fmla question

Help Support The Pipe:

skyhawk208

Can fmla be split up when a baby is born. Like 2 weeks at first and the rest later. Thanks in advance.

drivintin

Umm, in theory it can. But the problem with splitting it up instead of doing the all at once is that after the initial leave, the other leaves are at the discretion of the company. So honestly it depends on staffing and when you want to try to use it.

aa30

You can (need) to take as much up front as you can. The first/initial block MUST be approved by the company. And, as stated above, the rest is up to the company's descrection. I'm out on my "paternity" leave now and it is the best 90 days in my life. Ya it's unpaid, but every time I think or hear about all the company crap that is going on it makes it worth it. Personally, I'm going to come back just shy (like one day) of 90 days (we get approved for more--which I have been) so as not to lose currency and have to hop back in the sim right off. My advise? Get approved for ALL OF THE LEAVE YOU CAN, then decide when you want to come back and contact your chief. Believe me they'll want you back. The first year of the child's life you can take bonding time leave, and that will be up to the company.

flightplans69

Contact our 3rd party Company that manages FMLA. I received erroneous information from various persons in our Company. The 3rd party Company has no interest in how much time you take off and they were the best resource and the most helpful. Many people in our company (even those that should know) don't really know!

merlin

I took a few days last August when my son was born. My intention was to take all of it from November to January. Denied. The standard policy appears to be that no FMLA is approved during those months (unless it is the first occurrence).

I had forgotten about it until May when I decided to take June off to be home with the little boy over the summer. The third party was MORE than happy to approve it. They would NOT, however, approve June OFF, July ON and then the first half of August OFF.

However, I did get the feeling that had I applied for the August part after I was back in July, I would have gotten it.

Jeremy

Brian Ratcliff

Well, I'm on FMLA leave now and it has been a royal pain in the a$$. I was told that now that we are with a new leave administrator that it is not possible to take intermittent leave once you return to work. Once you come back, you are back for good. For those of you on leave now, I suggest you join the group grievance regarding our loss of intermittent leave. Also, if you are thinking of taking leave, once the company knows about it, follow up religiously. I went on leave July 1st. My leave wasn't coded into the computer until July 18th. Then, someone else coded it wrong and had me down as a normal unpaid leave of absence, not a FMLA Paternity leave. Needless to say, last Sat, I received notice that my insurance was terminating Sunday night (the next day) with no way to contact anyone who could stop it until Monday morning. After a full work day and stressing (because I originally was told we don't have benefits on paternity leave which is illegal), I should have my insurance back tomorrow. I know accidents happen but due to one person taking forever to enter it, left no time to correct the error of a second employee until it was too late. Suffice it to say, FMLA leave is a royal pain in the a$$, compared to the Reed Group we had before. Good luck.

balsone

Hmm mine was super easy. Filled out the online paperwork. Doctor faxed in the medical forms. CP called and told me trips were dropped. Done deal. I basically did nothing but fill out the 2 minute online form.

Nova

Well, I'm on FMLA leave now and it has been a royal pain in the a$$. I was told that now that we are with a new leave administrator that it is not possible to take intermittent leave once you return to work. Once you come back, you are back for good. For those of you on leave now, I suggest you join the group grievance regarding our loss of intermittent leave.
As mentioned a few times here already, FMLA for the birth MUST be taken in 1 block and not broken up. Luckily you can apply for another round of FMLA to care for your wife which once set up CAN be taken intermittently. The wife had a c-section and I wasn't about to bail back to a full schedule of flying. The woman at the company who handles our FMLA wasn't clear on the options when I first contacted them regarding intermittent leave prior to the birth but eventually I was able to drag it out of her about the option of applying for a second round to care for the wife.

Now I haven't heard of this grievance regarding the loss of intermittent leave but what grounds is it filed under? Reading the Federal Law it says that Intermittent leave is at the discretion of the company for the husband. As far as I can tell it isn't in our contract either. I'd love to see it but is it worth the effort if the Law doesn't guarantee it nor does our contract?

Also, if you are thinking of taking leave, once the company knows about it, follow up religiously. I went on leave July 1st. My leave wasn't coded into the computer until July 18th. Then, someone else coded it wrong and had me down as a normal unpaid leave of absence, not a FMLA Paternity leave.
I can't recommend this enough. Follow up constantly. Mine wasn't sorted out until after the kid was born despite numerous emails and phone calls over the previous weeks. They had all the information and forms they needed but couldn't connect the dots until I sent an impatient email explaining to them once again to drop a month of trips. The last thing I wanted to deal with at the hospital.

FogDogger

Do we have to pay for our benefits on paternity leave? I've been getting billed each month for benefits..

Brian Ratcliff

Nova, I learned of the grievence from the XJT ALPA Aeromedical committee. I guess the reason for it, from what I understand, is that we had it under the older leave administrator and people made plans for their leave this year, myself included. Then when we switched to the new provider, it was taken away, without notifying the pilot group or even the union commitee. No one knew until it was gone. Status Quo I guess. I joined in the hopes that it will be settled for something more than I have now which is no leave, but I do know they don't HAVE to grant by law.

