Custom Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniform Questions

New hire here. Our class was fitted for uniforms today. They want something like $530 for a package of clothes from CrewOutfitters that includes the blazer, 2 pants, 3 shirts, an all-weather coat, hat, tie, and shoes. Do we need all that? Do you guys try to save money by buying stuff elsewhere?

No... Don't necessarily need all that.

Not at once anyway.

2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, 1 pair of epaulets, 1 belt, 1 tie, airport friendly shoes. No hat needed.

Men's Black Pants: $19.99 x 2

Short sleeve Van Huesen Aviator: $18.90 x 2 (get the tapered fit)

1 pair of Epaulets: $11.50+

Clip Tie: $8.50 (It looks just as good as a regular tie... but the ease of use and the fact that someone can't pull you around with it is great!)

Men's black leather belt w/brass buckle: $19.50 This one is perfect for when you gain your first year 20 lbs.

Shoe's: $39.99

Blazer: $159.00 (I've worn mine on a total of about 10 trips in the past 6+ years. I just added the 4th stripe to it this past year and wore it for one trip.)

Coat: $99.00 (in black, ditch the belt)

Leather Coat: $435 or this one is offered with payroll deduct: $460

These are just examples... But with a bit of shopping around and creative wardrobe working... you should come out ahead.

Personally, I'd ditch the blazer and trench coat for now and go for the the leather coat instead. Get the zip out thinsulate liner and you'll be fine in the spring and fall as well as the winter. The bonus is that the coat makes a great personal jacket as well.

All that said... if they are offering payroll deduct on the package they want you to take, and you can't afford the other items any other way, then I guess it's not bad. But, I'd really look at other options that are more affordable and comfortable overall.

Hope that helps.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob; 01-11-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Bob Moyer

EWR FO -> IAH FO -> SAT FO -> IAH CA -> ONT CA -> EWR CA........................The circle is complete.
    ------------------------------
    Maine... The way life should be.

Hat? No
    Shoes? Buy your own somewhere else
    Get only the blazer OR leather jacket, NO to the streaker jacket
    Pants? The Cintas ones are cheap and will start to wear out after a year, buy your own

The guy selling all this stuff gets paid to sell you more, just use some common sense.

Not sure how much they are selling the shirts for there. These are the same brand/style as they'll sell you as a new hire and may be cheaper here: http://www.pilotshirts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VCS

Personally I like having both the leather jacket and the blazer. I don't want to wear the leather jacket when its 50 degrees out because I would sweat like a pig, but I don't want to go short sleeve either and the blazer is a nice compromise. But you can save yourself $150 if you only get the leather jacket (or save yourself a few hundred if you only get the blazer).

Also I've never flown with someone wearing a hat, and I've only seen maybe 2 wearing it while passing through IAH.
    Last edited by Do A Barrel Roll; 01-03-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Listen, when we went through they pushed and pushed and pushed those clothes, and most of us bought them because we didn't know better.

If you want to buy something from the guy, buy a single pair of pants, one shirt, and the blazer. Once you get the pants and shirt, now you know what you're looking for when you go shopping for real pants. Wear those crap pants a few times until you get your good pants (I personally buy Dickies black pants and remove the Dickies logo on the back). The shirt will fit you like a parachute, even if you try and get it tailored and tapered, which you will need to. The blazer is good to have.

Shoes you can get on your own... search here or Airline Pilot Central and people have tons of great options for airport safe shoes. The tie they sell you is not the one you want... go buy a zipper tie from the stop-over store in Houston (it is at the airport).

Anything else, feel free to ask.

2 pairs of pants and a blazer. That is it.

Shirts from pilotshirts.com, they have more of a taper.

Zipper tie and epaulets from stop over store.

Get a black sweater to wear under blazer on the really cold days.

Not a fan of the leather jacket. Can be too hot in the airport and costs a lot.

People like to say that it you can wear it on the overnights. But, if the other pilot has one also, you are now a couple of guys in dorky leather jackets walking around drinking beer and trying to get laid.

Oh yeah, fukc the hat.
    Last edited by Kenny Powers; 01-03-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fukc the hat.
    "Why Give 100% when 35% will get you Paid and Laid."

"The best part about being Kenny Powers is being Kenny Powers."

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism."

"I'm a fuckin' stallion! I should be owned by a god damned middle eastern sheik."

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    Hat? No
    Shoes? Buy your own somewhere else
    Get only the blazer OR leather jacket, NO to the streaker jacket
    Pants? The Cintas ones are cheap and will start to wear out after a year, buy your own

The guy selling all this stuff gets paid to sell you more, just use some common sense.
    I'm interested to see how the hat issue shakes out during the merger process. My vote is with optional hats.

I will echo, get 2 pairs of pants. If you want a blazer get one. If you get a blazer, get the pants from the same vendor, it just dont look right if its not. Im starting my 6th year on my original 2 pairs of Cintas pants. They only go to the dry cleaners though.

Get your shirts from pilotshirts.com. They are much better quality than the vanhusen or cintas circus tents for only 3-4 bucks more.

Epaulets and zipper tie from stopoverstore.

Buy your shoes elsewhere. I like Johnston and Murphy's, but I am a shoe whore.

I have a leather jacket with the zip out vest liner. I dont have a blazer or overcoat. When you zip out the liner in the jacket its pretty versatile. I have found that I either needed the jacket or I could go in my short sleeve shirt, but I am a warm natured person.
    Read your contract.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
    Listen, when we went through they pushed and pushed and pushed those clothes, and most of us bought them because we didn't know better.

If you want to buy something from the guy, buy a single pair of pants, one shirt, and the blazer. Once you get the pants and shirt, now you know what you're looking for when you go shopping for real pants. Wear those crap pants a few times until you get your good pants (I personally buy Dickies black pants and remove the Dickies logo on the back). The shirt will fit you like a parachute, even if you try and get it tailored and tapered, which you will need to. The blazer is good to have.

Shoes you can get on your own... search here or Airline Pilot Central and people have tons of great options for airport safe shoes. The tie they sell you is not the one you want... go buy a zipper tie from the stop-over store in Houston (it is at the airport).

Anything else, feel free to ask.
    I think the days of Cintas are over. This package is from Crew Outfitters and may be a bit better than anything offered by the Cintas Rep.
    Bob Moyer

EWR FO -> IAH FO -> SAT FO -> IAH CA -> ONT CA -> EWR CA........................The circle is complete.
    ------------------------------
    Maine... The way life should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    NO to the streaker jacket
    No streaker Jacket??? How will he fit in Omaha?
    "We're quickly getting into tin-foil hat territory." Ipilot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information