Custom Search
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, today was the day

Good for you on sticking to your guns. I think you will have the full weight of this pilot group(and I hope many others if your story gets out) to back you up on this. I have been brought to the little room twice before for sticking to my guns on issues with the TSA and both times they could not show me in their rule book what I had done was wrong and let me go. Both times I wrote complaints to the TSA(which on their website they state they take VERY SERIOUSLY). Both times I got a cut and paste canned response from some person who is even less intelligent than the screeners and when I responded I got no other response from them.
    Read your contract.

Michael,
    Is there someone you could contact who handled the Steven Bierfeldt deal with the ACLU. He was the guy who the TSA held for having $4700 in cash, and the ACLU sued the TSA for harassment and (not sure what happened there).

Sorry, I'm going to have to be "that guy"...

How old are you? How long have you been in this industry? I'm guessing the answer to the second part is less than 10 years.

If you started flying professionally in the post 9/11 world, how could you not see this coming? You could. And in fact, judging from your previous posts to which you have linked, you did.

The question arises then, why did you continue to play airline pilot? If it was that morally corrupt of an idea, surely it would be worth a 50% paycut to go fly boxes (worst case, assuming you couldn't find a corporate job) and not have to deal with the TSA? Instead, you're getting a 100% paycut and a big mark on your record. I really, truly, hope that you are a single guy and not subjecting your family to this situation because you want to make a political point (and this is a political point whether you think so or not). You're going to have to accept that your days of playing airline pilot, for all intents and purposes, are completely done.

Congratulations, you fell on your sword for nothing. No policy has changed, or will change, and now you're likely unemployed because of it. Noble? Sure. Stupid? Incredibly. Especially factoring in that you wrote management a letter essentially informing them that you will be the subject of a termination hearing sometime soon. It never ceases to amaze me how dumb my fellow pilots can be.

Look, do I agree with you about the intrusiveness of the TSA? Absolutely. However, since 2001, the TSA has been the name of the game in the airline world. You knew you'd be dealing with this hassle every day for the rest of your career, yet you decided to do it instead of fly jumpers, boxes, or VIPs around. That was your decision and now you're going to have to live with it.

Is it wrong to fight these injustices? Absolutely not. Its just that the method you chose was the absolute incorrect way of doing it. Like it or not, when you're in uniform, even commuting, you're representing XJT. If you cause a problem, it is also the company's problem, unfortunately for us. Dedicate your entire time off to fighting the TSA, that's fine. But, as you demonstrated, being passive aggressive got you nowhere but the unemployment line.

I do hope that you get to keep your job, I just don't see it happening. You acted incredibly stupid (I mean come on, you sent a letter stating that you're not going to comply with national security directives, I would've probably began the termination hearing right there). And like I said before, I hope you aren't dragging an entire family down because daddy has a chip on his shoulder. Hopefully one day you'll realize how foolish this move was, and you'll learn about the idiom "Live to fight another day." Instead, you let your ego do the talking. Good luck with interviews.

Sorry to sound like a dick, and like I said, I completely agree with your stance, but this is absolutely the wrong way of fighting the TSA.
    They say that the captain stays fast with the ship,
    Through still and storm,
    But this ain't the Dakota,
    And the water's so cold,
    {We} won't have to fight for long.

I went down with the ship baby!

XJT Furloughee

Kudos Michael. Question...I'm assuming you were, but were you in uniform? If so, don't we have to remove our shirt wings in order to go through the Microwave Oven? What have your duly elected representatives had to say about this, if anything?

So...where is ALPA again???? Oh that's right...John Prater was "takin' it back". Not quite sure what he's taken back (gotten back from management), but it ain't our QOL or salaries. Pfffftt...what a joke.
    Last edited by V2+15; 10-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    Kudos Michael. Question...I'm assuming you were, but were you in uniform? If so, don't we have to remove our shirt wings in order to go through the Microwave Oven? What have your duly elected representatives had to say about this, if anything?

So...where is ALPA again???? Oh that's right...John Prater was "takin' it back". Not quite sure what he's taken back (gotten back from management), but it ain't our QOL or salaries. Pfffftt...what a joke.
    Exactly! ALPA saw this coming and did nothing but communicate the new rules. ALPA should have headed this crap off before it ever hit the line pilot, but they failed.
    -Me

Dr. Seuss - "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Send this story to the newspapers and call some attorneys.
    "hey bud lets party"

Not doing the machine.

If the machine is ever mandatory, then we're going to have a problem.

I don't mind a professional and reasonable pat-down; doctors do 'worse'.

Of course, getting that professional TSA agent...

Quote Originally Posted by rcb View Post
    Not doing the machine.

If the machine is ever mandatory, then we're going to have a problem.

I don't mind a professional and reasonable pat-down; doctors do 'worse'.

Of course, getting that professional TSA agent...
    I've mentioned it before, but is it unreasonable to ask for a supervisor and LEO be present while your pat-down is being conducted?? This would be my passive/aggressive method of causing a chink in "their" chain...all of a sudden every pilot in the industry asks for a supervisor and LEO to be present for EVERY pat down and perhaps TSA will see the inaneness of their "fool-proof" (oh brother) system.

The primary question still remains..."Why are we even going through 'security' in the first place?!?!?" To appease TSA's dog and pony show?

"TRUSTED IN THE AIR, WHY NOT THROUGH SECURITY?"
    Last edited by V2+15; 10-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

Last edited by whitesox; 10-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    I'm a Super regional, thanks for asking!

"Girls will fu(k you if you drink right from the milk jug" -Worm Quartet

Earth, for now, in the L.A. area with the Tanner Family.
    If you were having problems with the TSA, did you ever email any of the guys on the security committee? My guess is no. If you don't email them about problems you encounter with TSA irregular screenings, how do you expect things to change?
    Gordon Shumway
    ORD CA

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Share This Thread

Share This Thread