Custom Search
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, today was the day

At the security line is not the place for this fight. I completly agree with you and I would too opt out of the full body scan....its intrusive and an abuse of government. But if you don't do the full body scan, you have to do the pat down.....thats been in FIL's over and over again. My question is that if you know this (assuming you read FIL's) and felt so strongly about not getting patted down, why didn't you start a grassroots campaign to stop it.....was it fine until it directly effected you?
    EWR
    E.F.F.E

My far larger concern about these new scanners is that radiation is cumulative. We as pilots are already exposed to higher levels of radiaton in cruise. If these become the norm, we will also be exposed four out seven days of nearly every week of the year. No matter how small the individual dose, this ads up and this represents a major health threat.

So, I've gotten the pat down before. If you want to have fun just moan a little when they get close to your happy parts.
    Sean Curry (former) IAH

I had almost the exact experience in TPA two weeks ago. Difference being that I agreed to a pat down. By the time I got to the CP office they already had called him. during the whole "incident" I bit my tounge and was in disbelief about the level of bull$hit they were willing to put a uniformed, badged pilot thru...
    Formerly Canadian Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Do A Barrel Roll View Post
    So you refused the body scanner (I would too) and also refused the pat-down after the metal detector?
    Yes. I don't want them to touch me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    Michael,
    Is there someone you could contact who handled the Steven Bierfeldt deal with the ACLU. He was the guy who the TSA held for having $4700 in cash, and the ACLU sued the TSA for harassment and (not sure what happened there).
    I am working on getting in touch with them and several others. Aside from consulting counsel right now, I'm also just trying to make as many people aware of what is going on as possible. As someone said - get the media heavily involved. Well, I'd love to, but so far they mostly seem to be only interested in pushing the TSA's propaganda like good little lap dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_Lamp View Post
    ...I hope you aren't dragging an entire family down because daddy has a chip on his shoulder. Hopefully one day you'll realize how foolish this move was, and you'll learn about the idiom "Live to fight another day."...
    Actually, it's for my family more than myself or anyone else that I've chosen this course. I hope when 'another day' comes, they'll still be able to put up a fight against such despotic lunacy within some semblance of a civilized, political process. Unfortunately, if your perspective prevails - and I'm afraid it may - we may all live to find ourselves wishing we had fought in earlier days, when we still had a fighting chance. Hopefully one day you (and they) will understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    Kudos Michael. Question...I'm assuming you were, but were you in uniform? If so, don't we have to remove our shirt wings in order to go through the Microwave Oven? What have your duly elected representatives had to say about this, if anything?

So...where is ALPA again???? Oh that's right...John Prater was "takin' it back". Not quite sure what he's taken back (gotten back from management), but it ain't our QOL or salaries. Pfffftt...what a joke.
    Yes, I was in uniform. And, come to think of it, they didn't tell me to remove my wings. Wonder what would've happened if I went in the microwave with them on...

I haven't seen much point in involving the union, but I guess I probably ought to contact them just in case they decide to show up. Not expecting a whole lot, though.
    I'm gonna go make a great pot of coffee. Why don't you have a nice, hot cup of STFU...

I've "opted out" twice, got pat down (granted like an idiot), the guy said thanks see ya later, I said have a good one. Off I went. Why would you think that is the venue to give TSA a civics lesson on civil liberties? Good luck.
    "You guys have a Chicago base?" Yeah started in May. "Oh that's right you started that United stuff, yeah everyone calls you guys ExpressMess."

"I'd give up red meat just to get a glimpse of you in a bra." -GLC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hat View Post
    At the security line is not the place for this fight. I completly agree with you and I would too opt out of the full body scan....its intrusive and an abuse of government. But if you don't do the full body scan, you have to do the pat down.....thats been in FIL's over and over again. My question is that if you know this (assuming you read FIL's) and felt so strongly about not getting patted down, why didn't you start a grassroots campaign to stop it.....was it fine until it directly effected you?
    See this thread for additional background.
    I'm gonna go make a great pot of coffee. Why don't you have a nice, hot cup of STFU...

Quote Originally Posted by SpatialD View Post
    Yes. I don't want them to touch me.
    Why are you an airline pilot then? Why not go fly corporate?

