Premium hike

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by DirkDiggler, Oct 23, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Oct 23, 2018 #1

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

2018 EPO 90 Monthly amount
    Employee Only $157.56
    Employee + Spouse $347.00
    Employee + Child(ren) $283.76
    Employee + Family $472.94

2019 EPO 90 Monthly amount
    Employee Only $205.14
    Employee + Spouse $451.79
    Employee + Child(ren) $369.46
    Employee + Family $615.76

There's our ~$3/hr pay raise right there.

2. Oct 23, 2018 #2

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

And that’s 6 times the family rate I was paying 14 years ago un-supplemented.

3. Oct 23, 2018 #3

owl

owl

owl

I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyways.

Ready for Universal Healthcare anyone?

These yearly private rate hikes and insurance mandates are unsustainable for both individuals AND businesses.

Even if we do have some of the best coverage and rates, If I had a public option I'd be out of this private insurance mess.

Just my 0.02

4. Oct 23, 2018 #4

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Only if it can be done right. Who's to say what right is though. The last version was only right to what it was thought would have saved his mother, regardless of what that costs the rest of us.

dojetdriver likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2018 #5

bman

bman

bman

Guys, keep this in mind. No group coverage plan I have ever seen excludes pre existing conditions. In fact I left XJT two years ago and opened my own business. I had a pre-existing condition before I hired on with ExpressJet in 2003. No group plan I have ever see excludes pre-existing conditions for an employee of family member. I worked for Southern Bell and State Farm before ExpressJet, no exclusions. I was self employed before ExpressJet as I am now. I can tell you I pay $768.38 every month now for a gold plan HMO in Texas and this is shitty coverage. That is 9k a year and you are bitching about 200 a month for a pp0-90, really? My current HMO covers nothing compared to the EPO. The situation is way worse than before ACA / Obamacare, as I know. Before Obama Care and before being employed with ExpressJet I was self employed with a pre-existing condition. The solution was, the Texas Health Insurance Risk Pool. It was a EPO plan administered by BCBS, recognize that? It did have a lifetime limit of Two Million but, it was only about $225 a month in 2003 and provided great coverage. You guys be thankful for the coverage you have and do not listen to these liberal idiots trying to tell you you need one single payer plan or an national plan to get pre existing issues covered. Trust me! I am in the ACA system right now and wish I could go back to the Texas Health Insurance risk pool / the way is was before they passed that bill! The ACA

6. Oct 25, 2018 #6

bman

bman

bman

By the way that is 768.38 for me only, no family members.

7. Oct 25, 2018 #7

bman

bman

bman

A family of three or four is about $1,600.00 a month, are you kidding me!!!

8. Oct 25, 2018 #8

PontiusPilot

PontiusPilot

PontiusPilot

No, thanks. These "liberal idiots" are right. Health care in the United States is a market failure. You're just talking about shifting costs around rather than dealing with the heart of the issue, which is a grossly inefficient cost structure, a lack of competition, and the fact that almost every civilized country spends less for better and more affordable coverage than what we have here. The ACA as it passed, without the public option, was a band-aid that didn't go far enough to control the costs.

We can and must do better.

punkpilot48 likes this.
  9. Oct 25, 2018 #9

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

It can’t work because the ones making the money control the policy, and healthcare is expensive because the financial risk involved in providing it. Liberals can scream their heads off about it all they want, but all they are doing ends up shifting the costs to “someone else” (you and me that pay taxes). Conservatives just run into the healthcare brick wall of corrupt politicians, which exist to fatten their wallets instead of dealing with the issue on both sides. The answer is not to make the govt pay for everything because the money doesn’t come from ether, but from the pockets of hard working people, and China in the form of loans that will still need to be repaid by those hard working people and all our children.

10. Oct 25, 2018 #10

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

I believe the TA had an allowance for rate increases, so there we have it.

I'm on the fence between EPO and PPO 1500-Had both kids on EPO, but now that we're off and running and nobody has any medical issues, the PPO 1500 sounds great and is MUCH cheaper. I calculate it would take greater than a $27,160 hospital bill to pay more on the PPO1500 than the EPO90, due to the higher deductible but over $4000 less in premiums over the course of the year.

