System Bid 18-10 Award

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by Zero-G, Nov 15, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Nov 15, 2018 #1

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Well, that certainly wasn’t the IAH bloodbath I was expecting. It was definitely a tight grouping around TYS and ORD for destination of the displaced and awarded.

2. Nov 18, 2018 #2

AquaFreshJet

AquaFreshJet

AquaFreshJet

Definitely interesting that most/all went ORD CRJ and TYS. Though I don’t think they’re allowed to displace anybody yet. Maybe there weren’t any vacancies in IAH or the other positions they bid??

BUT, wait till they all flock to the 175 if/when the planes come and get sent to ORD. Wouldn’t be surprised if the most junior 175 pilot is 10-15 years.

3. Nov 19, 2018 #3

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Very few pilots will change bases for $5 an hour. Only a few more will endure a training cycle for $5 an hour. IMHO.

4. Nov 19, 2018 #4

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Except for the fact that most of the senior ASA folks are accustomed to nicer airplanes and dual-class, and I think that’s why they will all flock to the 175. It will be about status, not money.

5. Nov 21, 2018 #5

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

I think they’ll fly whatever they can hold the best line and have the easiest commute with. I’d just like to throw out there that the answer is not IAH until after Jan or Feb 2019 or so... ;)

6. Nov 21, 2018 #6

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Since any bid isn’t going to affect IAH until after that time, I’d say you don’t have to worry much.

7. Nov 22, 2018 #7

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

They all know that they are going to soon be flying an airplane that's extinct. Many of them that I know are not happy about flying the 200. After years of flying the 700-series. From what I am hearing the 200 is an obsolete POS. I think it's more of a matter of self preservation when the CRJ contract is up or UAL gives it back to AW. Hopefully, AW, TSA, GoJets, Compass, and Mesa will go bust and we can take over their flying.

8. Nov 22, 2018 #8

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

IDK. It will be an interesting trade off. Will a DFW based pilot bid for the dual class airplane or the easy commute to IAH? Personally. I’d go with the latter.

9. Nov 22, 2018 #9

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

It’s not an easy commute.

10. Nov 22, 2018 #10

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Easier than ORD or EWR.

11. Nov 22, 2018 #11

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Just because it’s geographically closer, does not make it easier. Anybody who does their homework will see that the ORD commute from DFW is bettter.

12. Nov 22, 2018 #12

Bob

Bob

Bob

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Mod Moderator

Agreed... It's not about "geographic location".

I live in DFW. Was based in EWR for 7 years. EWR was way better than commuting to IAH once you got used to it. I've never missed a flight in EWR and always made it home.

I'm IAH based now... have to drive @ once a month. Also have to rent a car periodically. It was easier when we did more of the IAH-DFW flights and you could at least expect 2 jumpseats on our own metal. But... even then, those were the EP's and were weight restricted if there was any weather. The old CAL 737-500's only had one JS and those were booked up and take by mainline guys if they weren't weight restricted due to weather as well.

13. Nov 23, 2018 #13

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Plus....DFW-ORD has a TON of American flights. There really aren’t that many DFW-IAH flights.

14. Nov 23, 2018 #14

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

I did the ORD commute for a little while.
    Winter is hell.
    $200 for a hotel some nights. If you can find one.
    Drive to IAH from DFW. Drive to ORD?? Ok. If you want to spend 13+ hours on the road.
    EWR-DFW is four hours. Each way. If you are senior and only have 3 trips a month that’s 24 hours of commuting each month. Junior and it’s 32+ hours.
    Finally, I would not discount that many of the DFW and ATL crews are southern boys to the bone. Deicing is almost an emergency procedure to many of them. When we had a DTW base very few of them made it through a winter. I would have been about 50% in ATL. DTW I was top 10. NY? No. Way. No. How. I was super senior there when we had the LGA base. Remember. We aren’t talking about what you want but what some of these senior pilots want.
    I’m not new to commuting. I did it for 15 years.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018