Eating healthier

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alf, Mar 14, 2016.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1

Alf

Alf

Alf

Long story short, I need to eat healthier on the road. What do you guys do on the road and what do you pack in your coolers? I need to lose 50 pounds like yesterday. :)

Thanks!

2. Mar 14, 2016 #2

Trey153

Trey153

Trey153

Check out this site-- www.whfoods.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mar 14, 2016 #3

Trey153

Trey153

Trey153

What's your fitness level like? You should give T25 or Insanity a shot -- insanity requires no equipment and you can do it in your hotel room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mar 14, 2016 #4

TheBills

TheBills

TheBills

Count your calories, order accordingly. It really is that simple. Surprisingly, there is plenty of healthy food at the airport if your willing to put in the effort. Excersize will be huge if you can get a regular schedule down. Shoot to lose 1.5-2lbs a week, or it might be rough. You really don't need insanity or anything. Id say find an exercise you actually enjoy. Make a plan, stick to it. I run 3-4 miles at least once every trip, but i enjoy running, some people do not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. Mar 15, 2016 #5

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

ShoreFly

6. Mar 15, 2016 #6

Alf

Alf

Alf

Thanks for the suggestions! I will get on it!

My normal workout routine WAS 1 sit up a day. When I woke up that was 1/2. When I went to bed, that was the other 1/2. That's going to change because its putting me on a path for serious health issues if I don't change that now.

Again, thanks for the help!

7. Mar 15, 2016 #7

CaliStu

CaliStu

CaliStu

I did insanity and switched the way I ate. Definitely more protein and as little sugar as possible. The downfall is paying for it. Carbs and crap food are cheap. Healthy(ier) is expensive. I too bring both tuna pouches and quest bars with me.

8. Mar 15, 2016 #8

Austin Milbarge

Austin Milbarge

Austin Milbarge

I lost 30 lbs. in 3 months by counting calories with the myfitnesspal app. I don't bring a cooler and never have. I just stuck to the calorie goal in my app for each day and it worked.

Also I had been working out 4 or 5 days a week for a few years and didn't lose weight because I was eating too much. But I lost weight quick once I started counting calories.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. Mar 15, 2016 #9

Randy Brodbeck

Randy Brodbeck

Randy Brodbeck

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I lost about 40 pounds in 8 months doing this alone. I also started walking everywhere I could on sits and overnights. Even if it was just laps around the concourse while bored at the airport.

10. Mar 15, 2016 #10

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

PhantomHawk

I lost 70 pounds and keep it off by running. Buy a pair of running shoes and run for an hour on at least two overnights each trip. It works.

11. Mar 15, 2016 #11

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

dojetdriver

300 burpees a week.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

12. Mar 15, 2016 #12

djvie

djvie

djvie

You can workout until you're blue in the face everyday and it won't change a thing. It's ALL about what you eat. If you don't consume less calories than you burn then it's a moot point.

Working out definitely helps the situation! But if you want to start with just one thing, it's your diet. Focus on vegetables and protein.

13. Mar 15, 2016 #13

indytrail06

indytrail06

indytrail06

Myfitnesspal app is a great tool to use. It makes you really realize how poor some eating decisions can be vs others. It's all about how many calories you consume vs burn. Also, there is a lot of food options out there that aren't that terrible, however what we consider a normal portion is out of hand.

14. Mar 15, 2016 #14

whitesox

whitesox

whitesox

All kinds of good advice on non-perishable healthy foods that can be brought on trips. Search past threads on this topic for all the info you need. But I'll contribute a saying that I repeat to myself from time to time:

"It's not too expensive to eat healthy, it's just really cheap to eat sh!tty."

Remind yourself of that from time to time, especially at the grocery store. And if you refuse to bring your own food, at least try to plan your meals around airports that you know have no good food options.

15. Mar 15, 2016 #15

fazole

fazole

fazole

Cut out the sodas and sugared coffees is a good start. Eat measured portions. Learn to accept being hungry for a while---drink a crap load of water. At least a liter an hr. Artificial flavors are engineered to make you hungrier.

Meet the scientists who create flavors that make foods and beverages so tasty that critics say they're addictive. Morley Safer reports.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Wh3uq1yTc

16. Mar 15, 2016 #16

ExecNav

ExecNav

ExecNav

Avoid everything with added sugar, vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, etc.), soy, and processed carbs.

