Eating healthier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alf, Mar 14, 2016.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2016 #21

jujk

jujk

jujk

I lost 40 lbs in 3 months. I did 1 hard hour of cardiovascular day unless I had an overnight less than 10 or 11 hours, depending on the show time. I would run until I couldn't do it anymore. First time was 1/3 of a mile and I threw up, and then I did bike or the elliptical for the remaining time. After a few weeks I was up to 3 miles. Running will burn more calories than about any other pure cardio because you can't slack off like the elliptical and bike. After I lost my weight I did Insanity for 2 months until I hurt my back and had to stop.

To drop my wrought I cut my calories to about 1500 a day. That's not as much as it seems but it's better than starving yourself and it's healthier. After my work out I was minus 1,400 calories a day. 1 lb of fat is 3,500 calories. It'll come off. I still splurged about once a week on a meal as long as it wasn't crazy like a bitter Buffett. I still splurge but now I run a lot because I actually enjoy it. I enjoy my overnights so much more.

A lot of great suggestions. I have the above mentioned bag and I love the thing. I am always taking fresh fruit and food from home.

2. Mar 15, 2016 #22

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Same recipie above with salmon works great too. Pick up 1.5 lbs of deveined shrimp and tell them to steam it with old bay. Add to soups, or make a salad with them. The key to good salads at home is lots of ingredients. Get good olives, sliced carrots, good and varied lettuce and spinach (ditch the iceburgh) sliced almonds, peppers, wickles, etc.

Whenever you cook, make huge quantities for leftovers for lunch.

If you don't cook, start. Pause the tv and catch up later with no ads, get the wife and kids involved and hang out in the kitchen some.

3. Mar 15, 2016 #23

Tatar Salad

Tatar Salad

Tatar Salad

^^^ you can't beat a good homemade meal with your spouse ^^^

4. Mar 15, 2016 #24

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Here's my shopping today. Realize $18 was olive oil, $9 in tea and some good steaks make up a good portion. I'd add Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce to sauté with the Bok choi. Cook initially with olive oil and a lid.

Snack on the hummus with the carrots.

Cook the acorn squash the same as above but finish in the oven with a pat of butter and small teaspoon of brown sugar.

This may seem expensive, and you can certainly go cheaper but it is way less than eating out and will save huge in the long run on medical costs. I'm about 15% body fat, and feel as good at 40 as I did at 20.

5. Mar 15, 2016 #25

Washout

Washout

Washout

This guy gets it! I do basically the same thing. I never have to worry when I splurge on rich foods because the rest of the time you're fueling your body with nutritious food and you're moving a lot.

6. Mar 16, 2016 #26

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Get a lodge skillet. You probably have one in the cabinets. I cook almost exclusively with it. Eggs over medium to steaks. It acts as a non stick when cleaned properly.

To clean with crusty burned on stuff, fill half way with water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes or so. Scrape intermittently when boiling. Rinse out with water only and a sponge then return to the burner until absolutely dry. Then add a quick pour of olive oil and spread evenly with a paper towel to coat the inside. Leave it on the stove for the next time.

This was dinner tonight. I eat steak about once a week, the rest chicken shellfish and fish. Total time from lighting the burner to having three people fed and cleaned up was under an hour.

A simple steak marinade is balsamic, worstichire, tarragon, rosemary and pepper. Top with blue cheese crumbles the last two minutes. Start with the onion, mushrooms and jalapeño, olive oil, a little butter and garlic salt. Add the steaks after 2-3 minutes depending on how thick they are or throw them on the grill. 3-5 minutes per side on medium heat depending on the size.

Cook the acorn squash as above.

These two steaks were 2.3 lbs total, fed two adults and a five year old and I've got leftovers for breakfast with a few eggs over medium. The best steak and eggs you've had.

This is easily a $100 meal eating out for smaller steaks. This was a little over 30 at home and tastes better than any I've ever had eating out. I've got leftover peppers, onions and shrooms for something later in the week. Always add jalapeños to the grill/pan if you haven't tried them before. If I was working tomorrow, the leftovers would go in a ziplock and added to a salad on my trip.

