Right Guy for the MEC Chair

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by Springfield, Jun 3, 2011.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Jun 3, 2011 #1

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

So who is the right guy to be the next MEC Chair?

Is is the guy who post a lot on the crackpipe about how every one and everything at the union is screwed up? Maybe.

Is it a line guy who has been busting his a$$ for the last year and a half, but then, by definition has NOT really been involved in union affairs (remember, he's been busting his a$$ on the line for the last year and a half).

Is it a Flight Instructor?

But who does know the right guy for the next MEC Chair? Who do you trust to make that decision? Do you trust the MEC? Do you trust your rep? Do you trust the consensus of the crackpipe posters? If Bill Dressler gave his opinion, would you trust that?

OK, I'm having fun being the contrarian here. I don't know the right guy. I don't even know who is running, though I've heard two initials. I'm just tired of hearing the same guys complain and be pitched by the same crowd on the crackpipe.

2. Jun 3, 2011 #2

Puck

Puck

Puck

ok I'll bite. Any one of the 3.5 CA reps. At least I know they have been flying the line and know what a "Chicago base" is. Know what an 8 hour reduced rest over night feels like. Knows what a reasignment by another crewmember feels like and to know that the union just "says suck it up". (FU Cash) I'm just getting sick of the "all about IAH and Charter" attutude. And have noticed that everything put out by The Crystal Palace about UAL is just crap. How about a DEN FIL filled with tuorist info. OK now I'm just ranting.

I'm calling out Chris Bellcastro period. He'd be my best choice. But the "choice" is his.

Thanks Chris

Jerry Bartelson ORD (Sky East)

PS that should get you crack pipe nancys going:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Jun 3, 2011 #3

Unverified

Unverified

Unverified

No! This needs to be someone that knows what we are dealing with on a daily basis. Someone that is getting run ragged with the work schedule, someone that gets harassed every day by the TSA, someone that worries about getting reassigned after the end of EVERY pairing... A F/I, especially one that has little union experience, has NO business running the MEC. Nice guy or not... Only a line pilot should have this honor.

We tried having a flight instructor as MEC Chair. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. No thanks, not again.

4. Jun 3, 2011 #4

Unverified

Unverified

Unverified

FYI: This person was instrumental in bringing in Cash as MEC Chairman. Yes... Thanks indeed. Just saying...

5. Jun 3, 2011 #5

Guardguy

Guardguy

Guardguy

6. Jun 3, 2011 #6

Puck

Puck

Puck

OK junior, everyone makes mistakes, unless you're one of those guys. I will say this; his decsion and the rest of the reps, were based on a diffent time frame and managment senerio if that helps.

Jer

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7

Unverified

Unverified

Unverified

Look Skippy... :)

No. The line pilots never wanted Cash in the first place. This was obvious, yet he was rammed down our throats anyway. They KNEW BETTER and did it anyway... Now, just look at what happened... I'm skeptical.

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8

dalvin

dalvin

dalvin

Uh, you may want to re-evaluate that statement about him being junior.

And you can love belcastro to death. Yay! And yes, he (belcastro) wants to be mec chair (a lot). belcastro was instrumental in bringing in cash. There was also a HEAVY rumbling that he wanted to take the job from cash after cash was in office.

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9

Time2Spare

Time2Spare

Time2Spare

Sumner Nelson

10. Jun 3, 2011 #10

Unverified

Unverified

Unverified

Deal!!! I'm in.

11. Jun 3, 2011 #11

dalvin

dalvin

dalvin

All in!......

Sumner or Landry. Any other choice will just be typical political maneuvering. There is a lot of that going on right now. If these 7 reps fail on this the word recall should ring very loud. Of course, they will just resign though. These 7 reps currently have the choice to do the right thing and not go for the politician or who the chairman is telling them to vote for. The question is...will they do the right thing?

12. Jun 3, 2011 #12

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

OK, I'm confused. Bellcastro is apparently a great dude, but he also thought Cash was the right guy for the MEC job. So, if you believe Cash was a mistake, does that show great judgement? Does that make him the guy to change everything that you think is wrong with the company, having voted for what some think was wrong most recently?

