Eating healthier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alf, Mar 14, 2016.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Mar 17, 2016 #41

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Shack on what adrak said. There are dozens of ways to eat better.

I do this a few times a month too. https://www.blueapron.com

I'll usually add more protein but it is a very simple way to cook. They deliver everything in exact portions, spices and all, and it has really opened up some new recipes and flavors for me. This is about the easiest way to cook healthy on the planet.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Mar 17, 2016 #42

adrak

adrak

adrak

Greasysideup, I agree there are many different opinions as to better ways to eat. I was simply giving some input and resources for those that are being motivated to improve health due to medical reasons. After all our profession relies on our health. If our health has gotten out of hand, there are ways to reverse it nutritionally and not pharmaceutically for example. Thug kitchen is an awesome and easy cookbook for those who need guidance. Like I said, throw 2 pounds of chicken or salmon on it if you want.

3. Mar 17, 2016 #43

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

I completely agree with you! Every post in this thread is valid for the end goal. Except maybe baby food. There are just tastier ways to achieve what baby food will give you....

I'll check out thug kitchen.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. Mar 17, 2016 #44

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Shack is slang for spot on in the center of the target. Not a hit on your post by any means!

Cheers.

5. Mar 18, 2016 #45

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

View attachment 4348 View attachment 4349

Last photo to wrap up the day. Dinner was about a half rotisserie chicken and olive oil sautéed snow peas with teriyaki. This takes less than 5 minutes to make. What was missed was my snacks - an avocado, almonds and a few pieces of chicken throughout the day.

I also did crossfit for an hour. This is by all accounts a lot of food for the day. The reason I posted all this is because it is not about starving yourself. If you exercise and eat healthy, you can also eat a lot. I eat pretty much non stop during the day. I'm a thin 6'4 196# without much fat on my body. Blood pressure is 117/76 with a resting pulse in the low 60's.

This type of eating turns the food into muscle, not fat. There is a gym in every hotel. Go there on the road and do something. Anything. Here are 100 different hotel workouts if you get bored. http://www.crossfitconnex.com/hotel-wods/

Good luck!

6. Mar 18, 2016 #46

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

You missed the sarcasm on that one I see...

7. Mar 18, 2016 #47

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

You missed mine too! You'd be surprised though how many have tried baby food as a technique. There are diets out there that use it.

It really just isn't extremely complicated. Eat natural, unprocessed foods that have an expiration date of weeks and not years.

8. Mar 18, 2016 #48

Pellegrino

Pellegrino

Pellegrino

I have been following Dr. John McDougall's Starch Solution for a while. Down about 15 pounds in 4 months. So it's a bit slow, but it works. And your're never hungry.

Starch Solution is plant based, essentially a vegan diet, but McDougall says he eats turkey every other Thanksgiving just to avoid being called a "vegan."

His main education is that starch (yes carbs) should be the caloric center of the diet. Limit fats/oils to almost zero. Fat intake causes diabetes, not carbs. Type 2 diabetes can be cured eating white rice and sugar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQb5Fe6hZXw

Excess protein is not a health food. It is highly insulinogenic and is ultimately hard on your kidneys. The problem with protein is that it has a nitrogen molecule that fat and carbs don't have. Our kidneys have to clear it out of our system and when they are maxed out, it gets sent to the liver for detoxification. Ends up overworking your liver which is really bad news because that is where body fat is turned into energy. All protein comes from plants. It ends up in animals because they eat plants or other animals that ate plants. If you do a little learning and look at data it will make sense. We are really brainwashed thinking we need so much protein, when it is not good for us. When we eat a more natural plant-based level of protein (in the basic form of amino acids), our body doesn't excrete it, it starts recycling it.

I never thought I would be meat-free, but after about 2-3 weeks it was totally easy. It's cheap and packable (things like rice, canned beans, corn tortillas, oatmeal pack easily). B12 is the only supplement you should take if you switch to this kind of diet, because B12 comes from bacteria in dirt, and we don't really eat stuff off the ground much anymore.

YouTube has a ton of plant based videos. I would look at:

John McDougall (starch solution)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XVf36nwraw

Dr. Michael Greger videos and his website NutritionFacts.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNY7xKyGCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es4PFR5GZTY

Dr. Tel Oren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9iz8d_Dj4

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  9. Mar 19, 2016 #49

kingzing

kingzing

kingzing

I'd start by heading over to marksdailyapple.com

10. Mar 19, 2016 #50

ExecNav

ExecNav

ExecNav

Edit: ****ing really? 67890

11. Mar 20, 2016 #51

kingzing

kingzing

kingzing

you don't like Mark Sisson or did someone already post it?

12. Mar 20, 2016 #52

ExecNav

ExecNav

ExecNav

My apologies. Can't quote or "ditto" without also complying with minimum character limit to post. I thought a 5 count would be sufficient, it was not.

Mark is good. I've read his book (TPB) and follow MDA. Fixed a lot of issues with work and training (bike) applying some of his ideas along with Bob Seebohar's Metabolic Efficiency Training and Nutrition Periodization. Everyone should do their homework before making big changes to food and exercise. I found high fat, low carb (unless training) works for me and was able to substantiate that with before and after NMR Lipoprofile, C reactive protein, A1C, and Omega-3 Index numbers. Also become faster and less tired all the time. Results may vary.

13. Mar 20, 2016 #53

kingzing

kingzing

kingzing

I have looked at his site for years...but also just listening to him with Joe Rogan recently made me think he was awesome again. I have also been listening to a lot of stuff with Dr. Peter Attia as well. Check him out.

And I will respectfully disagree with Pellegrino. I'd be willing to bet that the weight loss was just a reduction in calories. Most eat WAY more then they think. If you weigh, measure, and log everything that goes into your mouth you will be surprised at how much easier it is to lose what you want.

14. Mar 31, 2016 #54

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

How's the new lunch bag diet going?

15. Sep 8, 2016 #55

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

I'm looking for any updates on this thread? Any luck with a lifestyle change?

16. Sep 8, 2016 #56

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

Still fat...