Thailand

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by UPS, May 1, 2012.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. May 1, 2012 #1

UPS

UPS

UPS

I know many of you have been there. Anyone recommend good places to stay things to see and where the best beaches are? Also what us the best way to get there?

Thanks

2. May 1, 2012 #2

fazole

fazole

fazole

This time of year the eastern side of Thailand where Phuket is located is entering monsoon season, however, it only means higher humidity and more frequent showers, not constant rain that you get later on. http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/may On the western side, I believe there is no monsoon now.

Koh Phi Phi, near where "The Beach" was filmed, is a laid back small island and more backpacker or low budget oriented w/ very few big hotels. It is not seedy by any means, though. Koh Samui is supposed to be more upscale and is on the western side. I suggest checking out agoda.com for asian travel deals. Also, a good guidebook is essential. Thailand has accommodation for all budgets. Food is terrific as are the people. Knowing a little Thai language and culture will go a long way.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  3. May 1, 2012 #3

DTM212

DTM212

DTM212

I have no idea about where the tourist areas are, but Thailand has been in the news in the past few weeks.

Thai Bomb Attacks Mark Increased Threat
    Authorities Say Muslim Insurgents Are Stepping Up Campaign by Targeting Civilians After Blasts Kill at Least 14 People
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304750404577317350873160194.html

Cambodian soldier said hurt in Thai border clash
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/29/4451285/cambodian-soldier-said-hurt-in.html

I'm sure you're not headed to the border, but the bombings might be a concern of mine.

Good luck.

EDIT:
    BTW, if it prompts you to login, to read the whole Wall Street Journal article, copy and paste the headline into Google. You can then read the whole thing.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  4. May 1, 2012 #4

hindu_flyer

hindu_flyer

hindu_flyer

Travel Options: You can j/s on UAL or Delta, which both offer connections to Bangkok(bkk), via Narita(nrt) only. Definitely pick up a Thai Airways ZED pass for intra-country travel plus a back up to get out of Thailand. Thai used to due the LAX to BKK, direct, which on a ZED fare, is a pretty good deal.

Cities: I am diver so my bias is the underwater world. However, the beaches of Krabi and Phi Phi were off the hook. But even better was Ko Tao(turtle island). Try to make the full moon party, aka "thai buckets", on Ko Pha Ngan. It's opposite sides of the country so you need to pick which coast you want to explore. You may lose some time on buses, boats, trains, etc.
    Chaing Mai is worthy of a visit too. Less beaches but more history and trekking oriented.

I would even pop over to Cambodia with the Thai airways pass. You can kill 3 days across the border checking out the ruins and the killing fields since your in that region.

I've never had any issues with my accommodations. Hostels, from crappy to upscale exist, and you can get stuff last minute if you are unsure of your travel dates. Just negotiate, make some friends, and relocate as necessary.

The food and the peeps are overly friendly and ready to help, serve, and provide any service you need. I felt like a local after a few weeks.

Enjoy.

5. May 1, 2012 #5

211steelreserve

211steelreserve

211steelreserve

I just used the new Zed program and went from BKK-LAX on Thai Airways. It was about $185. That direct flight goes away soon. I think they will continue to serve LAX with one-stop service through Korea. Or, take Thai to one of their European destinations and get home that way. Go around the world.

6. May 1, 2012 #6

Alex

Alex

Alex

I second Koh Tao. I was just there a few months ago for 6 nights and was seriously considering not leaving. It's paradise. Food and accommodation are ridiculously cheap, and now that we have ZEDs on Thai you'll have no problem getting around the country. Made friends with a couple of guys in my dive class from Seattle while I was there and one of them has been writing a series of really good blogs documenting their trip (they both quit their jobs and have been traveling throughout southeast Asia for the last 4 months...). It's really well written and contains a wealth of information so definitely worth checking out:

http://alexpickering.blogspot.com/2012/02/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-ja-x.html

7. May 1, 2012 #7

Alex

Alex

Alex

You've got everything backwards, Phuket and Koh Phi Phi are on the Western side of Thailand on the Andaman Sea. Koh Samui (as well as Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan) is on the Eastern side, in the Gulf of Thailand.

