New Insurance for Legacy ASA to ERJ Contract Folks

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by Nomad, Sep 7, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 7, 2018 #1

Nomad

Nomad

Nomad

So, for the Folks that are transitioning to the ERJ Contract starting in Oct. in ORD on the CRJ, we have to switch to the ERJ Contract Insurance. There is a list of like 3-4 Plans and an HSA.
    So, what is the best (Cadillac) PPO out of the lot? I have kids, one of which is special needs and we need the Premium PPO Product & the best Dental out of the 2 Dental Plans that are offered which, I think, are Cigna & Met Life. One of my Sons is going to need Braces soon, so that's a factor as well.

I look forward to a decent Contract soon and working with the ERJ and now CRJ side of the House.

2. Sep 7, 2018 #2

Rob Munson

Rob Munson

Rob Munson

We have used the EPO 90 for years and have been very happy with it. No deductible and it covers 90%. As far as dental goes we have used MetLife. It's ok.

3. Sep 7, 2018 #3

eee

eee

eee

I Also have the EPO 90 ever since it has been offered. Extremely satisfied. I have had both Cigna and MetLife. Cigna is cheaper and seemed to cover more but found it harder to find a dentist. I currently have MetLife and don’t think I will switch back.

4. Sep 7, 2018 #4

Bob

Bob

Bob

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Mod

Another vote for the EPO 90. Got three kiddo's and it's an awesome plan.

Dental... not so much. We use my wife's dental.

5. Sep 7, 2018 #5

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

The EPO 90, as others have said, is our Cadillac Plan. Expensive but so worth it, especially with kids. No deductible.

The PPO 300 is a waste of time, it's within a few dollars a month of the EPO90 and covers far less.

The PPO 1500 is great for couples, singles, older kids, etc. It's MUCH cheaper but if you anticipate any major surgery/hospital stays it gets expensive quick. We were on this until we had kids.

For dental, the company plans are mediocre-the Cigna is useless and has few dentists that use it, and even then it doesn't pay well. The MetLife plan is OK but expensive. I use the Delta Dental plan through ALPA and really like it.

Welcome to ORD!

6. Sep 7, 2018 #6

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

I'm another "like" on the EPO90/Metlife combo. I use an out-of-network dentist, so it's a little more expensive.

7. Sep 8, 2018 #7

Frick'nFrack

Frick'nFrack

Frick'nFrack

Just me and the spouse and we have PPO1500/MetLife. No complaints. We tried Cigna, for the price, but as it’s been said, limited choices.

Vision is VSP if anyone needs that.

8. Sep 8, 2018 #8

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

When I first got hired. I had PPO 1500 then last year for some weird reason I switched to PPO 300. Don't know what I was thinking at first. Then I got diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer. It was the best decision that I ever made. Insurance is one of those weird things. You don't know what you really need until it hits the fan and then it's too late. Always go with the Cadillac plan. So, if you ever need it. It's there.

9. Sep 8, 2018 #9

Nomad

Nomad

Nomad

Hey, thanks so much for all the advice! I will go with the EPO 90 for sure.
    I am still on the fence with regard to Dental. I would pull the trigger now for ALPA Delta Dental, except for the fact this comes out of AFTER TAX Pay (I take the Standard Deduction & don't own a home due to the vagaries of INC & their Genocidal Tendencies toward our Pilot Group- hence my handle Nomad). In every other regard the ALPA Plan seems to be superior. For instance, it's tied to ALPA, so if you ever find yourself on STD, or LTD, you can still be covered for Dental Insurance at the same rates- well, for awhile anyway.

10. Sep 9, 2018 #10

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

The most expensive family plan is $128/month...the before/after tax issue isn't going to be that different.

11. Sep 12, 2018 #11

Nomad

Nomad

Nomad

How about Company offered Loss of License. On the ASA Side we pay for our own LOL Premium, but the Payout is Tax Free: basically, it maybe pays for half your COBRA.
    On the transition Forms for ERJ, I didn't see anything offered for LOL.

12. Sep 20, 2018 at 5:02 PM #12

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Isn't LOL thru ALPA?

13. Sep 20, 2018 at 5:48 PM #13

Nomad

Nomad

Nomad

Not for the ASA Folks. We get Company Offered LOL & STD for very reasonable rates. The LOL is a sliding scale: as you age it pays out less of a Benefit Payout. It kicks in at 90 days along with your LTD & pays out 1000k a month SSDI & Tax free if you're 55 & older (basically, pays your COBRA) and I think it pays way more if you are younger and has a lower premium (I never had to take it when I was younger, so I'm a bit unclear on the premium payout for younger Pilots).

ASA Contract also has, IMHO, very good STD Plans. One starts at 7 days and, of course, cost more & the other kicks in at 30 days and it super cheap. The Premiums are paid by the Pilot for whichever Plan they elect. Since the LOL & STD Plans are paid for by the Pilots, they are tax free and SSDI free. The STD pays out at 60% of your base pay. Again, the LOL pays out according to your age bracket- 55 & over pays 1000 a month.

Our LTD Premium is paid by the Company, kicks in concurrent with our LOL at 90 days and is therefore fully taxable and subject to SSDI withholding for the first 3 months. After 3 months the SSDI obligation ceases, but you are responsible for all Federal, State, and any Local Income Taxes, I believe.

The ALPA LOL & STD Plans are no bueno for a lot of Folks because of Pre-Existing Conditions clauses . It is also cost prohibitive compared to the ASA Co offered LOL & STD Plans which are NOT subject to Pre-Existing Conditions.

Our Company LTD Plan through The Hartford, however, is AWFUL, and I would humbly suggest that you fight like hell to keep the LTD Plan that you currently have. You most probably, at some point in your career, will lose your Pilot Medical & will find out just how important a good LTD Plan is, which IMO, is right up there in import with a good parachute when you most need it. A lot of Pilots end up riding their 401k to survive these kinds of events and harm their ability to ever really have a comfortable retirement.

I know they say that the current XJT Plan is "unsustainable", but the Plan we have on the ASA side doesn't even require you to be able to hold a Medical License for them to cut a Pilot off- it's a complete joke. I mean, what good is a Pilot LTD Plan that can drop you because a non AME Doctor says you are not disabled, yet you are unable to pass your Medical & Fly???

These are just my layman Line Guy observations of both the good & bad sides of what we have available as ASA Pilots. Again, the LOL and especially, the STD 7 day plan, are superb and the LTD Plan... uh, not so much. As we proceed down the road of full integration, maybe we can take a best practices type approach going forward with subsequent Contracts, or Agreements, MOU's, LOA's, etc.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018 at 3:09 AM