Custom Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flightdeck iPad

I know the company is busy right now , but I don't understand why they can't go to the FAA and get a waiver for pilots that own their own iPad to be able to, AT A MINIMUM, carry the company manuals on their iPad and remove them from their flight cases. That would get rid of at least 10 lbs. right there. I gotta say, my shoulder is getting screwed up as well. And I think it's just from pulling 60+ lbs. of dead weight through CARPETED terminals all the time. I'm on the verge of investigating surgery.
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    I know the company is busy right now , but I don't understand why they can't go to the FAA and get a waiver for pilots that own their own iPad to be able to, AT A MINIMUM, carry the company manuals on their iPad and remove them from their flight cases. That would get rid of at least 10 lbs. right there. I gotta say, my shoulder is getting screwed up as well. And I think it's just from pulling 60+ lbs. of dead weight through CARPETED terminals all the time. I'm on the verge of investigating surgery.
    I would guess that 30% of XJT pilots already own iPads. Good idea about storing the company manuals on them until they get approval for Jepp charts, etc

I was out for 6 months last year, I am still under doctors care and being told I need surgery for my shoulder.
    Homer Simpson: "if you don't like your job, you don't strike: you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way"

We should get ship set jepps at a minimum, just like the precious skywest pilots.

In January the training center was saying that because the numbers showed it taking 3 years to reach the break even point, it was denied (2 years was the goal). So, yeah. Stupid. I guess long-term savings is not in their vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by kailuaboy View Post
    In January the training center was saying that because the numbers showed it taking 3 years to reach the break even point, it was denied (2 years was the goal). So, yeah. Stupid. I guess long-term savings is not in their vocabulary.
    CFOs, Financial planners and accountants only care about ROI, return in investment in dollars. Shoulder surgeries, back injuries are probably included in the cost analysis. The costs seem to state it would take too long to recoup the investment in dollars. It's mostly about the money. It's their job to count the beans.

Employees moral, shoulder and back injuries and quality of life are probably far down the list.

Sometimes a company should do something because it's the right thing to do.

(This is only my opinion and does not constitute any detailed information)
    Last edited by Rig; 03-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.

And yet, they are still paying me benefits to sit out for around 18 months and having to pay another pilot to fly/work what I could be working if I wasn't injured. Seems to me paying two people to do the same job costs more money than making our jobs easier and less prone to injuries. But then again, I'm just a dumb@$$ line pilot, what could I possibly know except how to read a manual, fly the plane and submit to being micromanaged?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTool View Post
    We should get ship set jepps at a minimum, just like the precious skywest pilots.
    That is exactly right.

For you guys that are currently out, could you explain how the pay works? I assume they first take all of your sick time, second all of your accrued vacation, third OJI bank, and then LTD starts?

Do you get 75 hours per month until LTD starts? I understand LTD is 55% of your income. How do they calculate that? Is it based on last year's W2, or 55% of your current payrate times 75 hours per month?

I posted this in another ipad thread, but we really need our insurance companies to start putting pressure on the company to buy these things, cause they are the ones paying when we go out on OJI.

Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    I would imagine its because they would have to retrofit all the aircraft to have a power/charging supply (and be certified) in addition to whatever else it takes to be able to have an iPad. Every plane would have to be able to charge an iPad before even one person was allowed to have an iPad instead of jepps. Imagine if one or both pilots showed up for work with a 5% charge remaining. The thing would likely die on climb-out. I'd love to hear a PA saying a flight is being delayed so an ipad could charge. Also, at what charge percentage is required before flying if there is no charging equipment on board? I'm sure the cost of equipment, installation, certification, etc is very high.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information