Quote Quote
    I am working on getting in touch with them and several others. Aside from consulting counsel right now, I'm also just trying to make as many people aware of what is going on as possible. As someone said - get the media heavily involved. Well, I'd love to, but so far they mostly seem to be only interested in pushing the TSA's propaganda like good little lap dogs.

Actually, it's for my family more than myself or anyone else that I've chosen this course. I hope when 'another day' comes, they'll still be able to put up a fight against such despotic lunacy within some semblance of a civilized, political process. Unfortunately, if your perspective prevails - and I'm afraid it may - we may all live to find ourselves wishing we had fought in earlier days, when we still had a fighting chance. Hopefully one day you (and they) will understand that.
    Honestly, from these responses, perhaps it's best you're not in the cockpit. I'd encourage you to go talk to a psychiatrist, seriously.

These aren't rights that have been taken away illegally or anything. The rule has always been that when it is in the interest of national security, searches can occur. When a plane flies into the Pentagon, airline travel suddenly becomes an issue of national security. Sorry bud.
    They say that the captain stays fast with the ship,
    Through still and storm,
    But this ain't the Dakota,
    And the water's so cold,
    {We} won't have to fight for long.

I went down with the ship baby!

XJT Furloughee

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_Lamp View Post

Honestly, from these responses, perhaps it's best you're not in the cockpit. I'd encourage you to go talk to a psychiatrist, seriously.

These aren't rights that have been taken away illegally or anything. The rule has always been that when it is in the interest of national security, searches can occur. When a plane flies into the Pentagon, airline travel suddenly becomes an issue of national security. Sorry bud.
    Can't believe it but I actually agree with I_LOVE_LAMP on this one.

It'd be outraged if there WEREN'T security to get into the airport for everyone's safety ... or at least the "appearance of safety". Yeah, pilots shouldn't have to do it, that just means there's room for improvement.

Personally I'd opt out and take the pat down only because I'd like to avoid as much additional radiation as possible (I don't care who sees me naked). I don't see why a pat down would be so objectionable to you, they wear gloves.
    Last edited by irishNJ; 10-16-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Going through in ORD they told me to remove my wings. I told them no thank you. They told me I would have to get a pat down and I said fine. They then had me go through the machine anyway, and on the other side they made me take my belt off and I was patted down (in a truly half-@ssed manner). One passenger even commented that it was stupid they were putting me through that. My reply was, "Ya, God forbid I get control of the airplane." TSA is beyond stupid. They spent a stupid amount of money switching uniforms and getting badges when they could have bought laptops with CASS to allow us to bypass after verification. And why is it ok for rampers to bypass? Seems like it would be simple for station employees to verify the crew on the paperwork and allow us access as they do rampers. I really hate TSA and it's inconsistant, irrational and flat out stupid policies. Good for you for taking a stand. If you need cash for a lawyer, I'll be happy to donate.

I agree we need security, but it needs to make sense. Having a pilot go through the line does not make sense.
    Last edited by meagap; 10-16-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatialD View Post
    Sorry, your link doesn't work. Your not wrong but the venue for your fight is wrong. Its the same as fighting with a gate agent about some airline policy that you disagree with....your not going to get anywhere and the gate agent is just going to go complain about you to his/her fellow gate agents later....they aren't going to send a detailed report to their higher ups about the merits of your complaint and suggest that the rules be changed.

The other point is that the TSA have ALWAYS had the right to decide to pat you down, well before the full body scan machine, should they choose to do so. There are somethings you have to deal with to do this job, TSA is one of those things.....I don't like them either, they are a dog and pony show, nothing more. They contribute nothing and only serve to disciminate against law abiding citizens....they are unprofessional, rude and undeserving of the power the government gives them. The proper response is to make as much noise in the union as you can and start fighing for crew pass or some other solution....but you have to get everyone else to rise up with you, you can't do it on your own....which is what you tried to do. I understand your concerns about civil liberties and an intrisuve government who totally disregards the Constitution......but the best thing you can do for your family is bring home a pay check, fight the good fight on your own time with the help of people who can actually effect change.
    EWR
    E.F.F.E

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Share This Thread

Share This Thread