Custom Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumpseat

Why are pilots jump seating without their ALPA pin?

Is it that difficult to wear a pin to show your support for your fellow ALPA brothers and sisters.

Perhaps the pin and card should be made a requirement for J/S.

Now for all you junior CEO's that say hey what if your not ALPA.

Fine were the horse head or the IAM or whatever union you represent.

A serious question, then: Is it ALPA policy that the pin be worn when seeking the jumpseat?
    Robert Paulson

Sore does not equal training. Tired does not equal training. Running does not equal lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by xjetsig View Post
    Why are pilots jump seating without their ALPA pin?

Is it that difficult to wear a pin to show your support for your fellow ALPA brothers and sisters.

Perhaps the pin and card should be made a requirement for J/S.

Now for all you junior CEO's that say hey what if your not ALPA.

Fine were the horse head or the IAM or whatever union you represent.
    I don't even have a pin, nor would I wear one when I was in plain-clothes, which is how I usually jumpseat.

Sorry brother, but I have to disagree.

In hoc,
    Double D

I don't disagree with you not wearing a pin in plainclothes, but why do you not even have one?

Do you need assistance with obtaining a pin?

do we really need the pin? we already have that id/backflap thing that says xjt alpa on it. everyone wears it. Mine has a crack in it... dont even know where to get a new one but thats another story.

requiring a pin is just one more thing for me to forget when its 0330 in the morning and i am running late. thanks but no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpilot84 View Post
    requiring a pin is just one more thing for me to forget when its 0330 in the morning and i am running late. thanks but no thanks.
    Mine stays on my tie at all times. If anyone needs help getting a pin or an ALPA card, PM me.
    Reid Bartlam
    PHL B767I
    US Airways
    XJT 2004-2013
    Still and Will Always Be Crackpipe NAAncy

If I could personally greet every passenger on this airplane, what I'd say to you is "Thanks for flying with us. And I'll tell ya we're gonna do our very best to take good care of you."

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
    I don't disagree with you not wearing a pin in plainclothes, but why do you not even have one?

Do you need assistance with obtaining a pin?
    No, I don't want one...I'm sure that if I wanted one, I could figure out how to get one.

I wear an ALPA lanyard, I pay my dues, I am a staunch supporter of unionized labor...I just don't jump every time that someone decides that they are going to tell me what I can or can't do...Such as wearing a pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Double D View Post
    No, I don't want one...I'm sure that if I wanted one, I could figure out how to get one.

I wear an ALPA lanyard, I pay my dues, I am a staunch supporter of unionized labor...I just don't jump every time that someone decides that they are going to tell me what I can or can't do...Such as wearing a pin.
    Apparently, you don't realize that the pin is very important to show unity and solidarity. It shows you support your pilot group and stand with them. At certain airlines it is EXTREMELY important that you be wearing a pin.

At United, if you do not wear a pin, you are assumed to be a scab. They call them Slick Ties. When you're hired, one night you receive your wings and the next night you receive your ALPA pin. Every ALPA member at United wears their pin.

I don't understand the problem with wearing it and supporting your pilot group.
    Reid Bartlam
    PHL B767I
    US Airways
    XJT 2004-2013
    Still and Will Always Be Crackpipe NAAncy

If I could personally greet every passenger on this airplane, what I'd say to you is "Thanks for flying with us. And I'll tell ya we're gonna do our very best to take good care of you."

Quote Originally Posted by SF3Flyer View Post
    Apparently, you don't realize that the pin is very important to show unity and solidarity. It shows you support your pilot group and stand with them. At certain airlines it is EXTREMELY important that you be wearing a pin.

At United, if you do not wear a pin, you are assumed to be a scab. They call them Slick Ties. When you're hired, one night you receive your wings and the next night you receive your ALPA pin. Every ALPA member at United wears their pin.

I don't understand the problem with wearing it and supporting your pilot group.
    Any one who knows me, is very aware of the fact that I support the pilot group...I don't need pieces of "flair" to show that I am a member of ALPA...

Also, not everyone at United wears their pins...First hand knowledge.

Second, the guys at United who "require" you to wear a pin to jumpseat, are probably the same morons who checked my name against a Continental scab list just to make sure that I didn't cross the picket line in the 1980's...Eventhough, I don't work for Continental (and never have), not to mention the fact that I would have been 5 years old when all of the scabs started working at CAL.
    Last edited by Double D; 06-15-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon, I mean pin?
    YouTube - Who Doesn't Want To Wear The Ribbon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information