Custom Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punished for clocking in early!

So we have just been told in SHV that starting real soon that we will get written up for clocking in more then 7 minutes early. So if I get to work 15 min. early I have to wait until 7 till before I can clock in or I get written up. Then to top it off they told us it was a federal law. We looked up the laws and it says nothing of the sort.

http://www.dol.gov./dol/allcfr/ESA/T...9CFR785.26.htm
    http://www.dol.gov./dol/allcfr/ESA/T...29CFR785.9.htm
    http://www.dol.gov./dol/allcfr/ESA/T...29CFR785.8.htm
    http://www.dol.gov./dol/allcfr/ESA/T...CFR778.204.htm
    Why be an aircraft mechanic? Because even pilots need a hero!

cost control......

By our contract we don't get paid overtime without prior approval.
    Why be an aircraft mechanic? Because even pilots need a hero!

Sounds like a situation where you can put your hard earned unoin dues to work. Let them do the running around and research, that's what we (you) all pay dues for.

Good luck in a quick resolution on this one. Seems silly that if you put in your honest days work for an honest days pay you can't 'flex time' it by 15 or so minutes if say for instance you had to get your kid to a ball game, or dance recital or whatever. Sometimes an understanding local supervisor is more prone to let this sort of thing happen, than a person in the management mid-upper echelons as he has to be seen to be 'strong'.
    New TA coming ? I think I hear banjo music....

The Codified Federal laws we found are very clear that employees in work places using time clocks are allowed to clock in early. However unless the employee is working such time is not payable.

I want to see them write up some one for clocking in too early!!!!!!!!!

Ahh.....The games our company likes to play.

Here is a good CFR covering this:

29 CFR 785.48 - Use of time clocks

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.48.htm

I can see where this can be a problem of employees clocking in early then "disappearing" and showing up after their shift starts. Happened with rampers but they can not write you up for clocking in early. Hove your union steward take care of this.
    Homer Simpson: "if you don't like your job, you don't strike: you just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way"

It's no federal law, it has to do with the payroll system ExpressJet uses.

If you clock in more than 7 minutes early, XPORT will try to pay you an extra 15 minutes (it calculates pay in 15 minute increments). Similarly, if you clock in 7 minutes late, you would still get paid for your whole shift, even though you would be marked late. But, this also means you can clock out 7 minutes early and get paid for your whole shift

The only reason they don't want you to clock in early is because then XPORT shows the time as a discrepancy, so whomever does payroll has to manually go in and correct your hours to the time you actually worked which takes way more time than it should due to the painfully slow XPORT system.

If you just clock in 7 minutes early and leave on time, then XPORT will automatically process everything and save you some time.

Ohhh useless information, when will you leave my head?

Last edited by Boondocker; 10-11-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTA_145 View Post
    It's no federal law, it has to do with the payroll system ExpressJet uses.

If you clock in more than 7 minutes early, XPORT will try to pay you an extra 15 minutes (it calculates pay in 15 minute increments). Similarly, if you clock in 7 minutes late, you would still get paid for your whole shift, even though you would be marked late. But, this also means you can clock out 7 minutes early and get paid for your whole shift

The only reason they don't want you to clock in early is because then XPORT shows the time as a discrepancy, so whomever does payroll has to manually go in and correct your hours to the time you actually worked which takes way more time than it should due to the painfully slow XPORT system.

If you just clock in 7 minutes early and leave on time, then XPORT will automatically process everything and save you some time.

Ohhh useless information, when will you leave my head?
    That's exactly how payroll worked at my previous employer. People clocking in 8 min early were a PITA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information