ExBizJet likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2018 #11

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

I have had a close to $900k in medical bills this last year. It was a weird macabre for me. Because I had no clue why I opted to go EPO90. But, when the hammer hit on Nov 02 last year. I am glad that I made the decision when I did. If you and your family are healthy go PPO 1500. My view on insurance is like the difference in people choosing what car to buy. You have to go with what fits you at the time.

12. Oct 26, 2018 #12

predhead

predhead

predhead

I'm curious about others opinions on the consumer advantage plan. I am married with a toddler and curious of pro/cons. The plan comes with an HSA that rolls year to year and if I take savings from the premiums and put majority of it into the HSA I can keep what doesn't get used and adjust contributions as much as I want. I know deductible/copays/out of pocket max/coinsurance are all higher but my family is healthy for now, thankfully. We dont go to the doctor often outside of regular visits. Is there something I'm missing? Seems like I could save money. Thanks for help. I am mostly ignorant when it comes to Insurance and dont want to make a stupid choice I will regret later. Thanks.

13. Oct 26, 2018 #13

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

All it takes is ONE issue, and being risky will quickly turn from “saving money” into “filing for bankruptcy”. The poster above didn’t plan on having $900k in medical expenses, and I’m sure he thought he was healthy before it happened. Obviously.....do what’s best for you and your situation.....but things can go sideways in a hurry, and it’s always when we are least ready for it.

ExBizJet likes this.
  14. Oct 26, 2018 #14

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

IMHO, with kids, the "consumer advantage" plan is a non-starter. Preventive care is 100% covered, but routine office visits are subject to the deductible ($5400 family...) so it gets expensive quick. The HSA is great for trips to Walgreens and minor issues, but even an office visit for my 3-year old for an ear infection last week was $300, but was just a $20 copay for me (on the EPO/PPO). With the consumer advantage plan I'd pay the full $300. I think this plan would suit those who are single and healthy, and rarely go to the doctor or would not get insurance otherwise. Also no prescription coverage until you meet the deductible and even then its subpar. To me, this plan is only an "advantage" for the insurance company, since their risk and coverage is minimal.

The PPO1500 seems to be a good middle ground-office visits are covered (and not subject to the deductible), you get the same prescription coverage as the EPO, and if something catastrophic happens the max out of pocket is $4K for an individual. But with $4K lower premiums over the course of the year, it is attractive. Coverage for a family of 4 for $264 a month sounds great.

15. Oct 26, 2018 #15

HopHead

HopHead

HopHead

Two generations ago nobody had health insurance. It did not exist.
    You went to the doctor or the doctor came to you. You paid what you could and didn’t get treated for what you couldn’t pay for.
    Health insurance is not a right and the insurance middle man is why costs are so high.
    The answer is to ban insurance!
    Vote for universal health care if you want to bankrupt/destroy our country.

16. Oct 26, 2018 #16

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

Thanks, you have contributed immeasurably to this discussion. I don't care about the political backstory -I care about how to insure my family. Don't like it? Quit and run for office, although I don't think you would qualify for employment leave. Does every thread have to be hijacked by political verbal diarrhea?

17. Oct 26, 2018 #17

HopHead

HopHead

HopHead

What I posted is very, simply, fact.

18. Oct 26, 2018 #18

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

I actually agree with you in many ways. I can definitely say it seems like it was easier to raise a family 50 years ago. But it’s quite frustrating to have a conversation when you keep getting interrupted by commercials.

So, what plan are you going to sign up for? Kids and family?

19. Oct 27, 2018 #19

kailuaboy

kailuaboy

kailuaboy

Life expectancy 50 years ago? What is it today?

What is it in the US vs countries with universal health insurance?

I will continue to choose epo90 because I think of it as car insurance. I'm willing to pay the premium for piece of mind when a monstrous disaster occurs ($900k in medical bills as poster above said happen to him in 12 months), my wife and I will be ok.

PontiusPilot likes this.
  20. Oct 27, 2018 #20

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

Where the HSA comes in handy. Is for the rainy day where you and your family have to need medical exams or scans. Where there is high out of pocket expenses that your deductibles and copayment don't cover. I wish when I had been diagnosed with my condition. I had been stashing away rainy day money for this situation. That being said, on our pay its hard to think about contingencies like that. When everything you have coming in from the company barely covers all your expenses and their is not much left over to throw in savings pots