Now I won't knock the virtues of being a bag dragger. It is useful for sure to have seen the company from all angles. I also sense a good bit of anger in the sentiment that the new MEC Chair should have been abused just like the rest of the crew force. Maybe then he/she will be less accomodating to the company? Is that the only or most important qualification though?

I think it's like the presidential elections in the US, where each candidate claims to know less about Washington than the other. Do you want a junior reserve bag dragger who doesn't recognize his own Chief Pilot or a senior captain who has seen a couple of contracts and has worked within the union and with management over a number of years? I realize the choice is not that extreme, but hope you see that there are other considerations to making an effective MEC Chair.

So who do you trust to make the decision? If not the MEC, then who? Some anonymous crackpipe poster with his OWN agenda? I only bring this up because of the inevitable chorus of complaints regarding whoever is selected. But if Bill and your reps don't know the candidates best, then who does? (And no, I'm not a rep. As I said, I have only heard of one potential candidate and him by his initials).

I like the comment about how Bill is a great and honest guy. Do you think Bill will back a candidate this time or will he just leave the process alone and accept whoever is picked?

Interesting stuff. When did you say the vote was?

13. Jun 3, 2011 #13

dalvin

dalvin

dalvin

Serious question -- is that what you instructors call line pilots?

Yes.

14. Jun 3, 2011 #14

Puck

Puck

Puck

Wait, wait,wait... So now we're going down the road that anyone that voted for Cash is "tainted" and can never show good judgment?? WOW you guys floor me. I said Bellcastro, because he is the one that I personally know best. He flys the line, and he has set reserve for more than two months. How about Thad for that matter. Or Bly, or even Bennett.

But now you made your argument I'm changing my vote to Peter Sailer. Well, I know he didn't vote for Cash and he is from IAH he's a shoe-in.

All kidding aside. I just want (like most guys I fly with) someone that knows the rules/procedures. But also has seen the inside of aircarft 136 since we've picked it up from Brazil. I'm not saying that all the "school house" guys are unqualified but when they make jokes during my PC's about reduced rest for them being a shortened rould of golf because they have to do a type ride. I think they might be alittle out of touch.

PS you are junior to me since I never found "Unverified" on the seinority list. Sign your name and get some respect.

Jerry Bartelson

Talk to ya more tomarrow, am trips and all.

15. Jun 3, 2011 #15

dalvin

dalvin

dalvin

Well, he's already given all the crack pipe names he knows to alpa and management so why not?

16. Jun 3, 2011 #16

Hard Landing

Hard Landing

Hard Landing

Looking into the future!!

No. The line pilots never wanted "PBS" in the first place. This was obvious, yet "PBS" was rammed down our throats anyway. They KNEW BETTER and did it anyway... Now, just look at what happened... I'm skeptical.

17. Jun 3, 2011 #17

Looking for a trade

Looking for a trade

Looking for a trade

I know you were kidding a little but just to be clear there has never been an MEC Chairman from IAH. That is just plain politics. There are over 1000 pilots in IAH and yet no MEC Chair. Strange huh?

Dave

18. Jun 3, 2011 #18

Diane Myers

Diane Myers

Diane Myers

Sam Landry.

19. Jun 3, 2011 #19

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Actually, I've never heard anyone refer to line pilots as "bag draggers". As i typed my post, I thought I recalled Unverified mention "dragging" above, but I suppose my memory slurred "ragged" and "harrassed" by the TSA. Are you offended, maybe by the unintended similarity with a different term "knuckle dragger"?

I did search the Pipe for the term and did not find it. If pilots decide that it is a badge of honor, like the mechanics "knuckle buster", as a way to differentiate from "pencil pushers" (or "button pushers"), maybe I'll be onto something.

20. Jun 3, 2011 #20

bluedevils

bluedevils

bluedevils

Sam has always impressed me with his thoughtfulness, energy, involvement, and concern for Joe-average-pilot. With his seniority, the crap he's taken over the years from the "good ole boy" network, and that he lives in Cali ... I'm blown away he even still has any interest in the gig. He
    Would get my vote in a heartbeat. I hope back-room politics doesn't leave him on the outside looking in AGAIN ...