Train your body to use fat for energy instead of carbohydrates by increasing your intake of healthy fats (olive oil, avacados, tree nuts, dark chocolate) and limiting your carb intake to only fresh vegetables and fruits. Don't eat power bars. Most are complete junk.

Don't run too much right now or at all. Just walk, a lot. Run a little bit later or buy a bike.

You don't need a cooler but you should make room in your bag for an "emergency" supply of food (tree nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, sardines, smash bars, and unsweetened dried cherries is what I currently carry).

Try to have fun. You'll fall off the train quick if you don't. Bid for overnights where bike rentals are nearby. Cycling is a great way to enjoy losing weight while not destroying your joints.

Forget weighing yourself or portion control. Eat when you're hungry, avoid sugars and carbs, and you won't be hungry every 10 minutes.

Get at least 8 hours of sleep and don't eat huge meals right before bed.

If you're craving a beer, do wine instead. Or don't drink at all.

17. Mar 15, 2016 #17

Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Mr Hat

I've been bringing my food for a long time now. The food in the airport and on the overnights is usually terrible for you and the portions are twice what they should be. Get a cooler bag, I have the strong bags one and it works great. I could do a 4 day with it if I supplemented my salads with side salads from any of the fast food places (Vinaigrette only, no crazy dressings). Get an ice bag from CVS, one of those things you'd use if you banged your knee. This way you can fill it with ice at each overnight and keep your bag cold. Get a foodsaver vacuum sealer from Target....get a mid level one, you don't need the expensive one and the cheap one is cheap. Now...what to eat. Real food only. For me I would take a food saver bag and put chicken and broccoli in it...thats my dinner, throw it right in the microwave and eat out of the bag. For lunch, get some steak, grill it up and cut it into strips...make a few small food saver bags of that....that is your lunch along with a salad that you can bring or buy at the airport. Throw some apples in the bag, thats a snack. Breakfast...I use whey protein and a banana, eggs if I can find them either at the hotel or hardboiled at the airport...not an egg sandwich, just eggs. No sausage, unless you buy it from a farmer it is not real food, its full of nitrates and ****. Coffee! Have coffee but black. If you don't drink it that way now, don't worry, it doesn't take long to get used to black coffee...maybe a month and you'll never put anything in it again. Get some nuts for snacks....NOT PEANUTS, they are not nuts they are actually beans. So what to avoid? Anything with too many ingredients....Anything that claims to be healthy but clearly isn't....I don't care how paleo a brownie is, it is still a brownie. Don't eat beans, don't eat grains, don't eat sugar. This will absolutely make you lose weight, it might happen quickly but it might not. Don't get discouraged. Drink a boatload of water.....and if you can, find a workout routine that you enjoy. I do crossfit, anyone can do crossfit but not everyone will enjoy it. But if you want to get into shape quickly, there is no faster route. There are no magic pills only hard work and dedication. I was a fat ass.....bad....In my 40's I am way healthier, leaner, stronger and muscular than I ever was in my 30's. I don't fear losing my medical over blood pressure anymore. There are 100 ideas out there on how to do this, some are valid, some aren't. Watch out for anything that sounds too easy. But one of the better ones up there was counting calories via myfitnesspal. That will work too. Your body is sh&t in, Sh&t out. If you decrease what you put in, you will drop weight. If you increase what you put out, you will drop weight. Best bet is to do both. Good luck!

18. Mar 15, 2016 #18

adrak

adrak

adrak

There are a few great responses above. I strongly agree with those that suggest limited your intake to the most natural food as possible, in its simple state. Fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes etc. Lean meat if you must. You would be shocked what simply cutting out sugar could do for you. When I say cutting sugar, I'm not just talking pop either. Sugar is in so much if you look, sauce, most commercial salad dressings, ketchup, the pretzel snacks we get on the plane, those "healthy" bars they sell in the health food isle, almost everything processed. Simply walking 15-30 minutes a a day and completely avoiding sugars in EVERYTHING for 30 days and you may be surprised how easy it could be. Coming off sugar takes 3-5 days, so I would start on your days off. Have Netflix? Take a look at the movies "Food Matters" "Forks Over Knives" "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and "Fed Up." Those are my top suggestions, kind of in that order. So step 1, cut out sugar in everything. Look at the ingredient list, and watch for hidden sugar, they use over 30 different ways to label it. Good luck!

