Custom Search
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CFI renewal

Quote Originally Posted by hou757 View Post
    You mean Jeppesen. Not sure how the gleim is.... Good luck in whichever you choose! Time to go have a few more beers and check the boards tomorrow for "the UAL announcement"!!???
    Sh1t man, you're right. I can't keep this stuff straight. Thanks again for the info- will order it tomorrow. (might need to keep the CFI current incase XJT closes it's doors.........)
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus5897 View Post
    ...might need to keep the CFI current...
    Absolutely... Do anything you can to never let it expire!
    Bob Moyer

EWR FO -> IAH FO -> SAT FO -> IAH CA -> ONT CA -> EWR CA........................The circle is complete.
    ------------------------------
    Maine... The way life should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just a reminder,

If you are a captain... find an Air Carrier (121) FSDO and call to speak to an inspector. Ask them if you could set up an appointment with them to renew your CFI based on "Duties and Responsibilities", or more specifically the very last "or" statement in 61.197 (a)(2)(ii).

It's usually a 15 minute appointment.

I've yet to have to pay Gleim, Jeppesen, AOPA, or American Flyers for any renewal course.
    I'm amazed you pulled this off! I was calling OKC and had a few conversations in the local FSDO and discussed the reg in question and was pretty much told they are no longer allowed to renew on that basis.

The Gleim course is the easiest course. The FAA requirement is 16 hours to complete. American Flyers requires you to be online for 16 hours the Gleim course should take you less than 2 hours. Also they used to give Expressjet employees a discount. I think it was 100 bucks for the renewal and the paperwork processing. Just call them and give them your employee number. You will not be able to get the discount if you order it online.

As far as a FSDO renewal it all depends on the office you go to. You must be a 121 captain. Some will renew and others will not. Call them ahead of time to find out if they will do the renewal.

Lots of great responses, but I just finished renewing mine so I thought I'd add. I've used Gleim for all three of my renewals and had nothing but great experiences. Easy to complete and killer customer service. I'm a lazy SOB, so I spring for their ACR service as well.
    Robert Paulson

Sore does not equal training. Tired does not equal training. Running does not equal lifting.

Any opinions on how to get a certificate back that has expired? Yes, I'm a slacker. Anyhow, I hear if you renew one (CFI, CFII, or MEI) that it will cover the others? That correct? If so, how would you recommend getting it back? A weekend trip to All ATP's?
    DustinM
    BNA Commuter
    ORD CA

Just used the Gleim last month. Very easy, very quick. Deduct the cost from your taxes, great deal.
    SWA FO
    FL '06-'14
    XJT '98-'06

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus5897 View Post
    Anyone know if these shenanigans still work? or has AF caught on and changed the way you view the pages? Anyway, mine is due the end of Dec so it's between AF and Gleim. Thanks for the input
    Yes, It still works. I just renewed with American Flyers for the 5th time in April using the same answer key from 2001. I live in Philly and the PHL FSDO is one of the few that will renew on merit. I still use AF because I Paid $99 in 2001 for lifetime, so (1) it's free now and (2) I only spend 30 minutes total using the auto refresh feature in Firefox or IE using and add in. If I do the 25 min. drive to the FSDO it will still be 1.5 hrs total all said and done.

If you do American flyers make sure to print out the tests or save to pdf with your answers in the boxes. You can then use them next time around.

If your CFI exprires, you have to take another ride with the FAA, or a DPE if you can find one that is allowed to do CFI's. Best bet is to use the one you got it from the first time...even better is to go out and get another rating and tag on the CFI to the ride (seaplane, ATP, etc). It resets the clock for all CFI ratings.

General rule is NEVER let it expire. I like AOPA's Jepp course the best, no time constraint and easy test questions. Finished in 2 hours.
    Almos' Pau! Try Wait!

TAKING IT BACK.....In Full Reverse

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just a reminder,

If you are a captain... find an Air Carrier (121) FSDO and call to speak to an inspector. Ask them if you could set up an appointment with them to renew your CFI based on "Duties and Responsibilities", or more specifically the very last "or" statement in 61.197 (a)(2)(ii).

It's usually a 15 minute appointment.

I've yet to have to pay Gleim, Jeppesen, AOPA, or American Flyers for any renewal course.
    They wouldn't do it for me in IAH, unless I am a check airman.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information