Hey Hey good bye

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by chaser69, Jan 6, 2011.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2012 #161

irishpilot84

irishpilot84

irishpilot84

There is bound to be a lawsuit from one side or the other. If he is told he is back to new hire longevity he will sue because he was told by the then MEC chairman that he could come back at his old spot. If he gets to stay in his captain slot and keep his longevity then every pilot that was passed over for a leave of absence, anyone who was forced to pass up an outside opportunity, or any person that left and came back at yr 1 pay will sue. This will set a precedent which is my main problem with what happened. He was given special treatment that is not afforded to the average guy. If they let him come back then anyone and everyone that has left can come back to their old seniority.

I like the idea of allowing people to come back but it has to be open to everyone.

2. Apr 15, 2012 #162

aussieflyboy

aussieflyboy

aussieflyboy

That's the very reason why this won't be allowed to stand. If it's ruled that he can have his old seniority back, there's nothing stopping anybody who's left and is no longer happy with their new job to come back to where they left off. The judge won't be able to rule that way. How could anybody be denied their original seniority thereafter?? Not just at our company but at ANY airline!

3. Apr 15, 2012 #163

fazole

fazole

fazole

If you sue your present employer, might that not have some negative effect on getting hired in the future at another airline? Seems to me, that his suing XJT should not be a foregone conclusion.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #164

jacburn

jacburn

jacburn

5. Apr 16, 2012 #165

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

6. Apr 16, 2012 #166

Pull and Rotate

Pull and Rotate

Pull and Rotate

I think a leave of absence would be justifiable if coupled with a bona fide offer of employment from another company. The company would win by removing higher paid employees from their payroll and the employee would win by feeling he was secure in moving on to greener pastures. Obviously there would have to be a time limit imposed on the LOA. I left and asked GS for a LOA that was long enough to get me through initial training at my new employer. Just in case something went really wrong. Never had any intention of coming back, but it was good to know that I could if it did. It was short term, and I don't think anyone should be given a year to see if they "like" the job. But a leave just to get through training at a verifiable job offer would be reasonable in my opinion.

7. Apr 16, 2012 #167

lap

lap

lap

This may be true if the company was making the decision. But it's a neutral arbitrator who is going to decide. I don't think he will take possible future court litigation into account.

8. Apr 16, 2012 #168

Harder

Harder

Harder

Has anyone heard straight from this guys mouth on what his take is on this? Obviously people have to have seen him around the crew room or have been flying with this guy. Does he have a viable excuse other than "Yeah, I got a bubba deal"

As a disclaimer, I don't know him nor I don't think I've ever met him.

9. Apr 16, 2012 #169

nixon

nixon

nixon

I wish I could come back just so I could piss YOU off ;)

10. Apr 16, 2012 #170

boyracer

boyracer

boyracer

He's a good guy. You should ask him instead of passing judgement from your couch with your anonymous user names.

11. Apr 16, 2012 #171

b42day

b42day

b42day

Even if he is a good guy, did he not "cut in line" and broke seniority rules in front of a lot of people? Is he being "a good guy" to the last person who is not upgrading, the last person who is still on reserve, or if we furlough and downgrade again the last person to get downgraded or let go? Think about it...

12. Apr 16, 2012 #172

SuperTool

SuperTool

SuperTool

boyracer,

It dos not matter if he is the nicest guy in the world or a complete jerk, a bubba deal is wrong.

13. Apr 16, 2012 #173

azpilot

azpilot

azpilot

+1

Either we set up a legitimate way for all to do this or no one gets any deals. I'm in the set up a way to do this camp just because our industry is so screwed up and it would give people the incentive to try something else. For those in the when you quit you quit camp save your breath I get it. There are lots of people senior to you who won't leave based on the crap that has occurred the past 10 years. Yes it's their choice but they are also keeping you from better quality of life during your tenure at SureJet.

14. Apr 16, 2012 #174

Left Coast

Left Coast

Left Coast

Here's my prediction, and it doesn't mean anything, I'm just playing along for fun. I don't have a law degree and do not know much of anything about this case. But my guess is that this whole discussion doesn't mean a thing. You can argue about what is fair and what is not for how many ever pages you want, it will probably just come down to "It's all in who you know" type of ruling.

Precedent doesn't really matter. Yeah, it sucks, and It's not that I think anyone's argument on this subject isn't without merit or not valid, it's still going be ruled on by an arbitrator and my guess is a lot of people will be pissed off.

I feel this way because of questions like how many people were turned down from jobs because they didn't have a degree or they had a DUI or whatever and then found out someone else made it with the same "fault?" How many people got fired from their job for using drugs and then found out someone else got caught on the job using and didn't get fired? You ever hear of the pilot that got hired at CAL and hadn't flown in over two years? All because of Daddy. It's nice that this person was able to work in another field and make great money while waiting for a spot at a Major Airline to open up, but nobody else (in the same situation) was even qualified to apply for the job because of lack of currency. How "fair" is that?

It took me quite a few years of working here before I came to the realization that we aren't really on seniority based system......not 100% seniority. There are Bubba deals all over the grid. Just off the top of my head....charter operations and seniority, chief pilots and union leaders "flow through" deals to move on, flow through flow back deals, hiring practices, certain deferrals handed out to individuals, etc etc......just to name a few.

Of course, I could be wrong and he could lose his job, but I doubt it. Also, I heard once that every major corporation has at least 50 lawsuits against them at any given time. I think that has always been the case at XJT, but not sure. In any event I don't think the company cares much about possible lawsuits that could result from this case.

And just to be clear, I agree with the majority of you all, that it isn't fair. But I'm not gonna get torqued around an axle about it if the ruling goes the way I think it will. I don't know the guy, but if I ever meet him, I won't treat him like a leper or anything. He's just trying to make it, like the rest of us. It won't be the first or last time we get hosed over a bubba deal.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  15. Apr 16, 2012 #175

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

I'm sure he is a good guy, and nothing I have said on here is a personal attack. I don't want him to lose his job. I do think his seniority needs to be adjusted, and everybody else have the same opportunity now to do what he got to do. Him losing his job is fair, and I won't say otherwise. Doesn't mean I hope that's the outcome. And I havent been anonymous for quite some time.

16. Jun 29, 2012 #176

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Why do things like this just fade away without ever being resolved?
    The last I heard there was a meeting with the co. and an arbitrator, but the CA in question didn't show up.
    OK, so what is going on? We all know he should have been brought back with a NEW adjusted seniority number, NOT his old one, yet still he is here with his original seniority...

17. Jun 29, 2012 #177

SF3Flyer

SF3Flyer

SF3Flyer

Pretty sure it's right up there with Cash paying back the pilot group.

18. Jun 29, 2012 #178

Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa

there still waiting on an arbitrators ruling

19. Sep 19, 2012 #179

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

So Apparently it has been decided he can stay at his original seniority. Corruption gets rewarded...

20. Sep 19, 2012 #180

Chris.G

Chris.G

Chris.G

The decision was based on him having a degree or not in the end.