End Of American Flying

Discussion in 'The Pipe' started by wing-zero, Nov 24, 2018.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Nov 24, 2018 #1

wing-zero

wing-zero

wing-zero

So while I was flying yesterday, a flight attendant told me she received an email from their union saying that American flying ends January 6. This email was received on Thanksgiving day. Anyone else hear about this?

2. Nov 24, 2018 #2

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Yes. It’s true.

3. Nov 24, 2018 #3

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

So much for those hoping to delay a move till the end of the 18-10 window (April). Condolences Dallas guys. Maybe the ORD 200s will magically transform into 175s.

4. Nov 25, 2018 #4

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

I spoke to a CRJ friend of mine. He confirmed Jan 6 is the last day of operations in DFW. Half of the pilot list will be starting their January flying in ORD. The batch that is left will be spending the month of January ferrying jets to storage. In typical INC fashion as much as they want their natural child SKW to move in and take over. They too have a staffing problem to cover the DFW flying. Plus, several CRJ people are still dropping resignations as fast as K6 and other places give them offers. Hope the January announcement comes soon.

5. Nov 25, 2018 #5

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

K6 is Cambodia Angkor Air.

ExBizJet and Bob like this.
  6. Nov 25, 2018 #6

Bob

Bob

Bob

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Mod Moderator

Yeah... probably meant K4. But... hey... you know... ;)

7. Nov 25, 2018 #7

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

DOH. A little bit of keyboard confusion there. I bet even at K6 they don't worry about INC either. Lol

8. Nov 25, 2018 #8

RoyerYetlink

RoyerYetlink

RoyerYetlink

Crickets from management.
    Did ALPA say anything? Maybe just to the DFW group?

[​IMG]

9. Nov 25, 2018 #9

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

I was bored, and it gave me a chance to be a condescending a-hole.....so, ya know, I’m kinda obligated at that point.

dojetdriver likes this.
  10. Nov 25, 2018 #10

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

ExBizJet

From what my CRJ Bud told me all they got was a My Message that the base was closing. As far as ALPA National was concerned they got a Thanks For Playing article in one of the editions of Airline Pilot. Most of their MEC defected for Kallita. For the most part they are men without a country.

11. Nov 25, 2018 #11

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Yes, closing early. Some stuff from ALPA, but as pointed out most of the leadership has bolted for K4. As a matter of fact, bleeding has gotten so bad that management has been spreading false rumors that most of us who have left are unhappy and are returning. Apparently, a CP was even heard telling a room full of FA's and pilots this "news". So far, 3 out of over 100 have returned from the employment LOA.:rolleyes: Hardly a mass return. But hey, wishful thinking on their part. Nothing like lying to your employees.
    Having said that, the AAL contract winding down early MAY be a good thing. Maybe. Or maybe it is just due to staffing issues. Performance numbers are... "poor". The CRJ lines out of ORD are a joke. Commuting to 12 days off for guarantee. Four-day trips worth 12 hours. For senior pilots. Many of us who were on the fence with K4 took one look at that and bolted.
    Good luck to ya'll.

12. Nov 25, 2018 #12

Zero-G

Zero-G

Zero-G

Just a thought: shore up the crappy, low density lines and give everyone 16 days off. Make it easier for the commuters and keep everyone happy. Come in, fly like hell, go home and enjoy your family, toss off, or whatever you do on your own time. Without a flow through and a huge ret bonus, nobody is sticking around for min days off, 18yr upgrade, and a commute while wasting our time for 11hr 4-days.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Fozzie Bear and blackhawk like this.
  13. Nov 25, 2018 #13

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

They don’t want people to stick around. This is the ole Envoy longevity flush strategy. Close bases, make QOL terrible and drive people to quit. The only people left generally speaking have very high longevity.

14. Nov 25, 2018 #14

Read-Only

Read-Only

Read-Only

It’s not working. The wrong people are quitting. It’s gonna be 30-year CAs flying with 15-year FOs soon.

15. Nov 25, 2018 #15

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

Then they’ll increase the pain intensity. Management always wins.

16. Nov 25, 2018 #16

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

That’s based on the assumption that the pilots leaving will be easy to replace. I think that phase of the hiring market is over. Sure, some will come over from whatever airline loses UAL flying, but not enough. I think that’s why management is upset and spreading false rumors. It’s an attempt to stop the attrition.

17. Nov 25, 2018 #17

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

For every 1 topped out Captain they can pay for roughly 3 new FOs. Doing quick math assigning values to 4 weeks of vaca and high 401k match. They want the senior people gone at all costs. They’ve been after senior FAs for some time now.

If an announcement comes tomorrow with 175s and god forbid a flow, the flood gates will open. They appear to be doing exactly what Envoy did.

18. Nov 25, 2018 #18

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

Rumor is endeavor is so over staffed with pilots they are offering unpaid leave. People will come if there’s a reason to.

19. Nov 25, 2018 #19

blackhawk

blackhawk

blackhawk

Yeah. Because like no one else has -175’s.:rolleyes:
    Flow isn’t happening. Wake up.
    There aren't "floodgates" of pilots anymore. Yes, some might make lateral moves. But not enough to make up for losses.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  20. Nov 26, 2018 #20

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler

I agree, I think the master plan is to close this place. Money talks, if they doubled our pay you bet there would be a flood of applicants. It’s just free market economics. They have the ability to offer $40k new hire bonuses with the new contract but are not. Guess they aren’t that desperate.