Surface 3 Common Issues and Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by metallifan33, Aug 22, 2015.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1

metallifan33

metallifan33

metallifan33

So I thought I'd start a thread with some common issues we might be experiencing on the line and any solutions we might have. Like any new device or new software, the Surface 3 is going to have issues and some growing pains. This is normal, and especially our case because we have a combination of new hardware, new software, and a new operation/use of the entire setup. Anyway, I'll go first.

I experienced the power button problem today. The tablet went to sleep during the approach, we landed 17C in DFW and tower told us to take E7, I wasn't sure what intersection that was so I looked over at the pad and it was off (asleep). I pushed the power button and nothing. I pushed it a couple of times with no luck. Turns out the tower meant to say M7. Anyway, on the commute home, I figured out that the power button would put the tablet to sleep (like I set in the settings) but it wouldn't wake it. The only way I could wake it was by double tapping the windows capacitive button. I thought maybe this was by design but it didn't make sense.

Anyway, I got home and hooked it up to wifi for the first time and performed a windows update and restarted and it seems to have fixed the problem.

There are some other issues (the apps off the start screen don't seem to launch every time I tap one... they do launch every time I access them from the "all apps" list)... also some lag issues but nothing that would preclude use (like the power button issue).

I'm curious to see what others are experiencing.

2. Aug 22, 2015 #2

knob

knob

knob

In battery saver mode the dam thing falls asleep when you need it most! I just turn that off for taxi takeoff and landing but of course it eats battery faster

3. Aug 22, 2015 #3

idb

idb

idb

1st issue. I don't have one. Good idea need a place for all to go get info and tips.

4. Aug 22, 2015 #4

flightplans69

flightplans69

flightplans69

You can manipulate the sleep and screen settings to correct this.

5. Aug 22, 2015 #5

balsone

balsone

balsone

Yea just go into the settings in the jepp app and slide the bar for not allowing it to go to sleep.

6. Aug 22, 2015 #6

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

Issue, using the MS SURFACE

Solution, should have been the iPad.

7. Aug 22, 2015 #7

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

When I get about 30 to 20 minutes to land I set the sleep function to not allow sleep. A frustration occurs though whenever I hit the settings buttons it also hits the update button so I have to close that before changing the sleep function.

I've also had the device freeze up on me at times where I can't do anything. Can't even turn it off. My battery also seems to drain fast. I'm using the saver mode, but I do look at it during cruise because I'm still figuring it out. I had it die on me on leg three (about 8 hours of life). Are you guys turning the thing off during cruise or just letting it sleep?

8. Aug 22, 2015 #8

flightplans69

flightplans69

flightplans69

You need to make sure you turn the airplane mode on, WiFi off, blue tooth off... I started with a full charge and after a 10 hour day I still had 50% batt life...

9. Aug 22, 2015 #9

Hammer

Hammer

Hammer

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Doh!

10. Aug 22, 2015 #10

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

Did all that, and I'm not getting anywhere near that time. Does the keyboard eat up the battery?

11. Aug 22, 2015 #11

balsone

balsone

balsone

Screen brightness will make a huge difference in battery life. Prob is you basically have to keep it at 100% during the day to see it in the sun.

12. Aug 22, 2015 #12

flightplans69

flightplans69

flightplans69

Don't worry peeps. You have to realize that you're treating this tablet like a new girlfriend right now. You're wearing her out with all the sex you're having but soon it will get old and it will just be another piece that gives you no joy-!

13. Aug 22, 2015 #13

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

How do you look up the jepp pages that aren't charts? For example, the delay code page or the Airinc page?

14. Aug 22, 2015 #14

metallifan33

metallifan33

metallifan33

This is a good question.
    To get to the "other" jepp pages (Chart Change, Company charts like XJT Phone numbers etc.), you need to tap on the Manuals icon (white book) towards the upper left and select the proper manual. The problem is, the first time you do this you'll see that there are "No Manuals". You have to add them. You only need to do these steps the first time you access the manuals.
    To add them:
    1. Tap on the App Settings Icon (circular icon in the upper right)
    2. Tap on Updates
    3. Tap on Manuals (last one in the list)
    4. Check the check boxes next to the three manuals. (You have to have a PDF reader installed for these... and we do have one by default).
    5. Tap Save
    6. Tap Close

Now when you tap the manuals Icon in the upper left You'll see the manuals. The company specific information (like the AIRINC page) is contained in the ASE MASTER TEXT manual.

Hope that helped!

15. Aug 22, 2015 #15

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

Thanks, I did get to the no manuals part. I will try downloading them from home. I've had a lot of problems using the Internet in the hotels.

Edit. It did work.....thanks. I thought all the manuals were updated but I never did your step 3.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  16. Aug 22, 2015 #16

gofindanewjob

gofindanewjob

gofindanewjob

Great! Keep up all the posts on how it keeps failing on approach and after landing and we'll be carrying these flight bags around for another year when the FAA reads all of these!

17. Aug 22, 2015 #17

lap

lap

lap

I had problems connecting to wifi at the hotel. The Edge browser wasn't bringing up the sign in page. It worked when I used IE though.

One thing I wish it had was the ability to tap on the TOC on any manual and go directly to that page, like our contract document does (not on the EFB). Has anyone figured out how to do that. The search function seems a little cumbersome to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Aug 22, 2015 #18

metallifan33

metallifan33

metallifan33

One of the things you're required to do with EFB's is know how to use it properly or it won't work. Part of doing what you're supposed to do (per the FAA) is perform software updates. Software updates are designed to fix bugs which are a common issue when dealing with complex technology. The FAA understands this and has provisions for failing tablets. For example, if one fails, you can use the other one even to takeoff from an outstation to get back to base where you can have the non-working tablet replaced. If both fail, it is not an emergency; you can get paper charts faxed from dispatch or if they fail in-flight, you can coordinate with ATC to conduct the rest of the flight and landing. It's not the end of the world.
    Having a thread where we share tips on how to use new technology is not going to hurt anyone.
    If the tablets end up being a failure and they take them away; it won't be because of this thread.
    That's not how it works.

19. Aug 22, 2015 #19

metallifan33

metallifan33

metallifan33

I'm not sure how to get to the TOC directly, but you can get to the bookmarks by swiping down from the top of the screen. You'll see a bunch of options on the bottom. Tap on More towards the right side of the screen and in the pop up menu, select Bookmarks. From here you can jump to any section that has been bookmarked (including the TOC). If the TOC is set up with links, you can just tap the page number of each section and it will jump you directly there. All this works in the Jeppesen Enroute Manual (in the Reader App). Not sure about the contract; but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: So this works on the Company Manuals too. They have them pretty well bookmarked but you can still go to the TOC and directly access any page in the TOC. I would however like to know if we have the ability to create bookmarks for ourselves. I like to mark certain parts of the book I seem to access more often than not while in recurrent.

20. Aug 22, 2015 #20

judge

judge

judge

Could somebody please explain what exactly is involved in the year(s) long "testing" that we did?

What did they test? It seems like many of the pre-launch, and post-launch bugs would be discovered in a proper testing cycle. Wouldn't they? What am I missing here?

Hey! Let's "test" the surface for 18 months! Woohoo! We nailed it guys. This thing is awesome!!

Actually, the wifi doesn't work. Bug this, bug that, blah blah blah.

So what is a test exactly? It seems like they don't really test much.