19. Mar 15, 2016 #19

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

https://www.aerocoast.com/aerocoast-cooler-laptop-accessories-organizer-flight-attendant-bag.html

Buy this bag. An express jet pilot makes them. Get 2 ice bags from Walgreens as mentioned above so you have a spare when you lose the lid. Fill it with water at home and freeze it upside down. This will stay cool 2-3 days or the whole trip with fridges in the room.

Only eat stuff you could grow or kill. This is everything on the outside of the store. Learn to eat spaghetti squash with pesto or home made marinara instead of pasta.

For the road, trader joes is my staple. I get 3lbs of chicken pre cooked and 4 different salads. Nuts, one dark chocolate bar for the trip, and 1-2 other items in the salad section. Spring rolls, edemame salad, tomatoes etc.

You can make this stuff at home cheaper if you want. Get ziplock bags and divide the chicken. When you are hungry, eat a few pieces or have half the salad. Eat as much chicken and fish as you want.

Cut the soda and juice. Have a real orange instead of juice, the body digests it differently with fiber in the Orange. If cut it completely the weight will fly off. Get lemons for your water. Invest in 5 types of tea and throw those in your bag. Have them when you are craving a soda.

For breakfast, eggs and fruit. Hard boiled if they have them. 3-4 are fine for a 200# weight. Cut the toast and cereal.

Completely cutting carbs is unrealistic but try to cut them for 2 meals a day. If you go to an Italian restaurant get chicken Marsala but make the side a vegetable instead of pasta. Get a huge steak, but green beans and salad instead of potatoes. At home, substitute sweet potatoes for real potatoes. Dice them with cumin, paprika, pepper and cayenne for breakfast with organic bacon and eggs.

Cut fast food. All of it. No McDonalds, Wendies etc. make a huge burger at home with organic beef. Don't eat a bun with it and cut the catchup. Look at the sugar count on the bottle then throw it away. Slice sweet potatoes. Microwave for 7 minutes then broil with olive oil and pepper, better yet sauté fresh spinach or green beans with the burger.

Start exercising. Slow at first. Crossfit will change your life. But anything is good. Crossfit is really good because it is encouraging and you are told exactly what to do. You can modify the exercises for any hotel gym as well. Eating right is the majority of your weight. Exercise will get your heart healthy.

I'm 6'4 200# on the thin side, and eat pretty much non stop. Every 1.5 hours or so and guys I fly with don't get it until we compare meals every day. We both have steak or fish, but my sides are different. Don't eat anything from a box or a bag. Buy 10 lbs of chicken and always have some cooked at home and some in the freezer. Keep fresh fruits and vegetables on the counter. Eat as much of it as you want.

Good luck!

20. Mar 15, 2016 #20

greasysideup

greasysideup

greasysideup

For dinner tonight do this. 10 minutes. Get a pre made rotisserie chicken. Spaghetti squash. Pesto. Green beans.

Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and discard the seeds. Fill a dish with 1/4" water. Put squash in upside down and microwave 7-9 minutes. Scrape squash out with a fork and add pesto. Sauté the green beans in butter (real butter. Toss the margarinei) olive oil and garlic.

For breakfast 3-4 eggs however you like them with a side of blue berries or strawberries or a kiwi.

Easy. Leftovers too for lunch.

Save the carcass of the chicken. Add a half pot of water and boil for 30 minutes. Strain and you have chicken stok. Sauté garlic, jalapeños and an onion. Add a 32oz can of diced organic tomatoes and sauté. then add the stok, a can of 32oz crushed tomatoes and 3 lbs of chicken breast. Add a few tbsp of cumin, basil, oregano, and pepper. More cumin to taste after 15 minutes. If you like carrots, peppers, celery etc. add that too.

Cook for 30 minutes then pull the chicken and shred. Serve with fresh avocado, lime and fresh cilantro. Freeze half for later. Easy chicken tortilla soup. Take out the cumin , tomatoes and jalapeño for chicken soup without the noodles.