I hope this stuff helps.

7. Mar 16, 2016 #27

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Mmmmm. Steak. No carbs. Enjoy. Ditch the potatoe, eat more protein and vegetables. You will be full.

8. Mar 16, 2016 #28

Paul Rosenberg

Paul Rosenberg

Paul Rosenberg

For all you cross-fitting and home cooking thread drifters ... The original post was concerned with what's the "healthiest food" to pack in your travel cooler. Gotta love the spectrum of opinions folks have on this topic.

Props though to GreasySideUp. That looks like some good looking grub!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. Mar 16, 2016 #29

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

I'm dominating this thread now, no apologies I love to cook. I think that is it though, there is very little that you need to eat differently on the road. Acorn squash is a stretch but I easily cut up that ribeye, put it in a ziplock and throw it in my cooler bag. Easy to do after cooking that steak while everything is dirty is to fill that pan with 3lb of chicken with a little steak juice already in it, cover and cook for 30mins on med low flipping occasionally, cut it up in thin slices, and you have cooler bag protein for the week. Do that while you are eating the steak and you haven't wasted any extra time cooking. Add some pre made salads or vegetables to the cooler and you will eat better than you can find in the airport.

Leftover steak and eggs in about 15 minutes. Got to run.

10. Mar 16, 2016 #30

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

All you have to do to go on the baby food diet for adults is replace two of your daily meals with baby food abiding by the following rules.

• Replace your morning and afternoon meal eating baby food for breakfast and lunch. Limit yourself to 14 serving of baby food (1000Cal) during these meals.
    • Eat a small evening meal with balanced nutrition for dinner. Center your meal around eating vegetables holding back on fatty meats.

11. Mar 16, 2016 #31

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

Eat LESS move MORE, it's that friggin simple.

A fancy ass food trough that's gonna clog up the cockpit entry and make it a pain in the **** for your coworkers isn't going to change that basic principle.

12. Mar 16, 2016 #32

TheBills

TheBills

TheBills

Stay away from the diet coke, fat free, sugar free crap foods and drinks too. It will do nothing for you.

13. Mar 16, 2016 #33

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

14. Mar 16, 2016 #34

SimonSays

SimonSays

SimonSays

To the OP, I have some advice. Being healthy is a mindset, which is a culmination of good habits. For most this is a complete life style change. Everyone is different in their approach to being healthy. But what they all have in common is they have a routine. Setting a goal is imperative. Reaching that goal can be fun, but it will (and should) be challenging. Everyone on this thread has good advice. Three things will help tremendously: 1. Drink water 2. Your diet is more important than exercise 3. Understand what it is you are putting in your body (Nutrition).

Know going into this that there will be setbacks, when there is, get back on track (don't give up)!

15. Mar 16, 2016 #35

Dyin Hawaiin

Dyin Hawaiin

Dyin Hawaiin

My fitness pal is a great app. The bar code scanner feature really helps and it has a lot of obscure foods in the data base. My goal is an intake of 1500 calories a day. The results have been great, however I also gave up drinking on most overnights. If you cut out alcohol and a majority of your carbs, it will fall off, at least it has for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

16. Mar 17, 2016 #36

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

Of the documentaries above, watch Fed Up on Netflix to understand sugar.

A few more thoughts. Calorie counting works but there is more to it than that to get healthy. If you only eat 1500 calories a day you will eventually weigh 150# but you may still be incredibly unhealthy. 1500 calories of twinkies is vastly different than 1500 calories of food you can kill or grow. The way your body processes and stores the calories of a cupcake is different than 1500 calories of chicken/protein. At the end of the day, you want your body to eat fat, not store it and that is predominantly the amount of sugar you eat. Sugar is included in bread and pasta in the way your body converts carbs.

