Is this the beginning of the end?

Help Support The Pipe:

Whirlygig

As a 30+ year MX employee, I would like to thank all of my co-workers for making sure our aircraft were safe to fly for our passengers and our onboard employees. I also wish the best of luck to each of them in their future endeavors, be it in aviation or another vocation. For me, it's been one hell of a ride, good and bad, but I'd do it again. I wonder if Gordon will shed a tear over the news? God speed, everyone!

THE END. RIP EXPRESSJET

Flying V

As a 30+ year MX employee, I would like to thank all of my co-workers for making sure our aircraft were safe to fly for our passengers and our onboard employees. I also wish the best of luck to each of them in their future endeavors, be it in aviation or another vocation. For me, it's been one hell of a ride, good and bad, but I'd do it again. I wonder if Gordon will shed a tear over the news? God speed, everyone!

THE END. RIP EXPRESSJET
I think it is safe to say that Mr. Bethune is also mourning this unimaginable loss. It was his vision and leadership that transformed Continental Express from operating turbo prop airframes to becoming an all jet fleet. He provided Jim Ream with the resources necessary to operate close to 300 airplanes to destinations throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. There were over 1000 flights per day averaging more than 1 million passengers per month during the glory days. We always had the best mechanics and the highest level of maintenance reliability in the industry. Our crew members and support staff did a phenomenal job with regards to performance, second to no other. Gordon recognized our success, he appreciated us and rewarded us for our exceptional efforts. Continental Airlines was never the same without Gordon, and United would have been a far better airline with his leadership. We all owe him a great debt of gratitude. We should also take great pride in our accomplishments. As a pilot in my 21st year with ExpressJet it has been a privilege and a pleasure being part of this great team of coworkers. I will forever cherish the memories and I wish you all the very best in the next chapter life presents you with.

Last edited:

metallifan33

I've been gone since 2017, but I just came here for some closure.
RIP XJT, RIP the Crack Pipe. Great bunch of guys and girls. Good luck in the next phase of your life.

Josh Verde

Very sad news. Lucked out in 2004 when American Eagle didn't hire me but ExpressJet did. Had a great time at XJT - some of the best times actually - and they'll always be remembered fondly.

Found this nostalgia on YouTube:

Zero-G

Condolences to all. XJT was a great airline, regardless of how bad life was on reserve, how nuts some of our special employee’s could drive you, and the fact that we really only had 1 kind of airplane for about 15yrs. There was always a way out, or you could hang forever (well, I guess not really now). To all my fav Captains I ever flew with, and all my FO’s that didn’t make it out in time (cause I told you all but one of you to GTFO fast as you can), I send my deepest condolences. I’m hoping there will be an Air Wisconsin style save at the last second, but I just don’t see how that could happen in this temporary “Covid 19 “ related pilot surplus.

G8RAV8R

Sad news! Best of luck to all of you. For a lot of us, Continental Express was our first airline job and many of us spent quite a few years with COEX/XJET. I was there 2000-2011. I thought 9/11 was rough but this is worse! Let’s hope we get to the other side of this before too long. If you’re curious, I left for Virgin America, now I’m Alaska. - JR

Sig226

Horrible news. I interned at COEX back in 2000 with the training dept. Had a blast, worked with a bunch of great folks; Erin, Elaine, Andy, Greg, Rick, Hutch just to name a few. Rode a few jumpseats, flew the brand new 145 sim while it was being installed/tested. Even got to chat for a bit with Gordon in his office. Just wish I would've had the foresight to get my How to Make a PA pamphlet autographed by Captain Bartz, talk about a collector's item!

Latest posts