WTF!? GRR hotel change???

Help Support The Pipe:

Time2Spare

I just read we are changing hotels in GRR....for the love of God why?? This was probably my favorite hotel in our system - it was super clean, new, staff was awesome to us - drove us all over creation, food at hotel was good if you had to eat there.

Why are we changing to a crappy Ramada/Radisson - say it ain't so!!! What can we do to change it back - this ain't right!

T2S

Bob

Staff member
Global Mod
It happened back in October... it's actually right around the corner from the other overnight, and it's closer to the Mall and food.

It's also got a free indoor waterpark attached to it, and it seems nicer than some other Ramadas that I've seen. I haven't physically stayed in it yet (my parents live in GRR so I always hang with them), but I have picked up my crew to take them out to eat, the beach, downtown, etc. so my experience is from their comments and viewing the lobby.

Hope that helps... have you actually been yet, or are you venting in anticipation? ;)

Bob

Last edited:

Corso

Yeah, the Holiday Inn Select was nice.

Another one that I'm wondering about is the MAF change. We currently stay at the Hilton downtown, there isn't much to do but at least it has a really nice gym. I guess we're changing to a place with a mall nearby. Oh well...

Time2Spare

It happened back in October... it's actually right around the corner from the other overnight, and it's closer to the Mall and food.

It's also got a free indoor waterpark attached to it, and it seems nicer than some other Ramadas that I've seen. I haven't physically stayed in it yet (my parents live in GRR so I always hang with them), but I have picked up my crew to take them out to eat, the beach, downtown, etc. so my experience is from their comments and viewing the lobby.

Hope that helps... have you actually been yet, or are you venting in anticipation? ;)

Bob
Bob, thanks for responding - I hope you are right. I have yet to find a nice Ramada, though. I just had the short MSY where we stay at a brand new Ramada and it was one of the crappiest hotels I've been at all year. Unless the holiday inn select kicked us out I just don't understand why we would leave this excellent hotel. I would find it impossible to believe that any crewmember had a problem with this hotel!

T2S

Booker

Unless the holiday inn select kicked us out I just don't understand why we would leave this excellent hotel.
Stupid story time: I happened to be in MKG (Muskegon, MI, which is approximately 42 miles northwest of GRR) last weekend visiting family. I was wearing my Gibson jacket sans flair (yeah, I'm a loser) while patronizing the town's Marble Slab Creamery. As I'm checking out, the ice cream artist asks, "Are you an airline pilot?" I think, "WTF?! I'm in freaking MKG; how could I be identified?" I reply in the affirmative. Kid asks for whom. I tell him. Kid tells me he used to work at the GRR Holiday Inn, but the management company changed and he was let go. Anyway, maybe that 'splains the hotel change.

While I'm at it, Merry Christmas everyone! :cool:

Last edited:

aussieflyboy

Yeah, the Holiday Inn Select was nice.

Another one that I'm wondering about is the MAF change. We currently stay at the Hilton downtown, there isn't much to do but at least it has a really nice gym. I guess we're changing to a place with a mall nearby. Oh well...
The hilton MAF isn't bad, except for the fact that the red-eye express rolls by each and every hour. After one visit I vowed I'd never return to that place again. I just about went postal after the 4th train went by.

Alter Ego

...in GRR...but I have picked up my crew to take them out to eat, the beach,
Grand Rapids and Beach: I never thought I would see those words used in the same sentence.:confused:

Bob

Staff member
Global Mod
Grand Rapids and Beach: I never thought I would see those words used in the same sentence.:confused:
Well... that's the thing... I try to tell folks that GRR is an awesome place for a long overnight. Your crew can rent a car for @ $30-$40 and then just head to beach in Grand Haven on Lake Michigan. Most folks don't realize how close to the Lake GRR is... it's only about a 25 minute drive. White sandy fresh water beaches, cool little beach town, lighthouses, etc.

I usually pick up the crew in the 'rents car and take 'em down.

It beats the mall anyday! ;)

Musical fountain show at night in Grand Haven

Last edited:

Booker

Well... that's the thing... I try to tell folks that GRR is an awesome place for a long overnight.
Strongly concur. Some of my best times as a kid were the summers I spent on the pinkie side of the mitten. (And the singing fountain is really cool, IMO!)

mack82

I just read we are changing hotels in GRR....for the love of God why?? This was probably my favorite hotel in our system - it was super clean, new, staff was awesome to us - drove us all over creation, food at hotel was good if you had to eat there.

Why are we changing to a crappy Ramada/Radisson - say it ain't so!!! What can we do to change it back - this ain't right!

T2S
I guarantee you some fat-a$$ complained enough because he/she had to walk 0.25 miles to eat and got the hotel changed to a borderline craphole that is now the Ramada.

Booker

I guarantee you some fat-a$$ complained enough because he/she had to walk 0.25 miles to eat and got the hotel changed to a borderline craphole that is now the Ramada.
Guarantee? Well if that's all it takes to change hotels, I need to put back on that sixty pounds I lost and start bitching!

ramper63

I'm in on the "Why did we give up a great hotel for this?" band-wagon. Just stayed there on my last trip. Three things!

1. The entry light switch controlled the desk and T.V. outlet. So, if you turned that light off so did the T.V., laptop, coffee pot, etc.

2. 1:00am...sleeping. It's not snowing outside and you're awakened by a front loader scraping the parking lot for blown snow just under your window. Anyone hear of a snow blower for such an occasion? And not at 1:00am?

3. Wake up, take shower, go to use hair dryer. BUZZ! (please note: short overnite, very little sleep and didn't notice when I initially inspected the room because the power to the desk was messing with me). It's not going to work because the guest before that fried it! Shorted out, blackened with soot from a fire. Housekeeping didn't even note if for maintainence. That makes you wonder even more about the quality and cleanliness of the hotel.

The staff is indeed very friendly and was very quick to take care of the hair dryer but I'd really like the Holiday Inn back.

MKFlying7

I stayed there a few weeks ago...decent place no problems...mall is right behind it (nothing special), movie theater has $3.50 movies. A few chain type restaurants just outside the mall.

Other than that there were like 2 feet of snow on the ground so I didn't do too much exploring...

Flying J

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

You are right, this is why we moved. Hotel didn't have the staff during the day to drive crew members 3 blocks to eat....and the hotel restaurant wasn't open during lunch.

whitesox

The good:

1) One night a week (I forget which) they have a manager reception in the bar with free food and beer.

2) Mall, Movies, and food now walkable in bad weather too. And it's connected to the Old Chicago (awesome pizza and beer)

3) ACROSS THE STREET FROM UCELLO'S!!

The bad:

1) The rooms themselves are nowhere near as nice as the old hotel.

So it's a tossup for me. I really liked the old Hotel (the hotel itself) but like the location better. I guess I'll take the new one in the winter and the old one in the summer.

Bob

Staff member
Global Mod
Very much worth the 29-31 hour overnights in the summers! Cheap car rentals and the white sandy beaches are about a 30 minute drive. Blue fresh water lakes, lighthouses, and a great beachtown in Grandhaven...

Latest posts