Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Management re TSA

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by BE58A36 View Post
    Who is John Galt?
    The name of the Russian Soldier who took Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum
    father's Apothecary.

Quote Originally Posted by CodenameYam View Post

I'm not expressing a view in either direction, but why do you think you absolutely should not be subjected to passenger screening?
    Because we are already on the other side of the bullet proof door. We ARE in control of the airplane - hence making sure we can't take over the controls is a ludicrous notion.

Quote Originally Posted by hou757 View Post
    This has nothing to do with our career goals as it has EVERYTHING to do with protecting lives. The world is different as the terrorist threat is determined to destroy America and cause as much destruction of both lives and of our economy. Sure there has always been terrorists but their intent and following is much greater today than it ever has been. That alone makes the world a different place.

Sorry for the rant but I feel very passionate about this subject and for the protection of this amazing country.
    Interesting point of view. Of course, if the founders valued their security more than liberty, this country wouldn't be so amazing, would it? In fact, it wouldn't be at all.

If we buy into the notion that protecting this amazing country requires subjecting ourselves to the tyranny of the state, then the terrorists have overwhelmingly succeeded in destroying America - rather, seducing us into destroying it ourselves.

It was the oppression of their own government at the time that incited the American Revolutionaries (whom the state labeled terrorists) to declare their independence, and the birth of this amazing country. Of course, all the king wanted was a few pennies on the price of tea and a stamp tax so he could protect them from the threat of wild and evil savages determined to cause as much destruction of both their lives and economy as possible. Why didn't they just pay what he asked? You'd think they would've been grateful for his protection.

There is nothing new under the sun. The world is not a different place. It's still the world.

And for the record Spatial, I think your letter would be much better directed at ALPA and your local congresspeople. I'm sure you'll say ALPA won't do anything, but if thats the case then maybe instead of clicking away at keyboards on the Pipe whining about things, take matters into your own hands and deal with it. Use them bennies to go talk to your congresspeople, your governor, whoever. Make a big enough stink and something will happen.
    Yam, I still don't think you understand the main purpose of my letter. I'm not trying to make something happen here. I do support efforts elsewhere to correct this policy, but in this all I'm trying to do is let the company know where I stand and invite them (including you) to stand with me. I'm not whining about anything, nor am I asking for anything. I have sought clarification from TSA as to how this policy may affect my ability to report for work and am still waiting for an answer. In the meantime, I feel it's necessary to inform the company of my position based on the information currently published by the TSA and the recent FIL.

In response to all your ideological arguments, I think it's sufficient to refer you back to my letter itself. If, after contemplating these things, you are content to comply with the new program, I think the best I can do is respect your right to disagree. I do think your perspective is a bit naive, but you are hardly alone in that.

Quote Originally Posted by kniltej View Post
    You think these whole body scanners are gonna stop terrorists? NO Ever heard of body packing? Ever seen what prisoners make inside a prison given just whats around them? Hell Im surprised a terrorist hasnt tried a body bomb yet. Stick some C4 and a detonator up the rectum and boom! A Whole Body Scanner isnt gonna catch that. A terrorist can just as easily make a knife or some other sharp instrument INSIDE SECURITY than they can bringing it from outside. But what if they try that? Are all of yall gonna start consenting to xrays to go through security? Cavity Searches? Just because it will "save lives". At some point you have to stop and say NO!
    'zactly. And, on the question of crewmembers having to pass through security, I don't have any reservations in stating the obvious: even if we had to strip naked, bend over, and spread 'em every time we enter the secured area, we're still in control of the flight deck. So after all the appropriate background checks and everything, it ultimately comes down to a calculated leap of faith that the guys up front are friendly (and I don't mean that in a "bend over and spread 'em" sort of way).

Quote Originally Posted by tunafish778 View Post
    “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Benjamin Franklin.

