Thoughts on the latest insult of IAH pairings build?

Help Support The Pipe:

Fozzie Bear

My .02c is United has no idea the dire situation they are in when it comes to having enough pilots to staff the future. Constructing pairings to give to the line builders that give only a few lines above the min guarantee only seeks to piss off just about everyone on the front line at ExpressJet. By being under min line guarantee they are effectively saying go away and start somewhere else. The Aviator program is an even bigger flop than the CPP and pushes more good people to Envoy with a seniority number at American given to you on day one. If I were a shareholder at UA I would be pulling my investment now. The stock will tank in the medium future when Delta, Southwest and others get their Maxes flying again and UA is left standing no cards for expansion, i.e, no pilots to fly their planes.

jetskipper

I think you’re right, I heard them talking about the ExpressJet line values on Bloomberg this morning. They are expecting a 25% drop in United market value unless they can get the -145 more productive pairings, specifically in the Southwest region. At the current time Jerome Powell was still working on an official statement, but he seemed to be leaning towards more day trips out of Houston to keep the airline industry liquid.

Last edited:

pscraig

My .02c is United has no idea the dire situation they are in when it comes to having enough pilots to staff the future. Constructing pairings to give to the line builders that give only a few lines above the min guarantee only seeks to piss off just about everyone on the front line at ExpressJet. By being under min line guarantee they are effectively saying go away and start somewhere else. The Aviator program is an even bigger flop than the CPP and pushes more good people to Envoy with a seniority number at American given to you on day one. If I were a shareholder at UA I would be pulling my investment now. The stock will tank in the medium future when Delta, Southwest and others get their Maxes flying again and UA is left standing no cards for expansion, i.e, no pilots to fly their planes.
Not everyone likes to fly 90 hours a month. I'll agree it would be nice to have some options for bidding or at least trading to more productive trips. Personally a 75 hour month sounds like a vacation.

Of course, the flip side of all this is they could build lots of 26 hour 4-day trips and there would be far fewer lines. Welcome to reserve.

Fozzie Bear

Not everyone likes to fly 90 hours a month. I'll agree it would be nice to have some options for bidding or at least trading to more productive trips. Personally a 75 hour month sounds like a vacation.

Of course, the flip side of all this is they could build lots of 26 hour 4-day trips and there would be far fewer lines. Welcome to reserve.
No of curse 90 hours could be a tough month depending on the type of pairings built. IMHO I would rather come to work for 3 x 22-24 hour 4 days, maybe add in a decent 2 day and have 85 ish hours and have 16 days off.

Come into work, be productive, maximize my productivity, maximize my days off. Stop these shitty unproductive out station sits of circa 4 hours, same crap at the hubs. If UA got their heads out their asses and actually looked at the crap they were building, they would realize that they could squeeze a few extra TX local turns out of crews sitting on their collective asses doing nothing except earning per diem. Lest we forget UA wants to get closer to moving us from flying 80 planes to effectively flying 126 of the 145's. That is not going to happen without someone in the ivory tower realizing the level of downtime and waste we experience as crews. Cut the sit time down to 1:30 so we can eat and use the bathroom around lunchtime and supper. Otherwise have us 1 hour between flights and get the gate agents to print the paperwork if we keep the plane on a quick turn. We have CRM banged into our brains from day one...... why does this concept not spill over into other departments ? Open lines of communication, and understanding of the other persons job and role would speed the operation up considerably.