Well, today was the day

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by SpatialD, Oct 16, 2010.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Oct 21, 2010 #341

NightIP

NightIP

NightIP

What? Please point me to the post where I said what you "quoted" me saying in your first sentence. Hell, I'll even make it easy for you: http://www.expressjetpilots.com/the-pipe/search.php?searchid=140209 (Hint: I have 5 posts in this thread and not one says anything remotely near what you just "quoted" me saying!)

I'll wait. Don't you feel like a fool now? Get lost.

2. Oct 21, 2010 #342

NightIP

NightIP

NightIP

Seriously MobFlyer: What do you think the general public is thinking when they read a post like yours above, knowing full well that an airline Captain is making such remarks publicly? Do you think they'll respect us more if you tell people you disagree with to f- off over and over in your tirades? This thread has over 200,000 views; I guarantee the public is watching. Please, do us all a favor and get yourself together.

If you want to tell me to go f- myself in PM, feel free. Just don't do it in public. We all look like fools when you do that.

3. Oct 21, 2010 #343

xjetfng

xjetfng

xjetfng

Whoa dude... It's 4:00, time for your meds. You just set all of us back really far in the public's eye in terms of being crewpass worthy. In fact, I think you have shown a need for psychological testing for pilots.

Where did I say anything about not wanting crewpass? I do, but it's not the battle or issue that Michael had, that's what you don't get. Therefore, if you are unhappy with the reason behind his stance against the TSA why don't YOU make your own stance for the reasons YOU want instead of going on a crazy tirade on the internet? You talk out against the guy who has the balls to stick up for what he believes in and then talk out against the guy who points out the difference between that and what you yourself want. There are better uses for your energy.

I stand behind my quote. And by the way, what the heck does NightIP have to do with what I said?

4. Oct 21, 2010 #344

fumes

fumes

fumes

I don't know why some of you have such a hard time figuring out the content of a post. The point of the post really has nothing to do with Sikhs at all. The point is that she is able to wear the head gear instead of a traditional hat. So what is to stop a muslim pilot from doing the same thing some day? So the situation is you have a pilot walking through an airport with turban on and he passes right through screening...can you imagine what the reaction from the public would be? Not saying that it will happen, but it could.

Why am I even wasting my time trying to explain this to someone that is so quick to resort to name calling?

5. Oct 21, 2010 #345

mckpickle

mckpickle

mckpickle

How about if you get a job as a pilot you wear the farking hat they give you. I'm all for tolerance. They however should have tolerance and fit in. Religion has gone too far.

6. Oct 22, 2010 #346

D-Luv

D-Luv

D-Luv

I don't think it's fair to call one category of employees less trustworthy than another.

7. Oct 22, 2010 #347

SMF Aviatrix

SMF Aviatrix

SMF Aviatrix

I work TSA for about 3 months, just enough time to be trained, then quit. Most the people I knew were ex-military or former cops, most of them were professional, intelligent, good people. But I got placed in baggage screening with a younger more immature crowd. I quit after one night, I was pulled out with another new hire, the two "leads" (two stripes on their epaulets) aired mine and my coworkers errors in front of each other (I thought that was really unprofessional, I don't need to know what she's messed up on and she doesn't need to know mine, right?) and THEN they gave us a lecture about "why we're here" and dropped "9/11" a bunch of times. I was pissed, they treated us as if we thought it was a big joke or something. And you know what I had done wrong? Used my cell phone, along with every other screener, but I was sitting in a chair closest to the x-ray machine, with no baggage being screened. So nearby is ok, no SSI could possibly be broadcasted, but sitting at the machine, MAJOR PROBLEM. The turn over there was terrible. Which is too bad, because honestly most TSA agents I know are really great. These two leads were on total power trips, and were responsible for a bunch of us quitting, they later went onto some extra training (I was jokingly told "sensitivity classes.")

MobFlyer your story is happening all over, all the time. It's one thing when the checker at Target is talking to their coworker and ignoring you, but when TSA isn't paying attention and having personal conversations in front of people, it's trashy and looks terrible. Maybe I'm old school, I always drop conversations with coworkers when passengers come up.

