FNG seeking base and a/c advice. ?????

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by Capt. Oveur, Feb 17, 2014.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

My interview is next week. Presuming I'm offered a job and have any input in choosing a class or base, how would you advise me? QOL, cost of living/commuting, and opportunities for career advancement are primary considerations. I'm mid-40's, healthy marriage, teenaged son, living in ATL. Here are my thoughts...

CRJ
    Pro: Live at home during training, thus saving the expense of meals and lodging. Also, I'd "enjoy" a more gradual reduction in other income because I can wind down my small business more slowly than if I trained in IAH.
    Pro: Getting based in ATL would be ideal. How long before I can expect that in light of staffing recent trends?
    Con: Shorter and more numerous flight segments in the "typical" work day. (Or so it seems to me.)

ERJ
    Con: Training in IAD means greater meals and lodging expense, plus time away from my family.
    Pro: Possibility of getting an EWR base? That would be my next choice after ATL because my parents live 30 minutes from EWR. There's no better crash pad than mom's basement!

What are your thoughts? What other factors should I be considering? Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Feb 17, 2014 #2

VOTE NO ON TA

VOTE NO ON TA

VOTE NO ON TA

ERJ= Better Contract
    CRJ= Live at home so QOL increases

Regarding the interview, if you have a heart beat and 1500 hours you will get the job

3. Feb 17, 2014 #3

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

You don't pay for hotels during training, not sure where you got that from.
    IF you have a choice, always take the place where you live (CRJ for you in ATL).
    If you get assigned ERJ, your training will be in IAH not IAD.
    I would try to strengthen your small business, not wind it down. You should be looking for more stability (your own business), not less (airline).

4. Feb 17, 2014 #4

V2+15

V2+15

V2+15

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS....did I say ALWAYS? Live in base. NEVER commute for THIS job unless you absolutely have to. Even commuting for a "MAJOR" is BS, but at least you'd probably be commuting "on your own metal" (thinking IAH-EWR commute where there are no RJ's).

5. Feb 17, 2014 #5

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

Will there always be ERJ/CRJ differences even when there's a new contract?

6. Feb 17, 2014 #6

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

Capt. Oveur

I Knew that. Sorry it wasn't clear from my post
    Yeah. I was thinking Houston. I just mistyped.

Thanks, but I've been in my other business in various positions for 22 years and hated every day of it. It's a company that I can't maintain without being in ATL full time.

7. Feb 17, 2014 #7

SpatialD

SpatialD

SpatialD

I agree that commuting sucks, esp. for a family guy. Having a place to stay in EWR would make it more tolerable, for sure, but EWR trips have never been very commuter friendly so you might spend more time with the parents than you bargained for.

The ERJ contract is better and if you lived anywhere besides ATL I'd say go ERJ. But since they're doing their best to run this place into the crapper I'd do whatever is least disruptive to your life and DO NOT forsake your small business. In fact, screw flying an RJ to make somebody else rich. Build your own wealth and a legacy you can pass on to those you leave behind. If it works out you'll be able to fly yourself wherever you want, when you want, and even go home when you want.

...maybe not what you want to hear, but it's the best advice nobody ever gave me.

Edit: I just saw your post above. I understand you hate your current gig, but I'd still recommend something independent and entrepreneurial over this any day.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. Feb 17, 2014 #8

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

In any case, one of your deciding factors should NOT be where your Training will be held.

9. Mar 13, 2014 #9

kc0wmv

kc0wmv

kc0wmv

I agree with this 100 percent.

10. Mar 13, 2014 #10

SurfnFlyer

SurfnFlyer

SurfnFlyer

A new, joint contract would align pay and work rules, but there will always be fleet differences resulting from the way different aircraft are deployed. For instance, a large regional jet will do longer legs but fewer of them than a 50-seater in a given day; or an aircraft in ORD will do shorter turboprop-style routes versus IAH which as longer average stage lengths.
    I would not expect a joint contract in the near future, though. Good luck in your interview!