Tulsa

• Thread starter stupid girlfriend
  • Start date

Help Support The Pipe:

xtremepilot

You stay downtown, which is a 15 minute van ride to the terminal. Not much to do downtown after 5pm, as that's when most of the businesses close. Down the street there are a few places to eat (Mazzio's Pizza, Arby's, Zio's Italian Kitchen). The hotel, a Double Tree is nice but offers few amenities for free. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot to do downtown in Tulsa.....sorry....at least it’s not a 30+ hour layover, right?

yasir1212

Basically nothing to do at all in this place. The hotel is OK, not the greatest. You only get internet access in the lobby and maybe bar and that's it, no room access, etc. Nothing to do nearby at all, except a little place down the street called Baxter's Grill. And guess what about OK... the law there is that the beer has to be 3.2%!!!!! basically half of almost everywhere else! So next time you're down there, take a look on the Coors Light bottle or something and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Red Swingline

yasir1212 said:
Basically nothing to do at all in this place. The hotel is OK, not the greatest. You only get internet access in the lobby and maybe bar and that's it, no room access, etc. Nothing to do nearby at all, except a little place down the street called Baxter's Grill. And guess what about OK... the law there is that the beer has to be 3.2%!!!!! basically half of almost everywhere else! So next time you're down there, take a look on the Coors Light bottle or something and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ah yes, Oklahoma's 3 point beer law. Best to stick with liquor there.

rjshed

yasir1212 said:
So wait a minute. I was at Baxter's yesterday and very much considered a beer. They had Sierra Nevada on tap, which anyone with a clue knows rules especially for the added alcohol content. BUT, in Oklahoma they actually water down Sierra Nevada? AH, why mess with the good stuff. Thank god I live where people don't get their panties wadded up over alochol.

Bob

Staff member
Global Mod
I was there Sunday night... Dodged quite a few storms on the way in... LITERALLY... had to do some funky manuevering.

Anyway... we asked the doorman/van driver where to go. He mentioned Baxters but it was closed Sunday. So he took us down to Cherry Street, a nice little street with several nice restaurants.

We ate at an Irish Pub called Killkenney's. http://www.restauranteur.com/kilkennys/index.htm

It was very good... and the Guiness was poured correctly and definately not watered down. I had Blackened Cod with a Tobasco Dill Sauce, and a fricken wonderful dessert... I don't remember what it was called but it had Ice Cream that had a carmalized shell with several other sauces over a thin chocolate bread (not quite a brownie). Superb!

Anyway... Get out and about. Ask the hotel to take you to someplace good and they usually will.

Other than that... I had quite a show watching the front come through from the hotel window that night. :)

Bob

leisure suit larry

having grown up there, this is true. quite sad. however at the bars and liquor stores you can get regualr beer. liquor stores have to sell it room temperature though. i learned in college that one can 8 minutes in the freezer and it's good to go.

R

Rudder

I have to agree with Bob. Killkenny's is one of the better establishments on that side of town. However, you really can't go wrong with any bar on "Cherry Street." Just have the hotel drop you off at any of the restraunts in that area, then pick and choose your entertainment. BTW, I still live in TUL so if you have any particular interests, I'll try to send you in the right direction. :wink:

M

MiyamotoMusashi

I have a 29 hour layover there manyana. Thank god I have a good book.

SLAM! *click*

Thanks Bob, I'll have to check out the Irish digs. I haven't had a good pint of the black stuff in too long.

heater

MiyamotoMusashi said:
I have a 29 hour layover there manyana. Thank god I have a good book.

SLAM! *click*

Thanks Bob, I'll have to check out the Irish digs. I haven't had a good pint of the black stuff in too long.
Kilkenny's is awesome. Never heard of Boxty, but tried it last night it was great. There are also several decent brews on tap. I went with the Fullers ESB and was not dissapointed.

Van service is great it will take you anywhere within 5 miles of hotel, and with no delay's etc.. Cherry street and its restaurants are about a mile. Beware of the times for the Van service though I think 11pm is when they stop driving. At least on weeknights.

Latest posts