New car smell

Help Support The Pipe:

OuterMarker

You can find a website to support any argument. In the racing community, E85 is becoming the norm and it does not destroy your engine. Brazil uses E85 and there cars are made on the same production lines as the cars we buy. The 30% reduction in fuel economy is due to the fuel nozzles, spark plugs, and engine timing controlled by the computer. Changing the engine map programming fixes the timing (which some believe was done on purpose to make anything other than gas perform worse) and fixes the fuel nozzle issue by changing the amount of fuel and burst pattern. Better spark plugs burn for of the ethanol. I didn't even change my spark plugs and I only lost 2 mpg. And this summer I will be auto-crossing and looking at the events, several of the other cars are burning E85 too.

The myth that it drives up food prices is a little suspect. The majority of corn grown is used for animal feed. The byproduct of making ethanol is distillers grain which is also used as animal feed and is better than the high sugar content of regular processed corn. The choice between fuel and food is a fallacy. Food prices have gone up, but there is little to link that to the production of ethanol and if anything, there is more proof linking the rising food prices to the rising cost of oil used to grow and transport the food.

The best thing about flex fuel cars is you have a choice. When gas is really cheap (like a few months ago), use gas. When the gas prices run up in the summer, use E85.

FlowMaster

E85 is a good idea but its no where to be found (not to make this political) but I think the E85 protocol was something brought on by the obama administration for the increase of MPG for cars and energy efficiency. Chevy made a few models that were abel to be flex fuel...great! now where can i get this E85, only place I've seen it is at a BP and very select BPs for that matter. Good idea but i think it was a lost cause considering now we have hybrids and teslas and chevy volts.

OuterMarker

E85 has nothing to do with Obama. The model T was able to run on pure alcohol because Henry Ford new farmers could easily make alcohol with left over crop. Standard oil didn't like that and did everything they could to make sure there were more gas stations than Ethanol stations and due to the cheap price of gas, it won out. After the oil crisis in the 70s and the development of the EPA, the DOT urged car manufacturers to make cars that could use Ethanol. Ford made a bunch to test out in California. But by the late 80s, oil companies produced data showing new fuel additives would allow gas to burn just as clean as Ethanol, so the DOT dropped the Ethanol mandate. As other countries began to demand flex fuel cars, US manufacturers produced them in the mid 90s. These cars get different software than the ones sold in the US (even the ones that have a flex fuel logo).

As far as where to find stations http://www.afdc.energy.gov/locator/stations. View attachment 4075 There are 3 within 2 miles of me and one even counts my grocery store points so I get up to 30 cents a gallon off.

lap

How much does it cost to convert a car?

Wouldn't NG vehicles be more economical?

OuterMarker

I spent $380. Natural gas would be better, but it requires a tank that would fill up your entire trunk and back seat to get the same range. Flex fuel only requires you to change the engine computer. Flex fuel merely gives you a choice of what to put in your car anytime you go to the pump. You can put gas in it one day and E85 in it the next. And another person with my car said they got an additional 7 horsepower with E85.

lap

I'm not sure about the having a whole trunk taken up by a tank. Here is a picture of a Honda Civic NG:

OuterMarker

Mine is a 2 seater, so it would take up all of my trunk. Plus there are way less NG stations, I lose the option of using gas, and it costs $3,000-$5,000.

indytrail06

You should check into a used Hyundai Sonata. I had not interest in Hyundai until we test drove one (2011 or newer body). Anyhow, compared to the competition, it feels very sturdy, tons of features included on base model, great gas mileage, huge trunk and plenty of back seat room. In my opinion its a big bang for your buck type of car.

whitesox

No one mentioned the new Mazda 3 yet? I have a 2014 and absolutely love it. It's as sporty as you're going to find this side of a GTI, drives just as nice as my BMW 128 did, gets great MPG, and was voted by Car And Driver magazine as "Best Interior Under $30,000. http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-best-car-interior-available-for-under-30000-is-in-a-mazda/

I've put 25k mile on it in 15 months as a driving commuter and have had to do nothing to it but change the oil. And there are plenty of internet forums. I'm semi active on Mazda3Revolution dot kom.

lap

Mine is a 2 seater, so it would take up all of my trunk. Plus there are way less NG stations, I lose the option of using gas, and it costs $3,000-$5,000.
It doesn't have to cost that much if you are buying something used. Also, if your home uses NG already, you can install a receptacle in your garage so that your car is always full in the morning. You pay for your fuel when paying your monthly gas bill. No need for stations whatsoever.

Endir1001

There was a guy the other day on another thread selling a used MR-2, red I think. Pretty cheap, but you'd have to drive it back from the west coast....

XSive

False, the conversion kit is about $1200 if you can read and follow instructions it should take you about 5 hrs with no experience to install. Second, you do not lose the ability to use gasoline. You can switch back and forth between the two. It's actually recommended that you start the car on gasoline and switch to NG after engine warm up.

Last edited:

Latest posts