Custom Search
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to Management re TSA

2 questions:

1. Has anyone personally ever been asked to go through one of these machines as a working crew member?

(Every time I encounter one I am instructed by TSA to bypass)

2. Can you not just refuse it?

(I know, I know, but then you get the pat down)

Anyway, I agree with you spatial, but I think you are just wasting your breath on this one. I hope I am wrong.
    Mmmm... crack pipe....

Quote Originally Posted by Emb195 View Post
    I'm Republican. I voted for GW. I'll be damned if Mullah Mullah gets through because some liberal junkie like you - thinks national defense is compromisable! laughable!!
    Man, you really are a Republican, aren't you? I'm not sure what part of my position makes me a liberal (I think your comment was directed toward me). Did you mean to say libertarian? In any case, what I am NOT is a servile, state-worshiping sycophant. 'Mullah Mullah' is not the primary threat - it's the overstepping encroachment and tyrannical designs of certain elements within our own government (spanning both sides of the fence) that we should be protecting ourselves against. Read a history book. There's nothing new about what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by CodenameYam View Post
    Well if you want them to laugh at you, sure.

Remove the part that you direct to management, and just send this to your senator/congresspeople instead.
    Um, who do you think is behind this lusty grab for state control over our lives? Only the least significant, least influential congresspeople, and no Senators, would back me up here.

Sounds like maybe my letter wasn't as clear as I thought. I'm not going through the scanners, and I'm not going to let them put their hands on me. Being laughed at wouldn't change that.

This letter isn't a bleeding heart attempt to change the policy per se. It's my effort to be proactive in communicating my position to the company before I am unable to report for work one day on account of the TSA not letting me in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    2 questions:

1. Has anyone personally ever been asked to go through one of these machines as a working crew member?

Anyway, I agree with you spatial, but I think you are just wasting your breath on this one. I hope I am wrong.
    1. Until very recently it has only been in the test phase. The FIL on this was prompted by the TSA's recent announcement that they're taking it to the next level. Their communication seems to indicate that it's WBI or a frisking every time you pass through one of these check points, but I'm not sure if it has actually been fully implemented anywhere yet. Nevertheless, the TSA has announced it, and the company has passed it on to us, and they haven't communicated any alternative to scanning or frisking.

2. Sure, you can refuse the scanners. You can also refuse being felt up. I refuse both. But I guess they can also refuse to let you in - and there's the rub, and the primary purpose for my letter. If I were trying to change the world, I probably would be wasting my breath. But I'm just letting my employer know where I stand, as I mentioned above.
    Last edited by SpatialD; 08-21-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by V2+15 View Post
    I'm gonna go make a great pot of coffee. Why don't you have a nice, hot cup of STFU...

Thank you spatial d you get it. Dumb*** pilots.

I can see both sides of the argument - but it only takes one radicalized 20something with nitrate filled diaper to put your msierable career expectations to pasture for good.
    Right, because people age 30 and over never do anything wrong.
    Last edited by RIslander; 08-21-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High School Graduate View Post
    Would it still make a sonic boom if the groundspeed was greater than mach 1?

I'm Republican. I voted for GW. I'll be damned if Mullah Mullah gets through because some liberal junkie like you - thinks national defense is compromisable! laughable!!
    Wow, someone must have run out of Skoal cherry flavor.

I'm amazed that our government won't secure our borders between Mexico and Canada but will...

...go to this level of inspection to secure the traveling public...where EVERYONE is profiled as a potential terrorist. This government goes to great lengths to secure airport property...guarded fences and electronic eyes and profiling EVERYONE who enters as a potential criminal.

Just maybe if the massive project of securing our borders was taken seriously...(if we could develop the MASSIVE Interstate Highway system during the 50's/60's, there is no reason why we can't secure our borders)...

...and EVERYONE entering the country is subjected to the same inspection level that the traveling public is subjected to...with our borders secured exactly like our airport property is...then maybe the traveling public and airline crews would not be subjected to these extreme levels of inspection.

I'm just wondering what's next? After this level of inspection is common, what will be the next level of inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    2 questions:

1. Yes. In ELP, they tried to make us go through it.

2. I did refuse and requested a pat down with a supervisor and LEO present. They would not get the LEO. They said I wasn't entitled to one, "unless I was going to be trouble."
    Reid Bartlam
    PHL B767I
    US Airways
    XJT 2004-2013
    Still and Will Always Be Crackpipe NAAncy

If I could personally greet every passenger on this airplane, what I'd say to you is "Thanks for flying with us. And I'll tell ya we're gonna do our very best to take good care of you."

If not allowed to opt out, I'll just request the pat-down. I will NEVER go through one of these scanners in uniform. Never. I promise.
    COEX Alumni: 1999-2012

This post is just my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I claim no affiliation with any company, corporation, trade union, or association.

I have on good authority that they won't be making an appearance in Terminal A in EWR for quite awhile.

Frankly I fail to see what the issue is with these machines, and with the TSA in general. Is it a perfect system? Absolutely not. Is there a better man for the job? Absolutely. But until another group takes over (my vote is the military), it will have to do. Would you rather see no one there? Would you rather the safety of yourselves, your families, and your passengers be left up to:
    -overworked and underpaid pilots
    -overworked and underpaid flight attendants
    -gate agents (i mean, really?, on this one. I've had to take beers from peoples hands as they boarded in IAH, you think that agent is going to notice if Jack or Mohammed is acting suspicious?)

You can shout smoke and mirrors all you want, but fact of the matter is these guys are doing something, even if its not perfect. And they don't like screening us just about as much as we don't like clearing through. But until a better system (crew pass, whatever)happens, if you don't like the machines (radiation, privacy, whatever) then take the pat down. It's not like they're going to be grabbing your boobs and balls (and if they do, its supervisor time). You don't have to be hostile, and demand an LEO (you aren't entitled to have one present), but if you want a supervisor, go ahead and ask. Serious guys, do you make this big of a stink when you're clearing security into a concert or up the Empire State building? Its part of the job, deal with it. Personally I'd much rather sacrifice 5 extra minutes a day than die because some fool decided blowing up an ERJ was a good plan.

And for the record Spatial, I think your letter would be much better directed at ALPA and your local congresspeople. I'm sure you'll say ALPA won't do anything, but if thats the case then maybe instead of clicking away at keyboards on the Pipe whining about things, take matters into your own hands and deal with it. Use them bennies to go talk to your congresspeople, your governor, whoever. Make a big enough stink and something will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CodenameYam View Post
    Its part of the job, deal with it. Personally I'd much rather sacrifice 5 extra minutes a day than die because some fool decided blowing up an ERJ was a good plan.
    Don't you have a flight attendant forum to go play in? Your naivety does not fit in here.

Body scanners are NOT PART OF MY JOB.

If I am non-revving somewhere... OK. Not for WORKING CREW MEMBERS THOUGH.

You spend your extra five minutes disrobing and getting harassed to DO YOUR JOB. I'll pass. Flight crews should not be subjected to PASSENGER screening. period. Why can't you understand that?

Crew Pass... When?
    COEX Alumni: 1999-2012

This post is just my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I claim no affiliation with any company, corporation, trade union, or association.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Share This Thread

Share This Thread