Custom Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips on opening up/unclogging eustachian tube and ear ?

it's been 4 days and I have not been able to open up my "clogged" ear. It became clogged on the decent, and just was not able to equalize the pressure at all. i've been taking antibiotics, sudafed, affrin, ibproferen, netti pot thing, and trying the valsalva a few times a day, but nothings working! usually my OTHER ear responds to the valsalva maneuver and then hurts, while the other stays clogged. the pain was incredible on the decent, and obviously can't fly until its fixed, but i've never had this issue for so long!
    any tips someone else might have to help fix this problem? it's becoming real annoying.

My doc recommended Mucinex-D to me the last time this happened. Seemed to work! Good luck, it sucks.
    XJT 09/07-09/08
    B757/767 FO

i had the same thing....sux
    what worked for me FINALLY was a cap full of hydrogen peroxide ... you may want to dilute with water if you try many times because it will dry out your ear.

Best recommendation I have!

I had the same thing a few weeks ago, I think damage was done since since I still can't hear right out of that ear. I went down to the clinic, they pulled me off the trip. They gave me a steroid injection, suddafed, antibiotics and wouldn't let me fly home until they signed off on it. I was stuck in IAH for 3 days...stay away from the airplane until you are good to go!
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone he can blame it on."

"it's better to be pissed-off than to be pissed-on"

Quote Originally Posted by jessetheaviator View Post
    it's been 4 days and I have not been able to open up my "clogged" ear. It became clogged on the decent, and just was not able to equalize the pressure at all. i've been taking antibiotics, sudafed, affrin, ibproferen, netti pot thing, and trying the valsalva a few times a day, but nothings working! usually my OTHER ear responds to the valsalva maneuver and then hurts, while the other stays clogged. the pain was incredible on the decent, and obviously can't fly until its fixed, but i've never had this issue for so long!
    any tips someone else might have to help fix this problem? it's becoming real annoying.
    Bang a sick call for your next pairing/reserve assignment and then go to the clinic. Follow their instructions to the letter and if they restrict you from flight duty for 'x' days, then do not even THINK about this place for 'x' days. I realize that if you commute to base it's a PITA, but a note from the clinic (or ANY doctor for that matter) is an EXCUSED ABSENCE despite what the CPO will tell you or will have you believe.
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

I get sinus inflammation that causes this in my left ear from time to time. Doc gives me a steroid injection and dex pac and this reduces the problem in a day or two. Veramyst nasal steroid spray helps keep it away and is FAA approved. Sounds like a little allergy issue.
    Last edited by ddornacker; 04-10-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    David Dornacker
    USN Retired
    361 443-0671
    ddornacker@aol.com

Tubes as a last resort but it has worked for me.

If you call in sick, you can kiss your chances of ever being a check airman at XJT goodbye. FYI, Delta also looks for absences from work when you apply to them, so you better not call in sick, EVER, if you want to work for Delta.

Bottle of whiskey and a hot needle
    G. Palmer

The first time it happened to me it took two weeks for it to clear. I know it's a pain, but just keep taking your meds and trying to clear it with the valsalva, but if it hurts, don't try too hard. If you burst the ear drum it will be even worse. If it keeps happening, tubes are awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information