Fog, If you aren't having bills sent to you and you are still in your first calendar month of your leave, I would call HR. I didn't receive a bill in the first month either and that should have been my clue as I found out with one day left in the month, the hard way.

fazole

Well, I'm on FMLA leave now and it has been a royal pain in the a$$. I was told that now that we are with a new leave administrator that it is not possible to take intermittent leave once you return to work. Once you come back, you are back for good. For those of you on leave now, I suggest you join the group grievance regarding our loss of intermittent leave. Also, if you are thinking of taking leave, once the company knows about it, follow up religiously. I went on leave July 1st. My leave wasn't coded into the computer until July 18th. Then, someone else coded it wrong and had me down as a normal unpaid leave of absence, not a FMLA Paternity leave. Needless to say, last Sat, I received notice that my insurance was terminating Sunday night (the next day) with no way to contact anyone who could stop it until Monday morning. After a full work day and stressing (because I originally was told we don't have benefits on paternity leave which is illegal), I should have my insurance back tomorrow. I know accidents happen but due to one person taking forever to enter it, left no time to correct the error of a second employee until it was too late. Suffice it to say, FMLA leave is a royal pain in the a$$, compared to the Reed Group we had before. Good luck.
I second the problems with insurance coverage being dropped, and hard to reinstate. Thengetting billed for insurance during the time I didn't have it..and unless I paid, it would not be reinstated. Company blamed it on the billing system with BC/BS.

hjnu7

For most companies, this will only work for the initial time off. Every company is different with the amount of time they allow you to be off. Hopefully, you will have some vacation time left that you can use to enjoy some time with the little one later one. HR departments have to consider their time and attendance policies and the impact on business results. For example, Nashville time and attendance policies could be different from other places in the country. Many companies are headquartered at different spots which could allow for the difference.

Last edited:

antbar

THREAD REVIVAL

I am out on FMLA as we speak for baby bonding and I have a few comments and some questions for the experienced guys.

I, like others, had my medical benefits cancelled without notification. Reinstatement was no problem, supposedly. Haven't had to use them yet, but BCBS says everything's ok. Haven't received a bill yet, but waiting. I just got a notice today that my company-provided life insurance and my personal accident coverage was dropped. I also had all of my ability to access the travel system pulled, even for dependents, which is clearly not as it should be per 12.F.3, but I am not an LOA or MOU ace.

Separately, I also need to make the call to coordinate going back to work next month. Has anyone worked recently with Crew Utilization to get a line built after the secondary closes? What kinds of rules do they follow with respect to line build--can you expect to get the shaft, or do they work with your needs? I would have had no trouble getting commutability if I had participated in the line award; will I have to pi$s and moan to make that happen?

Any advice appreciated. Union hasn't replied to emails.

fazole

I would make phone calls to the union reps, they will get back to you.

FSUpilot

Supposedly I have a child being born in mid Feb 2012.. Starting to think about the whole FMLA thing. Can we use vacation and all our sick time first before going out on FMLA? I'm just trying to calculate how much money we need to save and how long I can be off work.

Bob

Staff member
Global Mod
  • If you're female... then you can use your sick-time. Males are out of luck.
  • You can use your "Emergency Leave" to get out of your last pairing (paid) before the baby comes.
  • Vacations can be used... but must be scheduled strategically around your FMLA, not during.
  • If you are in EWR, then you can get paid @ 55% of your pay for 6 weeks of your FMLA leave.

Hope that helps.

PS: I got a kick out of this statement:

Supposedly I have a child being born in mid Feb 2012...

Davetastic

• If you're female... then you can use your sick-time. Males are out of luck.
  • You can use your "Emergency Leave" to get out of your last pairing (paid) before the baby comes.
  • Vacations can be used... but must be scheduled strategically around your FMLA, not during.
  • If you are in EWR, then you can get paid @ 55% of your pay for 6 weeks of your FMLA leave.

Hope that helps.

PS: I got a kick out of this statement:
Just to add to this, if you are EWR based you must apply to the state of NJ to get the NJ fmla benefit. A lot of red tape and hoops but the benefit will arrive. Also, you may get intermittent leave but it is usually something health related, i.e., high risk pregnancy or otherwise it may be denied for fathers seeking to split up the fmla time. It may be denied during holidays too. Work with the health care providers to fill out the paperwork to your advantage. They are usually very helpful.

Last edited:

FSUpilot

Supposedly I have a child being born in mid Feb 2012.. Starting to think about the whole FMLA thing. Can we use vacation and all our sick time first before going out on FMLA? I'm just trying to calculate how much money we need to save and how long I can be off work.
Just an update. I DO have a child on the way in Feb. He's still kickin everyday. Anyway, I filled out the FMLA paperwork. Had the doc fax it in. Got approved for the full 90 days soon after. I haven't heard or seen anything from the company though and nothing is on my schedule yet. Seems to be you need take the whole 90 day block at once. You cant split it up. Give them 5 days notice if you want to come back early. Thats my plan. Im taking two weeks vacation in Feb and then FMLA starts on March 4 and goes thru May 26.

Oh and more thing. Im due for recurrent in April. I think that makes my grace month May. Any idea how they'll schedule training/ATP ride when youre on FMLA?? Who would I call to make sure this gets taken care of properly? I'm hopeful ALPA Aeromedical would have some info on this as well.

Latest posts