Custom Search
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: April Bid Packets

Quote Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
    Here's the deal:

If you don't get to trading trips in the ILIW within the first 10 seconds of it opening, you're not going to make anything happen. In those first 10 seconds, you can trade 2 trips for 1 trip, and bang out say, a 4 day. If you get that trade to work, you've gone from 12 days off to 16. If not, well, hopefully you can still make things a little more commutable.

So if you're not sitting in front of a computer with things perfectly timed, it won't happen. Does it benefit everybody? No, but it benefits those that bid off the ILIW so they can be at home and ready to go when the window opens.
    Not completely true. I've traded down hours after the window opens and even the next day. If you're willing to trade a 4 day for a 3 day, for example, you may be able to get several more days off after the window has been open for some time. The main point LQ5 doesn't get is that we have an opportunity to improve our schedules with the ILIW and the SLIW and that opportunity isn't something any Xjt pilot is willing to give up.

Thanks everyone for the explanation of how the ILIW works maybe LQ understands it better now. Of course not every junior line pilot can get 16+ days off but you can improve your schedule greatly in the ILIW. The part that I like is how much control over my schedule I have, even during the SLIW. With a PBS system like yours LQ I would have very little control over improving my schedule after the computer gave me what my seniority could hold.

I will say that I would hate a system where I need to be chained to the computer at the exact second the process starts or I am S.O.L! Heck, if I'm not working at the prescribed time, I'd probably be sleeping.

In that case you can just fly the senior line you were awarded. It was good to begin with. The line improvement windows can be tough if you're not trading in the first few minutes but it worth it to make that time available for those that are junior or evern those that are senior but have had plans in their life change since their line was awarded. Now all those that wish to participate have an opportunity to improve their schedule by at least a little and in some cases for the dedicated, a lot.

This is all made possible because of the open time created from transition conflicts, training, and vacation. Because senior people have more vacation and training (captains), much of that open time can be quite good because it drops off senior lines. That means even if you can't trade into more days off in the line improvement you can often replace some or all of your crappy, low time, uncommutable trips with choice pairings.

Where did my crappy trips go? They are made into releif lines. Those are the guys that usually get stuck flying the not so good stuff. However with bad day/worse day trading in the secondary line improvement even those guys have a decent opportunity to more their schedule around. Not so much get days more days off but still improve.

Quote Originally Posted by LQ5-39A View Post
    I will say that I would hate a system where I need to be chained to the computer at the exact second the process starts or I am S.O.L! Heck, if I'm not working at the prescribed time, I'd probably be sleeping.
    You're right it is annoying to be chained to the computer at 11 o'clock at night but the reward is well worth it.

Man, you're dense. It's really like beating a dead horse in this thread.

Why is that dense? Because I wouldn't like to have to be sitting at the computer at precicely 11 pm every month on a certain day?

Rough crowd!

Why is that dense? Because I wouldn't like to have to be sitting at the computer at precicely 11 pm every month on a certain day?

Rough crowd!

You can not even grasp 5% of what they are trying to explain to you. The benefits you can get out of the ILIW are far superior to the 10 minutes you will spend in front of the computer. If you are senior and like your line, you do not even know what night the ILIW is, but other wise, it is the best tool a pilot can have to change and improve QOL, PAY, DAYS OFF, CREWS, etc...you do not have that in your system.
    A. Pares
    XJT 01-13

IAH B737 UA

If ALL the benefits of the ILIW could be attained the first time around with PBS, and the flexibility of the SLIW was there with a decent amount of open time....it would be a better system. So far I'm not believing that's a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodigity514 View Post
    You're right it is annoying to be chained to the computer at 11 o'clock at night but the reward is well worth it.
    2nd, 3rd, and 4th this statement!!
    SA5X06

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information