We're always told we can work the flight and then fly out on it, but we have to be screened first. A lot of times TDYing with my boyfriend (also an XE agent) we'd get screened, luggage and all, and I'd store our bags at the gate, work the gate while he worked ramp, and then hop on, and I always felt weird having passengers not seeing me get screened, I don't want them to think I didn't and have it get out somewhere somehow and get blown out of proportion. At the same time when I am in the TSA line and in uniform and working the gate I always get weird looks from passengers in line with me and they ask "You guys get screened too?" As if it were weird or surprising. And I think crew members, with their uniforms and luggage and all, look a lot more legit to bypass than any of us that look like every other airline airport agent, especially these regional airports, where every regional carrier has the same black slacks blue oxford uniform.

The fact that CrewPASS has been "testing" for over a year and isn't everywhere is crazy. What's the hold up? "An average of 350 pilots now use CrewPASS daily....[at three airports'" How come that doesn't seem like a whole lot? Does anyone have any more info on the launching of CrewPASS elsewhere?

</random> <apology for long and rabbling> Thank you and have a nice night!

8. Oct 22, 2010 #348

Fats Schindee

Fats Schindee

Fats Schindee

Hey Michael, good for you for standing up for what you believe in. Cheers.

[​IMG]

9. Oct 22, 2010 #349

APU

APU

APU

The reaction from the public is the public's problem (Interestingly, this same argument was made to deny Marlon Green a job by Continental). I think that the person should wear whatever headgear is approved by the company. If they approve that, then so be it. However, if she has gone through a 10 year background check, if she has a company CREW ID, if she has an airman certificate, is in CASS, and has otherwise demonstrated all of the qualifications and abilities required of a company pilot, then she should be allowed to pass right through screening irrespective of whatever headgear/uniform variation her company approves.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. Oct 22, 2010 #350

UPS

UPS

UPS

He is going to be on Good Morning America in a few minutes !!!

11. Oct 22, 2010 #351

suitcase

suitcase

suitcase

I've flown with Mike, a really nice guy. But that interview was painful to watch. He actually said he would lose his job over this if need be. Good luck buddy...

12. Oct 22, 2010 #352

post911

post911

post911

Fine. Less researched, verified, and documented. Geebus.

13. Oct 23, 2010 #353

D-Luv

D-Luv

D-Luv

Actually, they've all gone though the same background check we have.

14. Oct 23, 2010 #354

Famos_Amos

Famos_Amos

Famos_Amos

15. Nov 8, 2010 #355

TexMex

TexMex

TexMex

16. Nov 8, 2010 #356

irishpilot84

irishpilot84

irishpilot84

17. Nov 9, 2010 #357

V2+15

V2+15

V2+15

The Weather Channel just carried a story about airport security. Of course the 45 second "snipette" didn't cover NEAR the issue of this atrociousness, and of course Abrams and Bettes are a couple of pussies folding like a cheap lawn chair:

Abrams: "That stuff just doesn't bother me...we all have the same stuff. It's like no one has to say anything" (I think that's what she said).

Bettes: "It's all for safety...the ultimate goal here is for everyone to fly safely"

Whatever...talk about missing the ENTIRE big picture. I can tell Abrams hasn't been groped lately. What a couple of sheeple...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  18. Nov 9, 2010 #358

Fliguy2772

Fliguy2772

Fliguy2772

It's funny how human societies always seem to come full circle.

This is how freedom dies. Under the guise of safety and security, the people will willingly give away their liberties. So be it.

The government can keep us real safe. I suggest they institute martial law, everyone stays in their homes unless they have PAPERS to be traveling outside. Offenders will be shot on site. This will ensure everyone will be safe, because only authorized people will be allowed on the streets. The terrorists won't be able to execute any plans.

I'm going to write a letter to the Fed suggesting they just do this. After all, we want to be safe, right?

19. Nov 9, 2010 #359

ShamanEye

ShamanEye

ShamanEye

Ill back you ALL the way. BTW, we should use 1984 as the road map! I cant wait to feel safe...

20. Nov 10, 2010 #360

CLEflyr

CLEflyr

CLEflyr

It's interesting that my father has two views on this. First, he agrees about the invasion of privacy issues for the public.

That being said, his second view is out of concern for me. He says in no uncertain terms that if this will keep my son safe when he is up in the air every day doing his job then I want my son protected at all costs.

I have told him I refuse to go through these machines due to radiation concerns #1 and privacy concerns #2. I am a crewmember after all. I have gone through my background check. Even if I were to go through those machines and they see me naked (or even if I am naked) are they going to take my hands from me as dangerous weapons? My hands are all I need as an airline pilot if I had any intention of doing damage.