Custom Search
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flightdeck iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    I would imagine its because they would have to retrofit all the aircraft to have a power/charging supply (and be certified) in addition to whatever else it takes to be able to have an iPad. Every plane would have to be able to charge an iPad before even one person was allowed to have an iPad instead of jepps. Imagine if one or both pilots showed up for work with a 5% charge remaining. The thing would likely die on climb-out. I'd love to hear a PA saying a flight is being delayed so an ipad could charge. Also, at what charge percentage is required before flying if there is no charging equipment on board? I'm sure the cost of equipment, installation, certification, etc is very high.
    I'm not talking about JEPPS...I'm talking about replacing COMPANY manuals ONLY, i.e., CFM and FOM. Those two books alone would free up not only space in my flight bag, but also about 10#.
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

I'll do some asking around, but someone told me the Alaska Pilots have a requirement to show up for duty with 50% or better battery life remaining, and do not have to have power/charging capabilities... Can anyone confirm or deny that?
    “It’s jus’ gonna be like Christmas, I mean, It’s gonna be great. No worries, ya know, no bills. We can go ahead and jus’ pay our copays and be ah-ight”

“I don’t ha ta worry about puttin’ gas in my car, I don’t ha ta worry about payin' my mortgage. Ya know, If I help him, he gonna help me!”

A Colgan check airman told me a lot of folks over there are downloading the charts on their own and using their iPads in flight. They still have to lug the paper around, they just never actually dig it out of the bag (it'd be funny if they just stow their flight kits in the closet). I suppose there's a slight gain in convenience to be gained there in exchanged for a decrease in legality.
    Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    I'm gonna go make a great pot of coffee. Why don't you have a nice, hot cup of STFU...

What's an ipad?

Dang! you guys are out of shape...lol...I got a brother in law that got hurt at work also...wink wink...dam u guys need to save that up for when u turn 60...jeezzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    I would imagine its because they would have to retrofit all the aircraft to have a power/charging supply (and be certified) in addition to whatever else it takes to be able to have an iPad. Every plane would have to be able to charge an iPad before even one person was allowed to have an iPad instead of jepps. Imagine if one or both pilots showed up for work with a 5% charge remaining. The thing would likely die on climb-out. I'd love to hear a PA saying a flight is being delayed so an ipad could charge. Also, at what charge percentage is required before flying if there is no charging equipment on board? I'm sure the cost of equipment, installation, certification, etc is very high.
    there is no room for common sense and safety in our apple fanatic dreamworld! your banished!
    Disclaimers: are stupid.

Who says Apple will be the vendor. Remember, our IT systems are all windows based. Also, the plan was never to give a tablet to each pilot. Two per plane was how I understood the ROI plans.

Quote Originally Posted by j3tDr1v3r View Post
    I'll do some asking around, but someone told me the Alaska Pilots have a requirement to show up for duty with 50% or better battery life remaining, and do not have to have power/charging capabilities... Can anyone confirm or deny that?
    though that seems like it could work, pilots are idiots an will always manage to screw something up. Unless their is an inspector checking your battery charge before every duty day, someone will show up with less than 50% and cause some sort of incident soooooo...they will require a way to have it mounted and charged in the cockpit
    Disclaimers: are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by j3tDr1v3r View Post
    I read the memo, briefly, to the United Pilots. They each get one with some rules attached. YOu must show to work with a certain amount of battery life available. If the battery looses X amount of charge in less than Y minutes, the CPO will exchange it. Can't use it below 10k feet (must use the ship set below 10k and if there is a discrepency between pads), yadda yadda...
    The dude abides. I'm gonna go find a cash machine.

Seeing as how the company has come to the conclusion that it is much cheaper to outsource so many of it's functions, maybe we should look into outsourcing the accounting and management functions to fund EFDs. Clearly we are not able to compete in this market due to the cost structure of management.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTool View Post
    We should get ship set jepps at a minimum, just like the precious skywest pilots.
    As an aside... why do people refer to the aircraft as "ship"? It's very curious to me. I always hear people calling maintenance and describing their flying machine as "Ship 983" for example. Did you folks secretly want to be sailors and settled for being pilots?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information