Somebody explain to me ?

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by suitcase, Oct 27, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Oct 27, 2018 #1

suitcase

suitcase

suitcase

So, first time caller, long time listener. Explain to me how after y'all sign a new contract supposaly getting more flying bigger planes which means more pilots and flight attendants ? Then why did just tonight they put out a request for flight attendants to take 1 year long colas ? If your looking to ramp up, why this request. The cola request for us has been on a monthly bases, now out of the blue a full year ? Does not bring warm fussy feelings to me with the holidays coming up. Cheers

2. Oct 27, 2018 #2

TMAN

TMAN

TMAN

In regards to timeline and aircraft, what growth are you talking about?

Upper management's timeline for growth stretches further than yours. Year long colas are aimed towards senior FA's right now. The new pilot pay rates JUST hit airlinepilotcentral last week. Its going to take time to get pilots in the training center and on the line.

You can always bring back/hire new FA's a lot faster when the flying actually increases as pilots are hired. In the meantime, trim the bottom line. Here's a question.... from zero to hero, whats the timeline for a regional FA to go from day 1 to the line? Couple that with first expected delivery of the 175s in early spring of 2019.

My guess is, the company views current FA staffing as surplus and knows it can bring back, hire/train new hires to the line within a month if growth actually required it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  3. Oct 27, 2018 #3

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

After talking to my Domicile Asst Chief Pilot yesterday. I have to agree with Suitcase. Staffing is a lot more thinner than this company realizes. At my base it has gotten thin enough to a point that the Domicile Chief Pilot and his Assistant are having to put on their uniforms and fly to cover the operation. Not a bad thing at times. They get to feel the same suck out there that we do.

I personally think that the FA shortage is about to get really bad. Especially when you consider that ATL is about to close and DFW is not too far behind. Lots of Senior FA's are going to find that commuting from those cities to other bases is going to be a real beatch! I sure hope that our Inflight Managers are sending their uniforms to the dry cleaner or are ordering new ones. Because if several of our pilots are about to say AMF and go to Kallita, ATI, Atlas, and everywhere else. FA's are not too far behind and these Inflight Managers might have to get out of the office and go and fly. If they remember how to. Promising Pilots and FA's Boeing 787's is not going to solve the companies present staffing problems. And Yes at a recent Air Show an Envoy recruiter tried to hustle me to defect.

Just my two-cents worth

4. Oct 28, 2018 #4

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

6 months with this trajectory and attrition we close the doors. They don’t have time to keep dicking around.

redheadtexas and blackhawk like this.
  5. Oct 28, 2018 #5

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

What are you talking about? It’s 2012 and UAL can keep fiddling as we have nowhere else to go. :rolleyes:

redheadtexas likes this.
  6. Oct 28, 2018 #6

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

I think the company is trying to clear room for their CRJ FAs. How many are going to be on furlough out of ATL at the end of next month, and how many are there in DFW?. Maybe we are at a drastic surplus, but appearances from the ERJ side makes it look like a drastic reduction in our flying is about to take place because we are shorting our FAs. FA career progression is not like pilots in that they don’t really move on naturally. There’s also the other gorilla hanging over inflight right now, which is their contract. The ERJ side showed great unity and participation in their “NO” vote on their last iteration. Maybe this is an attempt to dilute the vote for the next contract vote. The company is pushing hard to save money somewhere, and the FAs have been an easy target as of late.
    But still, I think this is just an attempt to save CRJ FAs at the cost to our ERJ FAs. It’s probably just that simple.

7. Oct 28, 2018 #7

suitcase

suitcase

suitcase

Valid points, but why would they want to clear room for CRJ FA's and pay to re-train them on another aircraft ? Alibeit , not much training involved but still another expense when you're " trying to save money ". I'm at 20 years, if that laughable contract would have passed I would have lost 200 positions. Why make room for super senior CRJ folks who are maxed out in pay to come over here and shove senior ERJ FAs maxed out in pay down to sit reserve. Now the whole bloody FA group is basically maxed out in pay. I do not wish ill on anyone to lose their job, but we have no place for them. Anyways, interesting times ahead i guess.

8. Oct 28, 2018 #8

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Because it’s Atlanta....

It was the same in how they worked with the pilot contract in the beginning. We revolted and Tutt/Holt lost. I wish it could be that easy for the FAs, but it’s a different kind of labor group (one that is not having problems hiring qualified candidates off the street).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  9. Nov 7, 2018 #9

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

Suitcase

I guess it's sufficed to say. You and your Bretheren will probably get the last laugh. Talking to a CRJ bud of mine recently. He had two flights cancel due to lack of available FA's. With the company closing CRJ Bases and Furloughing FA's. While at the same time ramping up to receive 175's. The thinking of its all going to take care of itself. Ain't working. You folks are now in the same position that the pilots are in. Bases are closing, many of you are not going to commute on your existing contract. All leads to very unstable ground. Hopefully, the peeps in SGU will swallow their pride and make the big announcement.