Southwest Airlines Pilot window opens August 20, 2018.

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by Bob Trimmer, Aug 18, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 18, 2018 #1

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Still hiring here like gangbusters. I started this past November and already have 630 pilots behind me. I held HOU one month after IOE. Lot's of your coworkers are here, seems like I see folks I know almost every trip. Jump off and give a special "wave" to United and their CPP and years of buffoonery. Great folks to work with and the extra days off each month while making more money doesn't suck. If I know you, I'll write a rec. Good luck!

Bob

2. Aug 18, 2018 #2

TMAN

TMAN

TMAN

Good man! Thanks for the update

3. Aug 18, 2018 #3

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

What is competitive these days? I just talked to a guy that said 6500hrs, over 2000TPIC. Couldn’t get the rest cause he was on his way o the jumpseat. With a few recent exceptions, I’d say that’s all of us here with 4 stripes.

4. Aug 18, 2018 #4

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

I'm sorry, I don't have a good answer for what's competitive. The experience in my class was all across the board. Six of us were from ExpressJet, three were LCP, the others line Captains. Of the entire class half were military and/or veterans with prior airline, a couple of corporate and the rest previous airline. Pilot recommendations definitely hold weight here as opposed to United. Anything you can do to stand out from your peers is where it's at. Volunteerism is big here, they like XJT LCP's and veterans too.

If you get the interview, it's all about showing that you're FUN and have a "Warrior Spirit" and "Servant's Heart". Read the book Nutz! to prepare for an interview and get into the mindset. Other than that, be yourself.

5. Aug 18, 2018 #5

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

I will say this, COEX/XJT was great to me and I loved it, up to a point. Skywest and United ruined a great little airline. It's my hope that those of you who are not interested in United bail out of there as fast as you can while giving a single digit salute to United/Skywest. They don't deserve you. I tell the folks I fly with now that I feel like I got out of a bad relationship and didn't realize how good it SHOULD be. Southwest is that good. I hope you all can get here or somewhere where you want to be as soon as you can. Good luck, you all deserve it!

blackhawk and dojetdriver like this.
  6. Aug 19, 2018 #6

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Thanks Bob. When I get the call, I’ll send you a rec request.

7. Aug 20, 2018 #7

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

8. Aug 20, 2018 #8

wing-zero

wing-zero

wing-zero

How long is the window open?

9. Aug 21, 2018 #9

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Bob Trimmer

Not sure, I would not wait to get the app started.

10. Aug 21, 2018 #10

Austin Milbarge

Austin Milbarge

Austin Milbarge

It closes 8/31.

11. Sep 3, 2018 #11

TAF

TAF

TAF

I spoke with a chief pilot in PHX. He said they prefer 6,500 for the interview. He said usually when they interview guys with less time they struggle with the tell me about a time questions. Their whole interview process is about getting to know you. If they don't you won't get hired.

Also on a side note if you were a butthole at your previous job you can pretty much forget about going to SW. They list your name internally and people can comment if you should be hired or passed. They basically have a black list.

12. Sep 3, 2018 #12

david42

david42

david42

There is no blacklist. I’ve been told that by two different interviewers after I got hired at WN.

As far as being a **** to others. That’s just good advice for life.

One bad internal letter won’t kill your chances of getting hired. That said, I feel that getting internal recommendations is probably the key to getting hired. I was one of the few (only??) non-check airmen in my new hire class if that gives you any clue how much the majors like check airmen.

If you get an interview, your name should get sent out to the XJT pilots email list at WN. If you know someone here, tell them you have an interview so they can make sure your name is sent out to the list.

13. Sep 4, 2018 #13

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

There may be not be a black list anymore, but references and prior employers are queried before you interview rather than after you start trouble upon completion of probation.

14. Sep 5, 2018 #14

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Actually......they contact your references AFTER you interview.