New pilot-to-be

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by lebowski, Nov 28, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Nov 28, 2018 #1

lebowski

lebowski

lebowski

Hi everyone,

I recently received my class date on the ERJ. My background is instructing mainly in the old 152, career-changer. The few current and former xjt guys I met have been helpful and honest about the company. I picked the company for the base and the training department...hopefully in time I will look back and I made the right choice.

2. Nov 28, 2018 #2

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

It's a gamble. You're either A) going to look silly because of your choice or B) look like a genius if/when certain things come to pass in January. Welcome aboard, and don't hesitate to ask for help from your fellow classmates, instructors, or online as well. ALPA has some great resources and are there to help if you need,

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  3. Nov 28, 2018 #3

lebowski

lebowski

lebowski

Thanks for the info. Do you have any recoomendations on how I can prepare for training? I am just instructing mainly primary students, and I have a fear of washing out. I have watched a few friends resign during training from other carriers and I do not want to join them. Thanks again.

4. Nov 28, 2018 #4

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

Don’t worry about washing out. They’ll work with you and as long as you put forth the effort, you’ll be fine.

Memorize the limitations. Come to class knowing the flows. Cold. Have someone call out different flows and know how to run them. Have that down pat before training and you’re ahead of the game.

If you have a flight simulator on your computer, use it. Practice flying with the glass cockpit, basic BAI stuff. It’s a lot different than the 6 pack we were all accustomed to.

Ask for help.

5. Nov 28, 2018 #5

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

I don’t know if they send you the poster anymore. If they do, sit in front of it and practice your flows. Learn the memory items.

6. Nov 28, 2018 #6

AquaFreshJet

AquaFreshJet

AquaFreshJet

Welcome! Personally, I think you're getting in at the perfect time. You could very well be on the front end of a massive wave of movement and hiring here that may take place next year, which will do wonders for your career progression and quality of life. If things aren't looking very positive by summer of next year, then I might look elsewhere, but I think this is a good place to start.

I definitely agree with Shizzle in that as long as you put forth the effort you'll be fine. I stay pretty in touch with some people in the training department and they say the biggest issues are people not being proficient on instrument flying and terminal procedures before entering training, and also people being unprepared for lessons (not studying and learning flows/procedures). A lot of people have trouble with the instrument stuff because they haven't done a lot of practical, line style IFR flying before coming to the airlines. Therefore, they've never seen a complex SID or STAR, and might even have trouble figuring out something like an RNAV approach. Those are things you can easily study before training (maybe do an online IFR refresher course if you really need help here). Lastly, as everybody else has said, know your limitations, memory items, and flows perfectly. You will waste a lot of time in the classroom and especially in the FTD and sim if you don't know these well.

Sorry for the longwinded response. Good luck!

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2018 #7

RoyerYetlink

RoyerYetlink

RoyerYetlink

Once you get a login for the company website checkout the elibrary under the flight ops page. Lots of resources there and videos on various training maneuvers.

The training department is top notch and will work with you as long as you have a good attitude and are willing to learn.

Welcome!

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  8. Nov 29, 2018 #8

lebowski

lebowski

lebowski

Thanks everyone for the info. I don’t have any of the flows or limitations. They said they do not give out anything prior to class.

9. Nov 29, 2018 #9

sooner

sooner

sooner

Correct, and for good reason. We had a lot of people showing up to class learning things incorrectly. And as you know, that law of primacy is had to break. We'll show you flows, and how to run checklists during class.

Congrats, and welcome aboard! When do you start?

10. Nov 29, 2018 #10

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Instrument flying. Airline flying is all instruments, even in clear weather.

11. Nov 29, 2018 #11

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

You will have plenty of time to learn systems, flows, callouts, and profiles. When you do learn them, really etch them into your brain-keep in mind it's not just to get through training, it is how you will do your job every day on the line. So chair fly, role play, do whatever it takes to know this stuff cold. It's a lot, but nothing in itself is difficult, it's just lots of little pieces. Divide and conquer.

Second, if you're not used to class C/B or enroute ATC communications, get some experience now. The training department does an excellent job but once you reach IOE it's no longer a quiet controlled sim world. You will do some simulated ATC during training but the reality is much busier. The airline cockpit is full of distractions-you must learn to multitask, and many new hires have issues with ATC communications while flying-rarely are we just staring out the window waiting for them to call. If you can get the ATC comms out of the way it will make IOE much easier. Liveatc.net can also be a useful resource.

Best of luck, and welcome aboard!

12. Nov 29, 2018 #12

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

Lebowski

Welcome Aboard! You are embarking into a great training program. Our Training Department is great. Work really hard and they will work really hard for you. Don't be afraid to ask for help. They want you to succeed.

While you are waiting to start your ATP CTP. When they give your sign in. Download your Memory Items and Limitations. And learn them cold. Study in Ground School what they tell you and when they tell you to do it. Biggest thing. Don't build the plane.

During training your probably going to see lots of gouge. Stick with what's issued to you and stay away with materials from other airlines. Even though it's the same plane. The training systems are different.

13. Nov 29, 2018 #13

lebowski

lebowski

lebowski

Thanks so much for all of the info. My class date is 1/7; this has been work in progress for almost 40 years. Inaccurate medical advice 30 years ago prevented me from this path, but I was able to get the right info. and I am finally ready to fulfill my life's dream. Hokey sounding, but true. I was an attorney for almost 20 years so I hope my study skills will transfer over, and I will probably me the annoying guy in class asking non-stop questions.

14. Nov 29, 2018 #14

punkpilot48

punkpilot48

punkpilot48

Bring note cards to make flash cards. Best way to memorize limitations FAST! Super easy to make and easy to run through them once an hour.

15. Nov 30, 2018 #15

sooner

sooner

sooner

Questions are good. We're don't know how you learn, so questions help us out a lot.

16. Dec 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM #16

AlexD

AlexD

AlexD

Hey guys/gals. I’m also new hire, my class will starts on 2/4. I’m already have ATP written done. Should I start learning flows and mems/lims now? If so how can I get access to the info?

17. Dec 16, 2018 at 8:18 PM #17

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Welcome to XJT! May your class be full of folks that will be junior to you. Training will let you know what you need to look at before coming. Apparently, they are not pushing knowledge of flows or memory items before starting anymore. Just have a good time and keep your eyes and ears open with a good attitude.

P.S., It may be an entirely different company by the time you start (for the better).

18. Dec 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM #18

lebowski

lebowski

lebowski

I was told at my interview and by others the do not want us to self-study and just to trust the process. I start 1/7 so I’m sure our paths will cross. Shoot me a PM if you want.

AlexD likes this.
  19. Dec 16, 2018 at 8:55 PM #19

AlexD

AlexD

AlexD

Thank you! I hope see you on the line soon)

20. Dec 16, 2018 at 8:55 PM #20

AlexD

AlexD

AlexD

Do you know how many people in your class?