San Francisco

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by XJTFO05, Jul 2, 2010.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

Hey guys, the wife and I are going to SF next week on the 9th returning on the 13th red eye. What is the norm on seat availability going there. Has anyone gone recently and had any troubles.

Also, what are some of the highlights to see while we are there. I got a sweet deal at the Grand Hyatt near Union Square park at $100 a night. I have a rental car also. What should we see in three days.

Thanks

2. Jul 2, 2010 #2

TheBills

TheBills

TheBills

Day 1:

Alcatraz
    Pier 39
    Aquarium
    Drive down the crooked street (cant think of the name right now).

Day 2 and 3:

since you have a car you can drive north or south to some awesome beach towns, Stinson Beach is cool if you go north, south you can go check out Pacifica and Half Moon Bay (30 minutes or so). Half moon bay is home to some of the biggest waves in the world, its not the season but you can walk out to the point where they usually break, maybe you get lucky, its a surf spot called mavericks, its a pretty spot even if your not a surfer.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Jul 2, 2010 #3

Rightrudder

Rightrudder

Rightrudder

Lombard St.

I would take a day and drive up to Napa Valley if you like wine at all. My wife and I had a great day on the Napa Valley Wine Train.

4. Jul 2, 2010 #4

Harder

Harder

Harder

I was there two weeks ago. Loads were thick but not too bad. I spoke with a SFO commuter who said to wasn't too bad of a commute. Agents were nice, seperate side security for crews (Think BNAs security).

Pier 39 was great, aquarium was below average (Save it for last after you've done everything else), we took an hour boat ride under the Golden Gate bridge and around Alcatraz. $48 for two adults, and it's an open ended ticket with boats leaving every 45 minutes.

Hung around the Wharf the whole time as we didn't have a car and my wife had a conference in the daytime. It was nice but you could do the whole Fishermans Wharf in a day. I whish we had more time to go out to Napa.

5. Jul 2, 2010 #5

modesto2

modesto2

modesto2

Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Car, Chinatown, North Beach (Italian district), Lombard Street (crooked lane), Union Square (shopping), Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Twin Peaks (awesome view overlooking the City), Pacific Heights (boutique shopping), and the Marina (great views of the Bay). That'll all take you a full three days or so. Definitely do a day trip to Sonoma and/or Napa for wine-tasting. Spend another day in the North Bay in beautiful Sausalito and then drive to Muir Woods, Stinson Beach and Point Reyes. Finally, spend another day south in Monterey, Big Sur and Carmel. You won't be disappointed! That should easily fill your week. SFO loads are usually quite full, so prepare yourself. Make sure you eat tons of seafood and chow down in Chinatown and North Beach, too. Great food, awesome weather, and gorgeous scenery should make it a great trip. Welcome to SF! Hope you enjoy your stay and send me a message if you want more info :)

6. Jul 2, 2010 #6

seattlepilot984

seattlepilot984

seattlepilot984

While you're there check out the new xjt uax crew room. It's a done deal the ink just dried a few minutes ago. Announcement will be made Monday. You heard it here first...

7. Jul 2, 2010 #7

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

Of all the touristy things you do, put Alcatraz on the priority. You won't regret it. You used to be able to just walk around on Pier 39 and show up to do a tour of Alcatraz, but I think those days are gone. I believe you have to get tickets in advance now. Look into that.

Also, if you are a baseball fan, or your team happens to be in town, the Giants play in one of the most beautiful stadiums in sports.

The loads always suck. If all the flights are oversold, I've always had the best luck hitting the earliest one. More no shows, I guess, but you have to get up so early, it's like a red eye. (The Red Eye's have a nasty habit of filling up to capacity, sometimes at the last minute as well).

8. Jul 2, 2010 #8

jontmiller

jontmiller

jontmiller

Well, call my cynical....

I would skip alcatraz and the wharf, go walking...lots of walking, North Beach for great food (heck, the whole city has good food) Golden Gate park, walk across the bridge, go see the Yoda fountain at the Presidio, go see the redwoods, Carmel if you want to go for a drive, the Cable Car Musuem is FREE and well done,

9. Jul 2, 2010 #9

xjt2cal

xjt2cal

xjt2cal

YOU NEED TO GO ONLINE AND GET TICKETS TO ALCATRAZ. In the summer they sell out and their is a 3-4 day wait. Otherwise, awesome place for a long weekend.

As a side note parking is very difficult and expansive in the city you will pay more to park your car than you will on the rental. I went last summer for four days and only rented a car for one day. Their are rental places all around Union Square. San Francisco is a great walking city I recommend ditching the car and taking the train from the airport.
    Have Fun

P.S. YOU NEED TO GO ONLINE AND GET ALCATRAZ TICKETS NOW!!!!

10. Jul 2, 2010 #10

CSkyhawk72

CSkyhawk72

CSkyhawk72

haha... that would be f'in AWESOME, but not holding my breath :)

11. Jul 2, 2010 #11

UTAviator

UTAviator

UTAviator

Cross the golden gate bridge and head north on HWY 1 towards Point Reyes and Drakes Bay. Head towards the light house. Once you get there, you'll have to hike the stairs down to the light house.

google maps lat/lon: 37.996185,-123.021709

12. Jul 2, 2010 #12

night-ice

night-ice

night-ice

We are in SFO right now. We were at the GGB yesterday - effective yesterday, GGB toll rates are now $6 (free going over but you pay coming back). We headed towards this lighthouse - there is construction going on and they closed access to the lighhouse...if this is the same one on the hill that overlooks the GGB..
    As of today, there are no Alcatraz tickets until next Tuesday.

13. Jul 2, 2010 #13

TheBills

TheBills

TheBills

Are you sure we're not sharing a crew room with 3 other airlines?

14. Jul 2, 2010 #14

ipilot

ipilot

ipilot

I was always appalled at the tolls in the Bay Area...until I moved to NYC! =:-O

15. Jul 2, 2010 #15

ducdriver

ducdriver

ducdriver

Go to the Academy of Science in golden gate park, one of the most interesting places in SF.

16. Jul 2, 2010 #16

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

thanks a lot, looks like tons of good stuff

17. Jul 2, 2010 #17

UTAviator

UTAviator

UTAviator

No, this is a different light house. This one is further north on HWY 1 (Southwest corner/Pacific side of the Point Reyes National Park). The road actually ends at the top of the hill above the light house. You'll have to hike quite a ways down the stairs to the lighthouse. The view itself is well worth it. google map it and enter the lat/lon I gave you.

18. Jul 2, 2010 #18

Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Bike the Golden Gate bridge and head over to Sausalito. I'm not a big exercise nut, but it was actually a great time. You can take to ferry back to SF. Sausalito is amazing.

19. Jul 2, 2010 #19

EMcx3

EMcx3

EMcx3

If the weather is good this is a great experience.

Since you have a car, get on the Bay Bridge toward Oakland (free direction) and get off on Yerba Buena Island and drive down to the waters edge. Absolutely one of the greatest views in the world night or day.

And please do more than Fisherman's Wharf which locals think a horrible tourist trap.

20. Jul 3, 2010 #20

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

XJTFO05

we plan on it. I have been there before, first time for my wife. We plan to see Fishermans Warf only as we are going to the ferry to Alcatraz. I have never ventured outside of SF to the surrounding areas and plan to this time around. All the information provided has been very helpful. I just booked our Alcatraz tickets.