March 21st XJT 177 update

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by jjsmooth, Mar 23, 2014.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1

jjsmooth

jjsmooth

jjsmooth

"Discipline of Pilots
    It’s no surprise to anyone that we all have been working under significant levels of stress in recent months. The combination of contract negotiations, the overall state of the industry, FAR 117, and especially the derailing of our operation have all contributed to that stress. But recently we have seen an increase in instances where a pilot’s response to that stress has escalated into disciplinary problems. This has been compounded by upper management’s increased belief that they can discipline our pilots into submission to solve their staffing woes.

Our base has typically not had a high volume of disciplinary hearings in the past, but we are seeing an increase in mandatory meetings being required of our Chiefs by upper management. In addition to normal scheduling and attendance issues, we’ve also been addressing an increased number of pilots who have refused reassignment or abandoned their crew and/or aircraft at an out station. There is significant pressure from upper management to assess discipline on pilots who leave from an out station when rolled into a day off or reassigned.

While we completely understand and share in your frustrations with scheduling and our current staffing issues, it is our responsibility to keep our pilots apprised of the possible company response to these actions. Any such refusal, abandonment, or failure to get released from a DH can (and lately, will) result in negative consequences to the individual pilot involved, other crewmembers, and the pilot group as a whole.

· For the pilots involved, it may result in a negative outcome for your career in the form of a written warning, suspension, or termination, depending on circumstances.

· For other crewmembers, your actions may cause fellow pilots to be stranded with a plane, unable to get home themselves, cancelled flights, or possibly the reassignment of fellow pilots to cover your flight.

· For the entire pilot group, such actions often reach the upper echelon of our mainline partner and could provide them reason to discontinue their relationship with ExpressJet, which will negatively impact us all by making achieving future improvements to contracts, job security, compensation, and working conditions more difficult."

Does anyone else just not care what happens to XJT any more? After all of the career stagnation and seemingly false hopes of ever moving on, I just don't care anymore. I've been to job fairs and have apps out. It seems like only the lucky or well connected ever get calls. I'm starting to wonder if I ever get the call for an interview if I'll even be able to feign enthusiasm for this fucked up industry.

I like my job when the cockpit door is closed. I do however almost hope we close our doors here at Expressjet, just so I'll finally have a good excuse to quit this train wreck of an industry.

2. Mar 23, 2014 #2

Hammer

Hammer

Hammer

It's sad, I know.

3. Mar 23, 2014 #3

Guardman123U

Guardman123U

Guardman123U

Strangely perhaps, I like this update. It indicates that we are getting the company's attention. They are telling us that we can't play games unless we're willing to accept the consequences, but it sounds almost desperate. Apparently these issues are being pressed often enough to make waves, so maybe they will focus a little more on resolving them before they occur.

4. Mar 23, 2014 #4

rascal

rascal

rascal

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

5. Mar 23, 2014 #5

metallifan33

metallifan33

metallifan33

Quit crying and fire the pilot.
    Oh.. wait, did someone say there's a pilot shortage and we can't even hold on to the FOs we're hiring?
    Regardless, we should issue more threats. That should resolve the problem.

6. Mar 23, 2014 #6

Stratopilot

Stratopilot

Stratopilot

My reply to the update:

"Well then, you better ****-ing do something about it azzholes."

7. Mar 23, 2014 #7

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

“The day the soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.” ― Colin Powell

8. Mar 23, 2014 #8

fazole

fazole

fazole

Business in America stopped being about leadership as soon as Wall Street took over. It is about extraction. No different than mining. You mine the schitt out of the place until there is nothing left, or it becomes too costly; then the miner moves on. Money is the ore, we are the pick and shovel. They are trying to beat that steel and keep it sharp.

9. Mar 23, 2014 #9

Hammer

Hammer

Hammer

Wow, so applicable here!

10. Mar 23, 2014 #10

SuperTool

SuperTool

SuperTool

I'm glad you guys are not afraid to put your foot down and not giving in to the bs. This is just another example of how BH &co, and alpa are putting the company's problems on the backs of the pilots.

11. Mar 23, 2014 #11

jjsmooth

jjsmooth

jjsmooth

Sick calls are now my way of coping. I can't stay here much more than another year. I am certain I'll be fired for sick calls or I'll quit because I hate this company so much.

If this place tanks before I move on, I'm done flying. There is no way I'll go back to day one regional pay. If I get downgraded I'm done. I've done all the dues paying I'm going to do. This place has sucked the life out of me. I've been considering my backup career plans more and more lately. I'm pretty sure I'd be ok with getting fired tomorrow. I won't miss much at this sinking ship other than the crews.

12. Mar 23, 2014 #12

fazole

fazole

fazole

If one decides to bail on this whole thing, one might consider giving a press interview hypothetically. Also with all the mental distress affecting one's state of mind, one might be able to make the case that one is disabled from doing their job.

13. Mar 23, 2014 #13

Av8fedon

Av8fedon

Av8fedon

I hear you but you sound like a weak man airing this out on a public forum. Grow some cojones and quit if you are so disgusted with your life or do something useful to change the situation!.

14. Mar 24, 2014 #14

captlonestar

captlonestar

captlonestar

You haven't been here very long have you?

15. Mar 24, 2014 #15

fazole

fazole

fazole

So tell us, Suze Orman, what should he do to change the situation?

View attachment 3635

16. Mar 24, 2014 #16

jacburn

jacburn

jacburn

Do you really feel this way or are you just trying to get those that are more senior to leave so you can upgrade in under 7 years?

17. Mar 24, 2014 #17

SAABoroowski

SAABoroowski

SAABoroowski

Hang in there guys. Believe me, I know how you feel. I was absolutely miserable every day I went to work the last year at Express. I felt Ill and just angry all the time.

Stick it out, it will be worth it when you move on. ( and you will move on sooner or later). It may be the same "job", but it's a completely different job if ya know what I mean. I know a lot of you guys want to say "FUKC it" and go be a cop or a teacher but give it just a little bit more time.

When you do leave and start at United, Delta, VA, Airways, Spirit, SWA etc you will remember why you started in this career and You will be glad you stuck it out. Believe me, it will be worth it. I'm about to get the biggest paycheck of my F'ng life, probably 3-4x larger than anything I have ever seen at XJT. I can't tell you how many times I almost just said, "**** it" and went to work for my wife's family business. I would never make what I'm making now and I'd regret it the rest of my life.

Don't let the incompetent Expressjet management ruin your dreams/goals/career aspirations etc...........don't let them get the best of you.

(Ok, enough Tony Robbins BS :) )

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. Mar 24, 2014 #18

kurwamac

kurwamac

kurwamac

I've been here 2 years, and at another regional before that. When I first got here things were 30x better, even two years ago then at my previous company, now they are 15x better, and decreasing ...... I've had it with this regional B.S.

19. Mar 24, 2014 #19

Av8fedon

Av8fedon

Av8fedon

Been here going on 2 1/2 years and have had plenty of other life experiences. What can I say, the last couple of smooths post seem kind of whiny.

20. Mar 24, 2014 #20

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

That is ri-goddam-diculous. "Disabled".....gimme a fukking break.