ERJ Flight Attendant Furlough

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by ExBizJet, Aug 28, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Aug 28, 2018 #1

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

Can anyone shed any light on the Flight Attendant Furlough? Was it legitimate or a retaliation for them not voting on their TA? Even with the numbers of pilots bailing. Could this be pulled on us if we don't play ball on the contract negotiations?

2. Aug 28, 2018 #2

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

f/o shizzle

It sucks, but there’s not a shortage of f/a’s. If a pilot gets furloughed they can start class and make more money in 2 weeks

3. Aug 28, 2018 #3

kailuaboy

kailuaboy

kailuaboy

I

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  4. Aug 28, 2018 #4

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Deleted.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Aug 28, 2018 #5

optimus_prime

optimus_prime

optimus_prime

I believe the FA furlough happened before the TA was shot down. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Like others have said; as much as it would suck to get furloughed as a pilot, we wouldn’t stay unemployed long.

6. Aug 28, 2018 #6

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Flight attendant furlough = contract negotiation hostages. SOP airline contract negotiation strategy, right after “announce potential for new equipment.” There’s quite a squeeze on the FAs right now, so it’s no surprise what’s going on with their contract negotiations.

7. Aug 28, 2018 #7

queso

queso

queso

the notifications were sent yesterday...

ExBizJet likes this.
  8. Aug 29, 2018 #8

suitcase

suitcase

suitcase

So right now there are 25 fa’s on colas for sept. They just furloughed 20 yesterday, plus they just released new colas for the next 6 months which 24 took, so basically 70 fa’s gone. I ‘m sure there is a few overlaps. But good news is the training center is hiring ? Not to mention not one word from the Union nor management. Cannot remember the last time I saw a supervisor in the office in Houston. People who are going on reserve have not been on reserve in Houston going on 17 years. If they normally fly say 95-100 hours, now all of a sudden your on reserve. That’s close to a 1,000 per month lost in pay, or 12,000 a year. You would think that someone would be letting people know that your family is getting ready to take a huge hit in pay and you might want to start planning accordingly. Not to mention you will probably ever hold a line again and they will never let you fly more than the min guarantee of 80 hrs, you’ll never be home again and no holidays off. Just saying, your not talking newbies, these are long time employees who deserve at the very least some forward going information.

9. Aug 29, 2018 #9

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

Can’t provide something that isn’t there. This company is clearly at a massive turning point. I’m not conceited enough to think that pilots are the most important group, but the staffing level of pilots will determine everything else. Until they can project the way that’s going, any information they gave to FAs regarding the future would be shaky, at best. I’m not naive enough to think that the pilot contract being passed will save us all, but I’m fairly certain that if it doesn’t pass.....the trend will continue until we sink.

10. Aug 29, 2018 #10

pscraig

pscraig

pscraig

Agreed. This is SKW and UAL giving this airline and pilot group one big, and probably last chance. And it will determine the course of the company. I'm hoping the chest thumping and "industry leading" phrases go away, because we need these aircraft to survive.

Odd they would furlough FAs...if we get the 175s, we will need quite a few FAs to staff them.

11. Aug 29, 2018 #11

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

FAs are much easier to spool up than pilots.

12. Aug 29, 2018 #12

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

They probably want to get rid of the senior fa’s in much the same way as they did senior pilots. Problem is, there’s no career progression to an FA by “moving on” to a legacy, just loss of seniority and pay. It’s the entire seniority list that pays for the company to go after the top of the list. Cant’t say that it still doesn’t smell like some kinda backdoor move to make room for whatever ATL/DFW FAs are left come December and February, and no integrated list still.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  13. Aug 29, 2018 #13

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

SWA FAs make much more and are far happier.....but you need to be halfway normal.

Zero-G likes this.
  14. Aug 29, 2018 #14

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

At least half way.... (rotflmao). For an industry where we live out of a roll-aboard, they like folks w/o baggage.

15. Aug 29, 2018 #15

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

This is definitely a pilot supply issue. No need to have all these FAs without pilots.

So far 72 pilots off the list from the beginning of this month.

Total Pilot Count
    6/1 1865
    7/1 1824
    8/1 1769
    Today - 1697

16. Aug 30, 2018 #16

qotsaautopilot

qotsaautopilot

qotsaautopilot

My furlough at xjt was terrible and it was terrible time to be looking for work doing anything. I would never want to repeat it but it was valuable. I learned to never give any weight to what any person in any corporate management has to say regarding the future of the company or how they feel about the employees. I learned this again at a several non-flying jobs as well.

If you’re not in a union look out for you and you only. If you’re a part of a union, stand together because unity in a work group is more powerful than anything.

I guess my point is nobody knows the future of xjt and ratifying or not ratifying a contract (pilot or FA) isn’t going to change the course of action by united or Skywest. Air Wisconsin voted down a contract and got aircraft anyway, and they were really in a bad spot flying wise.

If the FAs want to save jobs they have to stand together and not pick up open time like a west coast whore. We know that won’t happen. Frankly theses days this furlough will probably be the best thing that ever happened to some of them. It’s not exactly a skilled position. Most will find jobs making more money for less time investment and wonder why they stayed a FA so long. A furlough in 2018 could be a good thing.

17. Aug 30, 2018 #17

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Picking up extra time is how FAs make their money. When you get paid what they do, it’s what you do. It just doesn’t have the same teeth when you tell an FA to stick it to management and not pick up open time during a furlough. You’d do better (and do us all a favor) by asking them to not fly sick.

18. Aug 30, 2018 #18

qotsaautopilot

qotsaautopilot

qotsaautopilot

That too. I had a run in with a FA at xjt about flying sick that I escalated to pro stands. Not sure where it went from there. She had used all her sick time when she wasn’t sick. I was pretty peevd.

Either way getting furloughed isn’t going to be a big deal for most of them. Replacing that income isn’t difficult in today’s economy.

And you guys do what you think is best but the fate of those E175s has already been decided imo. They just want to squeeze you a little. Think of any decision the pilot group has made other than not giving up scope on 08 and how any of those decisions had an affect on the future of the company. None did. And ultimately Skywest got what they wanted in 08 just a few years later. Anything you guys do has zero affect on what happens. It only changes your own compensation.

19. Aug 30, 2018 #19

badog

badog

badog

^^this^^

ucal saw the approaching mass exodus and tossed 170s’ out there in an attempt to stop loss.
    How it plays out no one can tell.
    The a/c will come regardless, will they stay?
    Who cares.
    Gtfo ASAP!

Tfayd

20. Sep 1, 2018 #20

Turtlesfly

Turtlesfly

Turtlesfly

Well if this TA passes and the “guaranteed” 175’s don’t actually come .... you think morale is bad now, just wait for what that will probably do.