Custom Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okay flight attendants!!!!

ASAfa,
    I am an xjt FA. I have been a part of this forum for years and have never posted or commented. But what you said about our pay scale being part of the reason why we were sold pissed me off. Your comment says alot about AFA and you will never get my vote!
    Last edited by ifly4u; 02-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Bingo. Every time an XJT poster, whether pilot, FA, or other, makes a good point about the contract disparities, someone supposedly from the respective ASA union throws the "you all were going into bankruptcy, be dissolved, out of business" comment out there.

It is debatable the extent to which wages and work rules were significant contributions to the XJT demise.

But one thing is for sure - in particular reference AFA - your condescension towards us, your "you will adapt to our way" attitudes, and your constant dismissal of salient points offered by those who refuse to drink your cool aid will not be forgotten. I may be stuck with you someday soon, and with the generally poor contracts your "flight attendant only" union offers up to its members. But I will never tolerate your condescension. If you want to even think about one day having something close to harmony with the XJT people, you might want to consider that your tone is horrendous and off putting. I, for one, have no interest in ever listening to any of you. Period.

Instead of putting us down, why not look at some of the strengths of our contract and trying to get THOSE for YOUR PEOPLE? You have already caved to ASA's claim that our wages must come down. Great union you have there. Sign me up. NOT.

When the sale was announced, every major publication cited your cost structure as a mitigating factor in why the deal was taking place. I never meant to offend anyone, I said 'part' of why. Please don't take my comments out of context. I would like to know, justlurking, what points I dismissed? I never put down your contract. I pointed out the what AFA has to offer FA's. I sincerely hope that when we are looking to negotiate the new agreement, you know that we aspire towards the best of both. No doubt that the company will make a mint on this deal, why shouldn't we get our portion of it. I have been with ASA for over 13 years and know that our people are really looking forward to having you guys onboard. I have sensed more hostility on your part towards us. I would like to keep this friendly and informative.

I recommend you review all the threads and the comments by others who have represented themselves as ASA F/As. There have been remarks to the effect of - PBS is happening, get used to it. You will have to take a wage cut. And my favorite. Your way is not the ASA way - you will adapt. Are these direct quotes? No. I don't have time to go back and cut and paste comments. They are a summary of a sentiment. The tone is very often one of a teacher talking to kindergartners.

FYI, and I have not had time to do this, but I have been told that on the Skywest earnings call, XJT was reported as operating as a separate company in the fourth quarter....wait for it....PROFITABLY. Hmmmm....very interesting if true, don't you think? Would kind of blow away some of those arguments that keep getting thrown at us. Also, keep in mind that a great deal of excess wage has been wasted by the company paying crew members for contract violations and drafting/junior manning. So, let's see, is understaffing and thus necessitating excess pay to workers causing lack of profitability because the workers are paid too much? Or, has management misused it's resources thus creating a lack of profitability? I said the issue was debatable - not cut and dried.

But, don't miss the point. AFA is publicly agreeing with ASA that wages have to come down. WHAT? What kind of union would take that position? Ever? Seriously. That's ridiculous.

What publication are you quoting when you say AFA said our wages are coming down? Just curious where you got your facts. Thanks

http://www.scribd.com/doc/40909043/XJT-ASA-comparison

Please read. Pretty obvious in black and white which has better benefits and protections for Flight Attendants. Take a look at OJI bank and ability to trade.
    stephanie

What did that have to do with AFA saying we are going to lose wages? Also that comparison needs to be updated to relect PBS. We have partial drops. Alot of that comparison is a speck here and a bit of change there. Not that impressive to me to sell my soul.

I was not responding to the wages coming down, the publication I shared just came out. But in looking at it, for someone like me with 8 years, my wages would go down with AFA, and there is no OJI bank and a limitation on trip trades. I can trade as much as I want, bring my line down and still keep my medical benefits. From what I understand, there are no medical benefits for those who work under 60 hours. I usually work 8-10 days a month, averaging 45-55 hours and still retain all my benefits-no restrictions. No brainer on which way would be better.
    stephanie

You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. I do not believe the AFA has taken any public position on this. I don't think they are allowed to yet.

So, the constant pressure we have gotten from threads on this board to lower our expectations and expect cuts is coming from our brother/sister flight attendants who speak completely unofficially and are free to give their preferences and opinions. Rather than calling for AFA to try to attain our comparably better wage rates for ALL of us, we have been subtly and sometimes blatently told to expect to lose what we have. Our only points of comparison available are previously negotiated AFA contracts, which despite being a "flight attendant" only union, lags behind ours in work rules, scheduling, and wages to our mind.

And please, don't use rig to justify lower wages. Rig is wonderful. I LOVE rig. But rig can be easily taken away simply by constructing duty periods and trips that do not trigger it. It is icing, not sustenance. Very nice to have, very bad to count on.

I wish us all good luck. I think it will be an interesting couple of years. I'm rather done with it all.

flygirl145 and ifly4u, thanks for setting things straight. I've noticed the others are so defensive. Wonder why? IAM or nothing. IAM is far from perfect especially w/xjet and yet I'd take them over the other anyday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information