anyone ever live on a boat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ramira18, Jun 15, 2012.

Help Support The Pipe by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1

ramira18

ramira18

ramira18

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, Ive heard about several crewmembers that have lived on a boat in a harbor. Was it enjoyable? did it get old? how long was it tolerable? pros + cons, What size vessel?

2. Jun 15, 2012 #2

Champ2kt

Champ2kt

Champ2kt

Short answer , it's fun, a pain in the ***, really cool, can be lots of work, very laid back, not for everybody, but you ought to try it. Just make sure you have enough boat. We spend a week or so at a time on our 36' sail boat and love it.

3. Jun 16, 2012 #3

C30JM

C30JM

C30JM

I'd love to do it, but it's not for everyone, my fiance included. Two people on a 36 foot boot can start to feel small after a week or so, but I know a few single guys who seem to live happily on boats smaller than 30 feet. We own a 30 foot boat and enjoy spending a night or two on it, but I wouldn't want to live on it unless I was retired and just moving it around the country.

Low 40' is where sailboats start to look like homes to me, but then again, for a few hundred thousand why wouldn't they? :)

Seeing some of the smaller boats in some of the not so nice marinas around here strikes me as living in a camper, not really the romantic idea of boat life that people think of.

Take care, Dan.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #4

rjacobs

rjacobs

rjacobs

Cant help you out with the boat, but I lived in a 26' Airstream up on Lake Travis in Austin for almost a year. It was cool as hell.

But I agree, on anything less than probably a 38-40' boat that costs $250k+ I probably wouldnt do it.

5. Jul 13, 2012 #5

Windy City

Windy City

Windy City

I have...I lived aboard a 34 ft. Trawler for 5+ years in eastern NC. We lived dockside which provided numerous creature comforts (i.e. car, laundry, etc). It is an amazing experience but not without it's complications & challenges. There is nothing quite like having a cup of coffee in the morning while the dolphins and/or sea otters are out playing. Most morning commutes pale in comparison to that.

Additionally, we had 2 cats &. 2 dogs, too, and they loved hanging out either on or off the boat. Just in case you are wondering about pets aboard.

I am not sure if this is helpful. Please feel free to pm or call me with any questions

6. Jul 13, 2012 #6

Windy City

Windy City

Windy City

Oh, I should probably mention that I am female. It isn't for every woman, but it is certainly fun if you are up for it.

7. Jul 13, 2012 #7

fazole

fazole

fazole

Just make sure you don't mind doing maintenance; lots and lots of maintenance. If you have lots of friends you can invite them over for a free boat cruise AFTER they help you do the maintenance. :cool:

8. Jul 20, 2013 #8

wer11

wer11

wer11

i have lived on a boat for about three days,weather it is comfortable depend on a lot of facters especially youself,so you'd better try it youself.

Walkera Master CP

9. Jul 24, 2013 #9

campingalan

campingalan

campingalan

http://www.cruisersforum.com/

http://cruisersnet.net/

http://www.anything-sailing.com/

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cmps_index.php

http://www.sailblogs.com/

Here are a few forums to help research. Life is pretty similar to living on an RV/camper; except moisture is always prevelant. Recommend going to a boat dealer and setting up a few viewings of a few different types to help drive your search-- catamaran, monohull, etc. It is free to look!!

This site: http://www.yachtworld.com/ is pretty good for going into the advanced search function to see boats in your general area, boats screened to be only the type you are interested in, and price range. It is free to look.

10. Mar 17, 2014 #10

Inteldrour

Inteldrour

Inteldrour

i always wondered about those people that lived on a boat. I would imagine its not as spacious as a house....but you're not limited to 1 location. but after a while the rocking of the boat might annoy me....especially if its a bad storm.

im assuming theres a generator to power the electrical appliances....does that generator run on gas? how quickly does it run out? id assume you end up spending a boat load (pun intended) of money just on fuel alone

11. Mar 17, 2014 #11

superdantx

superdantx

superdantx

A lot of marinas provide "shore power", a GPU for the boat.... some even provide waste and water service.

12. Mar 18, 2014 #12

campingalan

campingalan

campingalan

Well...the spaciousness compared to a house depends on the size of boat you were on. The same mantra that applies to flying (Bernoulli's theory has nothing to do with lift.....tons more money does), applies to boating. It can get very expensive to buy, maintain, and moor if some research effort isn't expended.

A 40ft monohull sailboat, which is shaped like a fat canoe down below the deck, would have something like 37 ft long and at the widest point below, would be maybe 12-17 ft wide at the widest point (read: a pretty large boat can only have 200-400sq ft). If you are living on it, you can't discount the top side outside; maybe erecting some additional sidings to close in additional potential "living area" (I'm talking about taking advantage of any outside roofing and enclosing it if you are in a moderate climate to have additional closed in space)

You would be surprised how calm a marina can be; even in somewhat windy environments. It all has to do with how protected the marina space is relative to the wind and water. If you were talking about the rocking/heeling/listing while out on the water, a wider based boat would be more stable (i.e. a catamaran vice a single hull sailboat). Of course, if you are out in a storm, it is going to be bumpy.

Yes to the previous post, shore power is the way to go when you are docked. However, if out on the water, the higher quality boats will have diesel engines; their generators would be diesel too. An open water sailboat would maybe have 40-100 gal tank; a yacht/trawler would have several hundred, if not 1000s of gallons, depending on the size.

Money on fuel-- if it is a power boat, absolutely! If it is a sailboat being used by an airline guy that only has 3 days off; you are probably going to be firing up the motor for that too.

Marina fees are all over the map. A slip at Boca Chica Naval Air Station Marina by Key West could be had for $7/foot; $280/mnth for a 40' sailboat. Just down the road in Key West , it was more like $3000ish for the same boat. The true budgeted folks would moor the boat out in the harbor and ride a small jon boat back and forth to the shore. Obviously, logistics with power, water, waste, etc is at a much higher cost doing that.

13. Sep 20, 2016 #13

afifaadam

afifaadam

afifaadam

i think it would be very very cool .and in my view no one can live more than one day in the boat without any pain??