Military Leave

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by schoolio, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #1

schoolio

schoolio

schoolio

Not looking to start a debate here.

Any military guys out on leave who are approaching your five year limit or who are over your limit - the company is cleaning up their files. I got a letter two days ago and submitted my resignation today as I am well past my limit.

2. Jan 12, 2019 #2

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Sorry to hear. You would have had descent seniority. I bet you’ll probably street hire into wherever you want to go faster than coming back here to use CPP though.

ExBizJet likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 #3

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Granted, things may have changed, but when I went over the 5 years they extended it without a problem.

4. Jan 23, 2019 #4

schoolio

schoolio

schoolio

I was at nearly 11 years.

5. Jan 23, 2019 #5

schoolio

schoolio

schoolio

I've got enough time to get on at a major now. But I've got four years to my active duty retirement, so I can't pass that up.

redheadtexas and AFdude like this.
  6. Jan 24, 2019 #6

AFdude

AFdude

AFdude

I just got a letter in the mail saying I’m administratively terminated for being gone the past 8 years, violating USERRA.

However, I am technically only 1 year into my 5 year clock due to the type of flying I’m doing. I had to send in all of my orders and and proof of USERRA exemptions. No big deal, but I hope it’s cleared up soon because I would like to return one day.

I can say the union isn’t too happy with this recent audit of USERRA policy though.

7. Jan 24, 2019 #7

schoolio

schoolio

schoolio

I can't really argue my situation since, even with exemptions, my five year clock was up about two years ago. But some of the lawyers I've spoken with (I work with several) have said I might stand a chance of arguing that the precedent was set when they did nothing after I hit the five year mark.

AFdude likes this.
  8. Jan 25, 2019 #8

GasPasser

GasPasser

GasPasser

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was Leave/Furlough Chairman before I left XJT in 2013, Delta had begun leading the way in the industry on auditing MIL Leave. They discovered dozens of guys in ART (Technician) jobs on “Mil Leave.” A former IP of mine ended up the O-6 in charge of the USERRA office in D.C. and had leaders from every major airline begin to threaten to go to congress to change USERRA due to the amount of Mil leave being taken (empty threat). But the point remains there is an industry-wide crackdown occurring. If you’re on exempt Title 10 or training orders make sure you keep good records.

AFdude likes this.
  9. Jan 26, 2019 #9

AFdude

AFdude

AFdude

I would say industry wide indeed. Got friends at Delta and Republic getting certified letters from their airlines asking for proof of service... and they are inside the 5 year clock.