Custom Search
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, today was the day

I'm going to have to stick with everyone that says this was not the proper venue to fight. You are saying that they are taking away your rights. The issue is that you do not have a constitutional right to fly in or on a commercial airliner. It is a convenient commodity that we and passengers often take for granted, but it is not a right. If you don't believe in being searched then you have every right not to fly. No one is forcing you to fly, but rather you are flying by choice. Since you have made that choice you then accept the fact that you will have to undergo security screening which has been set up to protect the safety and security of citizens of the US. You may say that it is an unreasonable search which you do have a constitutional protection against, but once again you can avoid that unreasonable search by not flying. You agree to that search as soon as you go through security to get on a commercially operated airplane. You could fly GA and charter and never have to deal with TSA again. Don't confuse your explicit rights with your political viewpoints.

Lamp, why do you think he will have a termination hearing for this? He was not on duty and did not break any laws.
    DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND IS NO WAY ENDORSED BY EXPRESSJET INC, ALPA, ASA, SKYWEST INC, OR THE MEC

Quote Originally Posted by ScabKiller View Post
    Lamp, why do you think he will have a termination hearing for this? He was not on duty and did not break any laws.
    Why was he at the airport? Presumably he was commuting to work (or already at work, but I'm assuming since hes done it for 5 years, he commutes from MEM). He said he left the airport, so he didn't obviously make his show. This probably gives the company jurisdiction to make a move.
    They say that the captain stays fast with the ship,
    Through still and storm,
    But this ain't the Dakota,
    And the water's so cold,
    {We} won't have to fight for long.

I went down with the ship baby!

XJT Furloughee

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_Lamp View Post
    Why was he at the airport? Presumably he was commuting to work (or already at work, but I'm assuming since hes done it for 5 years, he commutes from MEM). He said he left the airport, so he didn't obviously make his show. This probably gives the company jurisdiction to make a move.
    Not sure about his previous record, but if they're going to try and can him because of one miss-trip, I would definitely get the union involved.

Let me start by saying I agree those scanners are an infringement on privacy and our liberties and I will opt out. However...

The way I see it (until your post on here), all you had was a missed trip. You can't be fired for that (assuming you weren't already on a step of discipline), and if they tried ALPA would most definitely get your job back for you. This post, and going to the media, are violations of Expressly Ours and not covered under the CBA. They can fire you for that and ALPA has no defense. I doubt they will actually fire you for this post, but if you go to the media I think you are taking a step from which there is no return. Good Luck.

Two quick points:
    First if this is not a left or right issue why do you want a Libertarian lawyer? If this is not a political issue why would any good lawyer not work? You brought it up.

Second I am surprised that no one has brought this up, but why is it that we are allowed to bypass security at some airports and not others? Even take it that we are allowed to for the first flight, but no other flights that day like at BTR? I believe it has to do with the airport authority and station mangers along with working local TSA mangers. I believe that crew members on duty should not be subjected to this stuff, but yet we are and the rules are not consistent anywhere. There is a fight here and the location of this fight I think was the wrong place or at least the way was wrong. Ask for that supervisor and the LEO to be there make it as complicated for them. One last question I have is as commuting pilot you are not on duty and I believe you are subject to the rules of a passenger, are you not? I may be wrong on this but I believe you do not have the same considerations as a crew member on duty and I still believe that is wrong since we have had to pass how many back ground checks. The whole TSA thing and the way it is run is stupid. They fail how many test a year and no one knows these stats.
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
    Not sure about his previous record, but if they're going to try and can him because of one miss-trip, I would definitely get the union involved.
    Well, coupled with the letter he wrote to management, the TSA calling the CPO, etc etc, I feel like the missed trip is the smallest of the true issues.
    They say that the captain stays fast with the ship,
    Through still and storm,
    But this ain't the Dakota,
    And the water's so cold,
    {We} won't have to fight for long.

I went down with the ship baby!

XJT Furloughee

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
    Past practice and the Attendance & Reliability Policy states that a missed trip is a written warning assuming his record is clean.
    DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND IS NO WAY ENDORSED BY EXPRESSJET INC, ALPA, ASA, SKYWEST INC, OR THE MEC

Hi Michael:
    See my reply on the Flyertalk forum. Good luck.

Personally, I think it took courage to do what he did. And for those that would second guess him, look at how the system is set up. I took the first flight out of ROA a few weeks ago, and like some of our smaller stations, we were permitted to bypass security. An hour later we were in a major international airport (IAD) and later at another (ORD), with full access to the terminal. So why do the MEM screeners need to feel his crotch when he opts out of being irradiated? They don't do it at every airport. Some airports touch your badge, some barely glance at it. Some airports let you bypass, many don't. Some airports automatically direct crews to the magnetometer, some try to push you through the oven. It's a joke, an illusion of security, and American's willingly fall for it. Once again, we are at the controls a short time after passing security, so why would our nail clippers or cuticle scissors represent a threat greater than our actual hands on the yoke??? Any good answers???

Why can you gain access to the secure area by bypassing at some airports and not at others? How is bypassing at a small facility different than bypassing at a large? The end result is the same, a pilot in the system.

Mike put talk into action, and that takes courage. Remember, he walked through the magnetometer without it sounding, just like many of us do all of the time, and then they still wanted to feel him up. The only reason they persisted was b/c he refused irradiation. Had they not directed him to the oven in the first place, none of this would have ensued. Mike took a stand. What have you done lately?
    -Me

Dr. Seuss - "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Share This Thread

Share This Thread