Custom Search
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: complete and utter meltdown in IAH today

Even just 2 years ago ... this place kinda sucked, but it still seemed like common sense generally prevailed & people generally tried to do their jobs. Now, this place has tanked. Common sense is a rare find, nearly all decisions make no sense, and no one gives a fu@k. "SureJet" was just the first sign of the apocolypse. I thought CAL - by chosing a merger with UAL - had a corner on the market as the Poster Child for the new book "From First to Worst". Looks like we'll be right behind them ...

I think bottom line is UAL is getting what they paid for. I'm sure as hell not doing any more than my job-nor will I do anything to mask the inability of others to do their job. Lately Eagle has been asking (begging, really) for me to drop the brake with the jetway still attached, ice not delivered...etc etc just so they can get an on time out time. Not happening.
    IMR
    EWR CA

We should still try and outperform the other non-hackers that United contracts feed from. As a minimum, this should be a goal to justify our pilots getting paid more than the pinnacle guys (being that we are in contract negotiations.) The fact that our pilots care is what I felt made the difference between us and eagle/pinnacle/mesa/republic/etc. When the pilots stop giving a crap, we will be truly screwed.
    Grizzled Life Coach

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
    Nice attitude. Why do so many of you guys have this attitude?
    I'm genuinely interested. What other attitude is it that people expect? I absolutely believe that life is what you make of it, and work is indeed just a tiny portion of that life. But when you show up each day and watch the same nonsense occur, that really starts to wear on you. You watch the customer be hideously and grievously mistreated. You realize that the company simply doesn't care about providing a product for anyone to take pride in. Not Expressjet, not United, no one. How do some people just brush this off and keep pushing along with that, "oh there are challenges but this is just the nature of the beast" attitude? These aren't challenges anymore. These aren't tough times. This is simply a product and an entire model of doing business that is egregiously flawed and deserves to fail. Propping it all up doesn't help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    We should still try and outperform the other non-hackers that United contracts feed from. As a minimum, this should be a goal to justify our pilots getting paid more than the pinnacle guys (being that we are in contract negotiations.) The fact that our pilots care is what I felt made the difference between us and eagle/pinnacle/mesa/republic/etc. When the pilots stop giving a crap, we will be truly screwed.
    What specifically do you think we should be doing as pilots to "outperform" that is somehow going to miraculously turn into extra negotiating leverage?

UAL is just managing the customers expectations, like they do ours.

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But why should we give a sh*t? As somebody mentioned UAL is managing customer expectations. By saying 'when the pilots stop giving a crap, we will be truly screwed' you're basically saying management doesn't give a sh*t-which for the most part I think is true. Its not our responsibility to make up for management's incompetence/indifference/whatever you want to call it.
    IMR
    EWR CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Hoffa View Post
    As soon as you realize you are a subcontractor in a seniority based career, meaning how hard you work to cover up others mistakes has ZERO effect on your positive progression, you will stop caring too.
    A+. Probably the most relevant and true post i have read on the pipe. Maintaining the status quo each day is expected. Going above and beyond goes both unrewarded and unrecognized.

FWIW....I always talk to the maintenance guys when they are on my plane and they are in the exact same boat we are. They are understaffed, underfunded, underequipped, and being worked to the bone. They have basically joined all the rest of us in not giving a crap. Have you seen the paperwork they have to do just for a few standard items? It now takes 3X as long to do just about anything just due to the ridiculous logbook entries they have to make thanks to ASA. The last guy I talked to said they are under FAA scrutiny now because they are managed by ASA - he said under their old PMI, they just let them do their thing and left them alone....now the FAA is all over them because the Feds know the ASA way is BS. So, if you were a mechanic here what would you do? Answer: slow down and cover your azz on everything and simply do what you can with what you have been handed. Sound familiar?
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Or work at Expressjet.

I think I guys are missing MX's point here!

IMHO

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information