Crew Pass or nothing!
    Right on. But as far as the crew pass thing goes, I think it's a no-brainer that subjecting us to pax screening is idiotic (see point above). Where I seem to differ from a lot of you is on the question of whether it is desirable - or even tolerable - for a government agent to stop someone who's just passing by and make them empty their pockets, frisk them, and all the rest before allowing them to carry on, just to be sure they don't have anything they're not supposed to. Would it be acceptable if they did this before allowing us to use the Interstate system, or the library, or the grocery store, or visiting the Grand Canyon? Will it be acceptable when you're traveling with your wife and kids to have some federal security guard who answered a job ad on a pizza box put his hands all over them, with particular emphasis (according to TSA guidance) focusing on "the area between the upper thighs and torso region," where the underwear bomber packed his load? Evidently, many of you would say yes, it is acceptable. Again, the best I can do is respect your right to disagree. But there's no freaking way I would subject my little children to such a horrific thing at the hands of a total stranger. And I won't be participating myself, either.

If I'm going to get naked or physical, it's going to be on my own terms with people I know and trust and there's a good chance of alcohol being involved. But when it comes to Big Brother trying to extend the reach of his dominion even to include my own body, I just don't think it's as much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    I'm gonna go make a great pot of coffee. Why don't you have a nice, hot cup of STFU...

Its part of the job, deal with it.
    Wow. Don't you have some stockings to wash in a hotel coffee pot or something?

Quote Originally Posted by SpatialD View Post
    Yam, I still don't think you understand the main purpose of my letter. I'm not trying to make something happen here. I do support efforts elsewhere to correct this policy, but in this all I'm trying to do is let the company know where I stand and invite them (including you) to stand with me. I'm not whining about anything, nor am I asking for anything. I have sought clarification from TSA as to how this policy may affect my ability to report for work and am still waiting for an answer. In the meantime, I feel it's necessary to inform the company of my position based on the information currently published by the TSA and the recent FIL.
    I guess I fail to see the purpose in wasting your energy writing an verbose diatribe that one person will read, chuckle at, and delete.

But that seems to be the norm for you guys. Lots of whining, no action.

It ain't worth it...
    "If you're a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too..." - Maj. Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" - Gerald R. Ford
    Blaming the NRA for Sandy Hook is like blaming AAA for Drunk Drivers

R.I.P. United States Constitution
    4 MAR 1789 - 6 NOV 2012

"Attitude reflect leadership, Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by Emb195 View Post
    I'm Republican. I voted for GW. I'll be damned if Mullah Mullah gets through because some liberal junkie like you - thinks national defense is compromisable! laughable!!
    The TSA won't prevent any terrorist from bringing through any bombs - their success rate was well under 1 in 4, if I remember the last test correctly.

The only thing they'll be able to do is prevent terrorists from washing their hair.
    "I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care plan" -- Barack Obama, June 30, 2003

"I have not said that I am a single payer supporter" -- Barack Obama, August 11, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST84DJMD_eM

I'm not expressing a view in either direction, but why do you think you absolutely should not be subjected to passenger screening?
    We go through a 10 year FBI background check to get into this job, that is as good of security as you are going to get with pilots, after that it is faith. Is a body scanner, metal detector, pat down, etc. etc. going to stop a pilot from taking the freaking CRASH AXE! that is a required piece of equipment in the cockpit and chopping the other pilot up into pieces and then doing whatever they wanted with the plane??? It makes no logical sense to make a pilot go through security because when it is all said and done and the TSA has stolen everyone's water and shampoo, a pilot will still have at least 10 different pieces of safety equipment etc. in the cockpit that could be used as a weapon to subdue the other pilot and then would be able to do whatever they wanted with the aircraft without anyone ever knowing or being able to do anything about it until it was too late.

As for the traveling public, it is a matter of civil liberties. Do you agree with the constitution? Just parts of it? All of it some of the time but other times we can bend the rules just so I "feel safe"? At what point would you finally take a stand against an overreaching state that encroaches too far?

How will body scanners protect anyone from some nut who has C-4 shoved up his arse? What about a woman with breast implants filled with explosives? That's where things are headed next. These scanners will do nothing to protect anyone, only allow the state to extend its reach further and further over the people.
    Last edited by xjetfng; 08-21-2010 at 08:22 PM.

LAX --> PWOP --> EWR --> ORD --> EWR --> DC-10 FO --> 767 FO

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Share This Thread

Share This Thread