Fat is not unhealthy. Avocado, fish, red meat, natural butter, olive oil, all have fat. This is ok and there is a lot of research on "healthy fats" now. In the past, fat was thought to cause weight gain so they took it out of all the boxed processed foods, called it "reduced fat" called it healthy and sold it to help you lose weight. The problem is that food without fat tastes terrible, so they loaded it with sugar and this is the real killer. "Reduced fat" Oreos are not good for you at all. The mental aspect of the packaging mentally makes you believe otherwise. "50% less fat" still has 200% of the sugar you should eat in a day. It's a scam. Sugar substitutes, dextrose, corn syrup, high fructose.... All this stuff is terrible for you too. Look at the package and then imagine what that ingredient physically looks like. What is it even? The key is to ditch the stuff in cellophane or a box all together. None of it is healthy.

Look at the back of a coke at the percent daily values then look at the recommended amount of sugar. There is none. The sugar growers successfully lobbied to keep %daily values off of products because 1 can of coke is more than 100% of the recommended amount daily. That is a 12 oz coke. Now add the breakfast bar you had, the spaghetti sauce, the hamburger bun - you are easily at 500-1000% above the amount of sugar you should eat a day. No sugar is unreasonable, but anything you can cut back is huge. Sugar in fruit such as an apple is also much different than sugar in apple juice. Natural unprocessed sugars in fruit are ok within reason, a tablespoon of sugar dumped in a coffee will go straight to your stomach fat. The body sends that tablespoon straight to storage in the form of fat on your body, sugar in fruit is a much slower release since it is encased in fiber, the body can process it and take nutrition from it.

IMHO, start to notice your calories and read the boxes of stuff you are eating first. Look at how many ingredients you can't pronounce and start cutting that number first. Eat stuff you can kill or grow, cut ranch based dressings and eat vinegar based dressings, carbs one meal a day etc then start focusing on quantity once you eat healthy.

Next time you stay at the hotel behind Denny's fill your bag with 6 hard boiled eggs and eat those for a 3:00 snack a couple at a time. The ingredients in an egg are - egg. A low fat health bar ingredients....

Here's breakfast this morning. This can be eaten at many hotels on the road. Skip the bagel, waffle, toast, granola, etc and eat the natural stuff. 2-4 hard boiled eggs and a banana is a great breakfast, then plan a snack of almonds or a half trader joes salad with chicken between 9-10 and a salad for lunch, eggs for a snack at 2-3 and whatever you want for dinner, trying to go low carb and you are eating constantly, but healthy and be well on your way.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  17. Mar 17, 2016 #37

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

18. Mar 17, 2016 #38

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

The problem with the salads you buy at a restaurant is the limited amount of protein. You'll probably get less than 1/4lb of chicken in a purchased salad, the exception being a salad bar where you can load up with chicken.

This is my lunch, the same as I'd eat on the plane from my bag. About 3/4lb of cooked chicken. I'd eat a pound if I worked out this morning, the key is to load it up with stuff you like. It's easy to put all this in a ziplock and take it with you too. 4 a week while on the road is a good start, don't eat this everyday at home or you'll get tired of it.

I'll have an avocado and some almonds in about an hour for a snack. Both of which would be in my bag as well.

19. Mar 17, 2016 #39

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

20. Mar 17, 2016 #40

adrak

adrak

adrak

Although this thread has drifted I regards to what can be packed. I would like to add, simply food for thought. There is many great recommendations here, but protein is also found in non-meat sources such as beans, lentils, tofu, sprout bread (even sold at Marc's), quinoa etc. I'm no where near vegan so I'm not saying meat is unhealthy but it's something to consider under special circumstances. Assuming the OP is dealing with possible medical revocation, plant based (or mostly) diets help not only weight loss, but helps cure heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes etc. All of these (basically associated with one another) are threats toward keeping our medical. That's why I suggested the documentaries above, just to gain a better understanding of nutrition and health. Additionally, I would suggest Dr. Esselstyns book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" or Rip Esselstens "Engine 2 Diet." A great cookbook I have found to help me experiment with plant-based meals would be "Thug Kitchen." This cookbook puts some fun in the recipes, and really you can add meat to the meals if you want. Anyway, just wanted to mention the above documentaries or books for those not only struggling with weight, but the associated diseases like high chlorestoral, blood pressure or diabetes.