Burned by not having flight benefits?

Help Support The Pipe:

dojetdriver

People should have invested more in the CPP. It was writing on the wall for years.
The CPP, lolololololololollolololol

CPP was the last-best deal I think anyone has gotten at XJT since the end of flow-thru. But that is another thread entirely...
Kinda of depends on when one interviewed ENTIRELY.

But as mentioned, a different thread.

pudknocker

I've never done ZED. It's not a guaranteed seat, correct? You're just paying a percentage of the fare for a standby seat, correct?

TJV2015

The CPP and the Hogan test were probably the best thing for me. I “over researched” the hell out of the Hogan test, and ended up failing it. When I got the “thanks for trying” email from United, is said “F*** United” and applied to Spirit the next day. Was in FLL in less than a month for training. Been the only smart move I’ve made in my career. When things turn around, I’d recommend Spirit to anyone who can get in, the atmosphere is very similar to XJT from 10 years ago. Great crews...A LOT of whom are former XJT

suitcase

Can someone please tell me what the criteria is for lifetime flight benefits. Thank you

dojetdriver

But there is still a fee for ZED? Which usually costs less, ID or ZED?

Yes, there's a fee for ZED, and yes it's only space available. You'll go below regular passriders, passrider family/buddy, etc etc.

It's been a while since I've done either ZED or ID, but ZED was cheaper than an ID. We had ID90 when I used it last.

I was going from LAX-AKL, the ZED fair was like $250 RT, because that's what that mileage zone segment cost. Although depending on the ZED agreement and whether it's a "high" or "low" ZED, etc the price can vary.

The ID was about $700 RT, since it 90% off the highest published "Y" class fare and you're paying 10%.

Both were refundable, so it's a good idea go have both in your pocket. That's under the assumption that there's two carriers serving your dep/dest, and one is a ZED agreement carrier and the other an ID.

pudknocker

Outstanding, thanks for the info. Now if we can just answer suitcase's question about what the criteria is for lifetime flight benefits. I thought it was a formula but am not sure. Had something to do with you needed to have your time in (whatever that amounts to?) at the CAL/United merger. As for me I started in May/1997 and lasted through the shutdown at age 53, so I had my 20 years in and was over 50, but that was still not enough.

701EV

The CPP and the Hogan test were probably the best thing for me. I “over researched” the hell out of the Hogan test, and ended up failing it. When I got the “thanks for trying” email from United, is said “F*** United” and applied to Spirit the next day. Was in FLL in less than a month for training. Been the only smart move I’ve made in my career. When things turn around, I’d recommend Spirit to anyone who can get in, the atmosphere is very similar to XJT from 10 years ago. Great crews...A LOT of whom are former XJT
TJV
Glad to hear it. Everyone I know that is at Spirit loves it. I should have made the move years ago.

Zero-G

I can't say I've regretted moving on to UA... especially given the way everything turned out. I would have waited too long to get into SW if I had continued to wait. I think anyone that went anywhere that wasn't another RJ did well.

Last edited:

scotts

We do still get the ZED Fare deal through airlineretirees,com if you meet the criteria. One would've hoped for better, but you know how Regional Pilots are treated. I tell anyone who will listen not to ever subject yourself to this lousy assed career. Great job- shitty career choice! YMMV.
Has anyone actually used Airlineretirees.com for a flight? I understand you have to wait until 2 days prior to travel to book. Is that right?

Nomad

scotts, IDK, but I would call Dan who runs the Site & ask. I'm holding off right now because of the obvious goings on at the moment. Hate to get really sick overseas with all the possible ramifications thereof.

flylowatnight

I’ve used airline retirees many times. So far only on Southwest. Den-grr. They can get you a ticket in two hours or less if needed. Best to do it the day before. They have been very nice. Total cost one way was approximately $35 for the ticket and $40 to book tickets. You can do round tickets so that would be around $110. Good option. If you can see loads it is not bad. United and Skywest suck!

Latest posts