8. May 1, 2012 #8

UPS

UPS

UPS

Is it easiest to fly into Bangkok and then take a train to these places? or are they close enough to taxi or bus? I am just starting my research so trying to get a idea on how far things are. We are really looking for a nice place to just go and relax on the beach. I would like to see things also but the other half mostly wants to relax.

9. May 1, 2012 #9

Alex

Alex

Alex

well, just as an example, to get to koh Tao or koh samui by train or bus is a 9 hour overnight ride from Bangkok to chumphon, followed by a 1.5 hour ferry ride. If you use ZEDs on Thai it's a 50 minute flight from Bangkok direct to koh samui, and koh Tao is about an hour on the ferry from there.

10. May 7, 2012 #10

ADobelli

ADobelli

ADobelli

UPS,

I'm in BKK right now about to hit a few islands! Nothing to worry about border wise, it's just HOT right now! When are you planning to visit? You can email me at CDobelli@gmail.com and I will give you the scoop!

11. May 7, 2012 #11

UPS

UPS

UPS

Did you go through NRT ? What islands are you going to hit? We aren't going for a few months just trying to plan early.

12. May 7, 2012 #12

Flying Turd

Flying Turd

Flying Turd

The monsoon season starts June and goes through October. Make sure account for that in your planning.

13. May 8, 2012 #13

UPS

UPS

UPS

Thanks, we are thinking December

14. May 8, 2012 #14

DanHool

DanHool

DanHool

I reccomend "THE LOLLIPOP 1" its on sukhumvit 10, went there last week, best money i spent in a long time. kinda felt bad boarding the asiana redeye with some stickey on my hangdown. i usually stay near rambuttri thought. dont take the tourst boat, total ripoff. Air Asia is great to get to udon... seats suck but its cheap. Kim Coctails is the best place to chill out on Khao san, employees are from myanmar, nice folks. sangsom rum is like 3 bucks a litre but khao lao in laos was about $1.25 to kill a steer with a litre of booze.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  15. May 8, 2012 #15

Alex

Alex

Alex

Also, when I was in Bangkok I stayed at the Renaissance Ratchaprasong, it's the UAL crew hotel. Go to marriott.com and book it online using the corporate code "UAL" and you'll be able to stay there for 50 bucks a night with the ability to cancel your reservation with no penalty up to 6pm the day of your stay. It's a 5 star hotel in a great location. They ask for your crew ID when you check in, I gave them our old Expressjet ID and never had an issue, not sure about the new one though (to be honest they had no idea what a crew ID looks like so I'm sure it'll be fine, or use your old one if you still have it).

16. May 8, 2012 #16

walkingdude

walkingdude

walkingdude

UPS

Go thru NRT and then use Thai to get to BKK. It was nice back when we had ZED passes, we could use ANA,JAL,Cathay etc. So make sure to check the loads on the Thai flight on the day you go. You can also get a Thai flight out of BKK to Ko Samui or Phuket. Ko Samui is a cool island and Ko Tao is very close,which is a great little island known for its diving areas. Ko Phangan is close by as well and is the location of the full moon party every month. Ko Tao and Ko Phangan is easily reached by longboat/ferry from Ko Samui.

If you head over to Phuket Ko Pi Pi Don is very close and is a real cool laid back island, you may never want to leave. Ko Pi Pi Re/Leh is where they actually filmed parts of the movie "The Beach". Krabi beach is not far away and is an absolute beautiful beach. Of course the nightlife on Phuket is world reknown.

Thailand has much to offer and depends on what you are looking for. Nightlife,Beaches,Diving,Backpacking,Hippies,Full moon parties,Temples,Girls, etc. Some places are better for specific things.

Danhool ..... nice recommendation on Lollipop! I prefer Lolita's on Soi 8.

17. May 8, 2012 #17

UPS

UPS

UPS

Thanks for all the information. Is December a good month for weather? I know it's a long way away but just trying to get some plans going now.

18. May 8, 2012 #18

Alex

Alex

Alex

December-February is the best time to go, it's usually cooler and, more importantly, drier than the summer months. Enjoy!

19. May 8, 2012 #19

UPS

UPS

UPS

How much money would you say to bring for two people to have a great time. Mainly want to see the beach and relax stay at some nice places and do some fun stuff.