Custom Search
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Why are pilots checking in?

Quote Originally Posted by puddles View Post
    It just doesn't work in Chicago. If I'm allowed to commute in on a flight that arrives within 15 minutes of show, I'll actually be late to the gate if I have to go all the way to the crew room an then all the way to F. This is especially true if I commute in on American.
    If I remember right, you can check in on any of the computers that we get paperwork from in ORD. Now, that being said, no way in he11 am I going to sign in.

For those of you that have changed this thread into a get to work on time, your missing the point. This is a contract issue that was taken away from us. PERIOD.

Agree with you but my point in saying be on time is that obviously a few have been screwing up and forcing this issue upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by jacburn View Post
    If I remember right, you can check in on any of the computers that we get paperwork from in ORD. Now, that being said, no way in he11 am I going to sign in.

For those of you that have changed this thread into a get to work on time, your missing the point. This is a contract issue that was taken away from us. PERIOD.

Don't forget that scheduling screws up all the time, forgets to call reserves, forgets to assign trips, plane diverts with your crew on it. It is not all us! They are using us to cover their ***!

I know this is a hot button item for you guys, but I have to admit I can't figure out why. Checking in occurs automatically for me as I print my pairing, and I always print my pairing before I start a trip. Of course, in ATL the bus drops us at the crew lounge.

For those of us on the CRJ, it's been the standard for a long time. Just last week scheduling called because my check in failed and I hadn't noticed. No big deal, I just said I was at the gate, and that was it.

Good luck fighting the good fight, but I doubt this issue will be much of a sticking point or the CRJ guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    I know this is a hot button item for you guys, but I have to admit I can't figure out why. Checking in occurs automatically for me as I print my pairing, and I always print my pairing before I start a trip. Of course, in ATL the bus drops us at the crew lounge.

For those of us on the CRJ, it's been the standard for a long time. Just last week scheduling called because my check in failed and I hadn't noticed. No big deal, I just said I was at the gate, and that was it.

Good luck fighting the good fight, but I doubt this issue will be much of a sticking point or the CRJ guys.
    As has been stated on here before, it's an issue for us because we used to have a check in process that we negotiated to eliminate in an LOA several years ago. Why would we want to just reinstate something that we negotiated away without getting anything in return?

The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Good question Southerner. To add to what Jetlinker said, I'll add what someone mentioned earlier...By checking in, I think of that as the equivelancy of electronically "punching a time clock". If I do that, then I EXPECT and DEMAND to be paid in accordance with the "common man standard" which would compare any other job in this country that punches a clock and starts getting paid IMMEDIATELY. I WILL NOT sacrifice or donate any more of my valuable time to this company without MASSIVE gains. I've given more than I should have already...
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

I know this is a hot button item for you guys, but I have to admit I can't figure out why. ...Good luck fighting the good fight, but I doubt this issue will be much of a sticking point or the CRJ guys.
    At the risk of repeating myself, it's a sticking point for me because it is a tool for negotiation. I'm giving you CRJ guys the benefit of the doubt by assuming you got something contractually in return for the requirement to "check in". Good for you. We ERJ guys, however, are trusting our Union Negotiation team to leverage this desire by management with our own incremental contract provision. My Union speaks for me.

Just curious: What did your union get in return for having to electronically acknowledge your responsibility to show up for work?

I must admit, I can't believe the CRJ guys are showing up to work more because of the mandatory "check in" process. I absolutely believe they are as professional and responsible as the ERJ guys to show up to work the trips they are supposed to work, so I can't see the reason to mandate a "check in " process in the first place.

I don't care if we get any gains for checking in. I still don't want it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of you that see it as a contract concession, but as someone else stated it's not feasible or practical to do this. Not the way our operation is set up. Can you imagine actually going through security in E, walking to B to check in, and then walking to D to fly out? That is an actual scenario coming soon to a theater near you.

And since it is apparent that our company, for whatever reason, cant even put the fucken printers in the same fucken room as the computers......you will never convince me that they will set up check in's in every terminal.

This is just another example of some dumbass supervisor or manager that has no idea what flying the line entails making yet another decision that puts an obstacle in our way of just getting the job done. I haven't missed a trip in fifteen years, and I haven't seen management do anything to make our jobs easier since they implemented automatic fuel load ordering.

Now I have to get back to trying to figure out how to scan all my documents for the geniuses in Atlanta, because you know, the copies they have now are so obsolete.

And BTW Southerner? If all they do is call you when you don't check in, what's the point? If we don't show up at the gate, they will eventually call us too? Just seems like more work for the schedulers, because like I said, it would be difficult for ERJ guys to get to the crew room for EVERY trip. We don't get dropped off anywhere near the crew room, never have.
    Last edited by Left Coast; 04-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlinker View Post
    As has been stated on here before, it's an issue for us because we used to have a check in process that we negotiated to eliminate in an LOA several years ago. Why would we want to just reinstate something that we negotiated away without getting anything in return?
    I hear ya. Personally, I think they should enable you to check in from your phone. If you check in and the flight departs late, then fine, come get me and I'll do a carpet dance.

I understand why the company likes the check in. It helps to get a ready reserve on the way if someone isn't going to make their flight. I don't understand why we can't check in from any mobile device though. If I say I'll be there, I'll be there.

I hear ya. Personally, I think they should enable you to check in from your phone. If you check in and the flight departs late, then fine, come get me and I'll do a carpet dance.

I understand why the company likes the check in. It helps to get a ready reserve on the way if someone isn't going to make their flight. I don't understand why we can't check in from any mobile device though. If I say I'll be there, I'll be there.
    If a crewmember isn't at the plane 30 prior, I call scheduling and let them know. They call the missing crewmember and if they cant gwt a hold of them they call the ready reserve. This process Seems to have been working for the past 20 years. What's the big deal?
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -- Ben Franklin

protections for our pilots equivalent to those contained in our current agreement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information