Custom Search

Thread: Olympia Snowe to retire

Another one of the true moderates to leave. Sadly, they are a shrinking minority in politics as fewer and fewer individuals seem to be able to reach across the aisle to work together. She even mentions that in her explanation.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ate/?hpt=hp_t2

And, it's ironic because then there is the reaction of some Democrats to the developments in the following story:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

Finally some are starting to work together and some Democrats are dismissing it as theater only. Now who is going to be the obstructionist party? It exactly proves what Senator Snowe was talking about in her decision to retire.
    XJT Alum 6/99-10/07

One can view the polarization as good or bad. I personally think that the weeding out of the moderate middle will accelerate the demise of the two party system; not a minute too soon.
    Brawl with a pig and you go away with his stink.

Quote Originally Posted by nixon View Post
    One can view the polarization as good or bad. I personally think that the weeding out of the moderate middle will accelerate the demise of the two party system; not a minute too soon.
    And I disagree with that. I think weeding out the moderates polarizes us even more driving us even further into a two-party system. I could be wrong though.

I've said it before: despite what Republicans or Democrats would have people believe, the majority of this country is not way right or way left. If you look at a scale of 1-9 on the political scale, the majority of folks in this country fall somewhere in the middle 4-6 range. I'm around a 5 as a fiscal conservative but social progressive and lean more towards the 4 side of that number. I'll never agree with the far right 8's and 9's just as I don't usually agree with the 1's and 2's on the left. Yet, it's surprising that a truly viable third party doesn't exist in this country with the middle ground occupying so much of the electorate.
    XJT Alum 6/99-10/07

The less congress does, the better.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -- Ben Franklin

protections for our pilots equivalent to those contained in our current agreement

Thread Information